Singapore Expats

How many PR's became non-resident in 2011?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
enslaved

How many PR's became non-resident in 2011?

Post by enslaved » Sat, 19 Jan 2013 9:30 pm

I was going through the immigration data.

In 2011, New PRs' number is 27,531. Number of new citizens is 15,777.

Now, let number of dead PRs is X, and born PR is Y. Usually X and Y are very small, as PRs' born children in Singapore are citizens in general, and as PR's don't die in general in the sense they die as citizens or non-residents by renouncing and retiring elsewhere with their CPF monies. Therefore let us neglect X and Y.

But the population data shows the number of living PRs have decreased. Therefore, does it mean 27531 minus 15777, i.e., roughly 12,000 PR's became non-residents in Singapore in 2011?

enslaved

Post by enslaved » Sat, 19 Jan 2013 9:43 pm

A Correction. The living PRs decreased in 2011 by 9000. Therefore the PR's who became non-resident is 27531-15777+9000, i.e, roughly 21,000. So many got scared of WP and SDP? WP should regret the loss of FT's

hellboy_sing

Post by hellboy_sing » Sat, 19 Jan 2013 9:46 pm

A quick google says -3400 (0.7%) per year:
http://www.nptd.gov.sg/content/NPTD/hom ... ed.%20.pdf

enslaved

Post by enslaved » Sat, 19 Jan 2013 9:50 pm

3,400. Well, that is only the number of surrendered PR-ships. There is also chucked out PRs that we need to consider[/quote]

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 19 Jan 2013 10:48 pm

Now, let number of dead PRs is X, and born PR is Y. Usually X and Y are very small, as PRs' born children in Singapore are citizens in general, and as PR's don't die in general in the sense they die as citizens or non-residents by renouncing and retiring elsewhere with their CPF monies. Therefore let us neglect X and Y.
enslaved, that is totally incorrect. The only way a child born in Singapore can become a citizen is if one of the parents is already a Singapore citizen, if they are PR's then the child will be whatever nationality the parents are and will only be given a Birth Certificate of a foreign national born in Singapore, nothing more.

Having said that, who cares how many left. The more the better for the rest of us.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 19 Jan 2013 10:54 pm

PRs are not scared of wp, sdp etc. They are scared of the rising costs and lack of opportunities. Especially those that haven't bought a hdb yet, will struggle.

Another category are those with partial family who got PR but their spouse are not getting it or children are not getting it, they too are getting frustrated and going back. I personally know several who recently renounced and went back.

I woul expect the number of applications drastically reducing in the future due to the new rules restricting PRs from buying houses.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 19 Jan 2013 11:04 pm

Ain't it great! :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sun, 20 Jan 2013 8:01 am

I'm not at all scared of the WP/SDP. In fact I've been a long term WP supporter and actually gave the old many money when he was selling his books. I don't know how many PR's you know but not many I'd say!
Now I'm called PNGMK

enslaved

Post by enslaved » Sun, 20 Jan 2013 10:59 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
enslaved, that is totally incorrect. The only way a child born in Singapore can become a citizen is if one of the parents is already a Singapore citizen, if they are PR's then the child will be whatever nationality the parents are and will only be given a Birth Certificate of a foreign national born in Singapore, nothing more.

Having said that, who cares how many left. The more the better for the rest of us.
MSM, I am bit puzzled at this, as I know a PR couple whose son born in Singapore is a Singapore citizen.

But anyway, let us include your concern and wd40's. Now let Z be the PRs born. Then the number of PRs who became non resident in 2011 is 27531+Z-15777+9000 which is atleast 21,000.

Such a figure is important to shut the mouth of the people who develop illwills against immigration. We can argue that the government gives PRships, and also axes them. (However, I agree that I made mistake in my second post when I assumed that the figure I quoted meant PRs renounced the privilege offered).

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 20 Jan 2013 12:54 pm

There is where you are fundamentally wrong. You are assuming that the locals have a modicum of common sense, which they do not. The have just found social media and like children in a toy store with try it out section, the are going to complain until they get hurt. e.g., MNC & SME start moving to the neighbouring countries and they start feeling what REAL unemployment feels like. Most childish mentalities can only learn the hard way, not listening to those of use who have been there and done that.

All the convoluted maths and formulas are a complete waste of time. Do you think that if I were to want to immigrate to India they would let me? Regardless of WHAT kind of formula you show me? Or you trying to immigrate to the US. After 10 years you might get lucky provided you can get an H1B to start with. Singapore doesn't really care how you feel about it and it's getting that way everywhere now. They are concerned with abusers (who are actually the ones who have caused all the problems in the first place) and the pogrom is against those who are the biggest abusers and sadly, form one of the minorities of Singapore and have skewed the demographics and alienated much of the population with their unwarranted superiority complexes.

I'm sure you will find, if you were to research it closely, there there is more to it than that, regarding the Singapore citizen son of PR's. There is something you are unaware of, but generally speaking, it's not going to happen unless one of the parents is a Singapore Citizen.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Sun, 20 Jan 2013 2:11 pm

SMS is correct in that children of PRs are not automatically citizens. These children are not even automatically PRs. Based on experience and anecdotal evidence, PR approval of these children (applied on 2010 and later) is very rare nowadays especially for certain nationalities (Filipino,PRC, Indian). My own daughter is on LTVP and her PR application has been rejected.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sun, 20 Jan 2013 5:27 pm

enslaved wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:

MSM, I am bit puzzled at this, as I know a PR couple whose son born in Singapore is a Singapore citizen.

But anyway, let us include your concern and wd40's. Now let Z be the PRs born. Then the number of PRs who became non resident in 2011 is 27531+Z-15777+9000 which is atleast 21,000.

Such a figure is important to shut the mouth of the people who develop illwills against immigration. We can argue that the government gives PRships, and also axes them. (However, I agree that I made mistake in my second post when I assumed that the figure I quoted meant PRs renounced the privilege offered).
The Newpaper had an article today along these lines.
Now I'm called PNGMK