Singapore Expats

Prepaid phone lines in U.S

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
zipton

Prepaid phone lines in U.S

Post by zipton » Thu, 17 Jan 2013 12:22 am

I am going to U.S for a month, i got a singtel phone line here but because of the duration of my stay , its kinda expensive to use singtel's dataroam packages there.

Last time i went to U.S and tried to buy a prepaid simcard with data plan in AT&T shop they told me that i cant buy a prepaid with data because of my phone was iphone5.

I just need to use data and local calls any suggestions?

thanks

nakatago

Re: Question about prepaid phone lines in U.S

Post by nakatago » Thu, 17 Jan 2013 12:29 am

zipton wrote:I am going to U.S for a month, i got a singtel phone line here but because of the duration of my stay , its kinda expensive to use singtel's dataroam packages there.

Last time i went to U.S and tried to buy a prepaid simcard with data plan in AT&T shop they told me that i cant buy a prepaid with data because of my phone was iphone5.

thanks
Go with T-mobile. I'm not sure about Sprint but T-mobile I'm sure sells prepaid sim cards, without phones.

EDIT: I just checked their website. T-mobile has a nano sim but I don't know if they have it for prepaid as well. Better bring a different phone with you.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 17 Jan 2013 3:40 pm

zipton wrote:

thanks
I use AT&T Pre-paid data. T-Mobile will only give you 2G/Edge speeds in the US right now (they're fixing that).

The trick to make AT&T work is you need to change your APN. Go to this website from the phone's mobile safari while on Wifi:
http://www.unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/

And walk through the 'wizard' and pick AT&T. It'll send you a configuration profile. Reboot the phone and data will work. AT&T just tells you that it doesn't work because they don't want to send you to a third party website and have to give you support doing this.

Also, they might not sell nano-sim sized pre-paid cards. You might need to cut it yourself.

joleei

Post by joleei » Thu, 14 Feb 2013 2:17 am

zipton wrote:I am going to U.S for a month, i got a singtel phone line here but because of the duration of my stay , its kinda expensive to use singtel's dataroam packages there.

thanks
Rather than using overseas network, i still feel more comfortable with our local ones. Was complaining about how expensive it is to pay for the roaming charges and how i dislike using overseas prepaid previously.

Then a friend of mine recommended Pheonix so i gave it a try. It's pretty simple and i saved SOOOOO MUCH as compared to the standard sg telecom charges. Not too sure what is the rate for U.S but you can check it online yourself if you are interested. All i can say is that you will defo save alot by using Pheonix. Satisfied user here! :D

TRY IT :wink:

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Thu, 14 Feb 2013 6:07 am

You don't need to unlock your Singapore phone. It isn't locked. T-mobile offers micro sims. You can order one on eBay, even, but be careful whom you buy from. You can top-up online.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 14 Feb 2013 7:35 am

You need to differentiate between prepaid (the GO phone stuff AT&T sells) and a month to month normal contract.

You cannot use iPhone on a Go Plan... or a Samsung GS II... or any smartphone for that matter. http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/device ... hones.html

But you can get a standard plan with no contract and pay for it month to month... this is what I did last time I was in Houston... and it is what I am doing right now. http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans-new.html

The only pisser is exactly the same price as if you had a new subsidized phone under two year contract. Such is life.

PS: Besides the fact that T-Mobile 3G operates on a different frequency from the rest of the world, their coverage sucks, even worse than AT&T. You will not be happy with them. Interestingly enough, if you buy a T-Mobile smartphone it offers 3G and 4G at both their frequencies and the world standard. Of course, the frickin' thing is locked.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 14 Feb 2013 1:49 pm

Strong Eagle wrote: You cannot use iPhone on a Go Plan... or a Samsung GS II... or any smartphone for that matter. http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/device ... hones.html
You can, it's just that it's not supported by AT&T and you need a very slight bit of technical know-how because the AT&T prepaid network uses a different APN setting than their normal network.

The link I posted above has an iOS-optimized website which will create a configuration profile that you can download to your iPhone to automatically update the settings. Click the link, reboot the phone. When you finish and go back to your normal sim, remove the configuration profile, reboot again.

If you have an Android, I'm sure an equivalent site exists. If it doesn't, all of the settings you'll need for the different networks are still available on that site.

Note the site looks completely different when you open it in a normal web browser, or Safari on iOS. It's more like a native app with a simple wizard when opened in Safari.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 14 Feb 2013 11:54 pm

^^^^^^

Interesting. I learned something today about phones. However, when one looks at the pricing for prepaid plans, the costs appear to be about the same.

Cheers.

borch

Post by borch » Fri, 15 Feb 2013 10:16 pm

I went to the US for 4 months, and I got AT&T, the only problem that I had is that I had to pay even when receiving texts!!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 16 Feb 2013 1:08 pm

borch wrote:I went to the US for 4 months, and I got AT&T, the only problem that I had is that I had to pay even when receiving texts!!
That's standard in the US. On the flip side, caller ID, call waiting, voice mail, three way calling, "auto roam", and other things like that are all a part of your standard plan. No extra cost.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 16 Feb 2013 9:51 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
borch wrote:I went to the US for 4 months, and I got AT&T, the only problem that I had is that I had to pay even when receiving texts!!
That's standard in the US. On the flip side, caller ID, call waiting, voice mail, three way calling, "auto roam", and other things like that are all a part of your standard plan. No extra cost.
True. I do like the fact you can call anywhere in the US at the same price as a local call. Having said that, the US carriers get away with murder when it comes to pricing. Then again, so do the Singapore carriers.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 16 Feb 2013 10:55 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
True. I do like the fact you can call anywhere in the US at the same price as a local call. Having said that, the US carriers get away with murder when it comes to pricing. Then again, so do the Singapore carriers.
US Carriers rape customers on the cost of SMS, especially overseas. But IME the higher end Singapore plans that are cost comparable to the US plans are much worse values than those US plans. The US carriers just lack lower priced options. It's like going out to eat in the US. You get a ton of food for your money, but its an unhealthy overabundance for most people.