Singapore Expats

Mobile phone battery life - conundrum

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 21 Jan 2013 11:22 pm

Ok thanks peeps.

I've turned off GPS and Bluetooth, the former I don't need right now, the latter I've never used.

I need wi-fi, to route free mobile calls through WhatsApp. However for most of the day the router is less than a metre from the phone, so I'm hoping that the wi-fi is not a huge issue.

I'll try that App you mentioned Lynx, and see what it says.

Appreciate all the hints and tips.

Cheers!

p.s. Worrying if your phone will last out the day is what I was doing with my first mobile (a Motorola mini-brickphone), coincidentally in Singapore, 20 years ago now. Seems funny being back in that position now.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 22 Jan 2013 9:01 am

JR8 wrote: I need wi-fi, to route free mobile calls through WhatsApp. However for most of the day the router is less than a metre from the phone, so I'm hoping that the wi-fi is not a huge issue.
Wifi won't be a major drain. Even if you're on Wifi though, a weak cell signal will still drain you as your cell will try to hunt around for a good tower. On an iPhone, you can turn on Airplane mode (disabling all "antennas" hah), then manually enable just Wifi to solve this if it's an issue (when I travel, I do this and then attach to a Mifi with a roaming data sim to conserve battery). I'm sure you can do this with Android, but you may need to install a third party app to let you. Honestly not sure as I haven't tried.

Also, Whatsapp is only text messages and media, not calls. I'm guessing you mean Viber or something. If you really mean Whatsapp, you're going to have a hard time if you ever try to make a call in an emergency :D

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 22 Jan 2013 9:33 am

zzm9980 wrote:
JR8 wrote: I need wi-fi, to route free mobile calls through WhatsApp. However for most of the day the router is less than a metre from the phone, so I'm hoping that the wi-fi is not a huge issue.
Wifi won't be a major drain. Even if you're on Wifi though, a weak cell signal will still drain you as your cell will try to hunt around for a good tower. On an iPhone, you can turn on Airplane mode (disabling all "antennas" hah), then manually enable just Wifi to solve this if it's an issue (when I travel, I do this and then attach to a Mifi with a roaming data sim to conserve battery). I'm sure you can do this with Android, but you may need to install a third party app to let you. Honestly not sure as I haven't tried.

Also, Whatsapp is only text messages and media, not calls. I'm guessing you mean Viber or something. If you really mean Whatsapp, you're going to have a hard time if you ever try to make a call in an emergency :D
Airplane mode then turn on wifi also has the net effect on androids, no third party app needed.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 22 Jan 2013 4:06 pm

zzm9980 wrote: Also, Whatsapp is only text messages and media, not calls. I'm guessing you mean Viber or something. If you really mean Whatsapp, you're going to have a hard time if you ever try to make a call in an emergency :D
I checked and you're right. Whatsapp for SMS's, and Viber for calls.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 22 Jan 2013 5:43 pm

JR8 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: Also, Whatsapp is only text messages and media, not calls. I'm guessing you mean Viber or something. If you really mean Whatsapp, you're going to have a hard time if you ever try to make a call in an emergency :D
I checked and you're right. Whatsapp for SMS's, and Viber for calls.
You'll find pains in the asses that will message through Viber too.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 24 Jan 2013 4:35 am

Ok, last charged on Sunday, and now 3 odd days (76hrs) later, with normal i.e. low usage, it is at 19% battery left.

A huge improvement. So many thanks everyone!

:)

p.s. Next morning update: Ultimately I got 85hrs, when at '10% battery left' I put it back on charge.
Last edited by JR8 on Thu, 24 Jan 2013 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 24 Jan 2013 9:05 am

JR8 wrote:Ok, last charged on Sunday, and now 3 odd days (76hrs) later, with normal i.e. low usage, it is at 19% battery left.

A huge improvement. So many thanks everyone!

:)
You should post your battery usage to tech threads. You'll be hailed as a legend.

Or go to Settings>Battery, get a screenshot of your battery graph (it should be hold volume down and power buttons).

If I didn't know you barely use your phone, I wouldn't believe you.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 24 Jan 2013 2:59 pm

With such low usage and always in range of your wifi, why don't you just leave it plugged in? You would have been a perfect candidate for one of those phones with a wireless charging pad.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 28 Jan 2013 8:12 am

here's an interesting read about smartphone and battery!

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11820407 ... oblem.html

RonnieT

Post by RonnieT » Mon, 04 Mar 2013 2:47 pm

Nowadays with the huge screens and power hungry CPU, it is hard to find a smart phone that will last longer than a day with regular use.

I think that is the next challenge for Smartphone manufacturers to make phones that either use less power, or can store more battery capcity.

Until then I recommend to find the lightest, slimmest mobile charger to carry around with you. It's not such a big issue for us gals who can throw it in our purse, but my husband is always complaining about having to lug one around.