Singapore Expats

If you could live anywhere in Singapore....

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
BoroBoy
Regular
Regular

Post by BoroBoy » Fri, 25 Jan 2013 12:31 pm

What about River Gate http://property.singaporeexpats.com/ren ... /RIVERGATE . The apartments are beautiful inside and very child friendly, and its in a great area. Lots of bars and places to eat scattered down the river. Bit of a walk to the MRT but taxis pass by all of the time.

Dunno if there are any penthouses available at the moment tho.

Search By

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 25 Jan 2013 12:42 pm

Not being funny but...

Living in Singapore, and telling everyone you live at 'The Caribbean'.

No, fail, right there.

thismyvoice
Chatter
Chatter

Post by thismyvoice » Fri, 25 Jan 2013 11:01 pm

Well, if you are open to all areas, you may want to check out The Parc condominium at district 5 (West Coast area). Less than 5 years, moderate walk to MRT, penthouse available. It is 1 to 2 class below Reflections so you will save a ton.

If you want to experience living in a HDB estate where most locals live, check out Twin Regency (District 3). Near MRT, near market and near small shopping centre. Short drive to city centre, Orchard Road and Sentosa.

The condominiums at Fort Road is nice, but most are a bit old. It may be a long walk to MRT station. Fort road is however near a driving range, golf course and the sea.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 26 Jan 2013 12:26 pm

thismyvoice wrote: If you want to experience living in a HDB estate where most locals live
Just stop right there. Why would someone with a $15k-20k per month housing budget want to "experience" living in an HDB estate? You realize how ridiculous that sounds, right? That's 3x the average family's total monthly income.

thismyvoice
Chatter
Chatter

Post by thismyvoice » Wed, 30 Jan 2013 11:46 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
thismyvoice wrote: If you want to experience living in a HDB estate where most locals live
Just stop right there. Why would someone with a $15k-20k per month housing budget want to "experience" living in an HDB estate? You realize how ridiculous that sounds, right? That's 3x the average family's total monthly income.
Tiong Bahru is not exactly a slum. It has restaurants, a small shopping centre and decent local food within short walking distance. Definitely more comfortable than the squeeze in MRT. I know of people with this kind of budget staying in shophouses, near HDB estates. Besides, I think the penthouse at Twin Regency is within his budget.

It is his money and it is up to him to make his own decision.

freshmeat

Post by freshmeat » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 9:30 am

colio wrote:
As for schools, you may want to look at Stamford American International School in Woodleigh. This is much closer to the CBD than SAS. Stamford just opened a brand new $300m campus & is being touted as a "super school" with amazing technology. They also have a lot more places vacant as they are a new-ish school but run by an excellent organisation that also runs the Australian International School close by.

My 7 year old has been enrolled at Stamford & she begins school shortly after we relocate at end of February. We are staying close by so that she can walk to school. Much easier on a 7 year old to settle in if they live close to school I think.

There are some nice cluster & landed houses in the Woodleigh area as well as executive condo's.
Colio,

Thanks for your post. I was focused getting my 8 year old to SAS but with the wait list, I'm looking for options. Ideally we'd like to stay close to school for him to bike or walk. I will look at Stamford when we visit SG next month. I agree with you, with long wait list in some popular schools, it's probably better to lock down the school first before choosing a place to stay.

Thank you all, this thread is very helpful.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 12:32 pm

Don't let him bike anywhere where he has to cross a street or ride on the road if you value his life.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

freshmeat

Post by freshmeat » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 1:24 pm

SMS,

Good tip, thanks. I remembered SG drivers weren't too bad, they stopped at pedestrian crossing. Perhaps things have changed since.

Didn't know you are Raven fan, congratulations!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 2:27 pm

Been a rash of accidents recently, the lastest killed two young boys on a bicycle coming home from school. Were crossing the street when whacked by a cement mixer truck. Still not sure of all the facts behind it, but it was a local driver (been some others here that made the news bigtime as well, buses whacking pedestrians with PRC driver, etc., etc.

Yeah, what to do? I'm from the eastern shore of Maryland. :cool: Got my Ravens Cap on here in the office as well! :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

freshmeat

Post by freshmeat » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 3:49 pm

Hopefully you get to watch it live this morning. I'm a Bear's fan so no real motivation to go to a sports bar before 7am to get a seat.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 5:30 pm

Nah, no such luck watching it, but my sis and bros were keeping me up to date via FB. Would have liked to see the game but I guess I'll just have to settle with recaps.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 5:50 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Nah, no such luck watching it, but my sis and bros were keeping me up to date via FB. Would have liked to see the game but I guess I'll just have to settle with recaps.
I read it was streamed on cbs's website. Was it US only?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 6:05 pm

No idea. I'm not so hardcore anyway. I always root for the home team, but I'll not leave my comfort zone unless it were to be in the stadium itself.

freshmeat

Post by freshmeat » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 6:19 pm

Ahh... Soldier Field in summer is awesome, winter.. not so much.

Are there sports bar in SG that show live NFL?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 7:21 pm

freshmeat wrote:Ahh... Soldier Field in summer is awesome, winter.. not so much.

Are there sports bar in SG that show live NFL?
Most likely not, since most live NFL would be ~4am-12pm Monday mornings in the local time :)