Singapore Expats Forum

Furniture

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
AE Logistics - Singapore Movers

akay

Furniture

Postby akay » Mon, 14 Jan 2013 5:29 am

Hi - I've found an apartment I like I like but it's unfurnished. As I do not envisage staying in Singapore forever (at the moment), I'm reluctant to invest a lot in furniture. If I do buy, what are the lead times like as the UK is horrific at times. Any advise welcomed.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Mon, 14 Jan 2013 5:41 am

IKEA is your friend!

The only thing that might have a lead-time is a sofa, but even then they have some lines they keep in stock.

p.s. Also check out Courts.

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Girl_Next_Door » Mon, 14 Jan 2013 11:22 am

CB2 and Cartel & Barrel are supposed to be opened last year. I have been surfing around but can't seems to find a date on when they are opening. Their signboard only states "Opening Soon".

Anyone have any idea?

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Mon, 14 Jan 2013 1:00 pm

JR8 wrote:IKEA is your friend!

The only thing that might have a lead-time is a sofa, but even then they have some lines they keep in stock.

p.s. Also check out Courts.

IKEA is indeed cheap--by the time your lease is over, your chipboard furniture is breaking down already. Sometimes, though, you get good, durable buys.

We went with IKEA when we moved into a place and weighed adding rent for furnishings vs buying everything, for the duration of the lease.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Mon, 14 Jan 2013 6:22 pm

Girl_Next_Door wrote:CB2 and Cartel & Barrel are supposed to be opened last year. I have been surfing around but can't seems to find a date on when they are opening. Their signboard only states "Opening Soon".

Anyone have any idea?

Crate and Barrel perhaps? :)

Casca01

Postby Casca01 » Mon, 14 Jan 2013 7:19 pm

You might also just want to speak to the landlord, perhaps he / she is willing to bring in some furniture for you (at a raised rental cost typically). Or did they refuse this already? Otherwise would agree on Ikea for the quickest route.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Postby Mi Amigo » Mon, 14 Jan 2013 8:01 pm

Some other suggestions here:

ftopic91275.html
Be careful what you wish for

beppi
Manager
Manager

Postby beppi » Mon, 14 Jan 2013 9:03 pm

Salvation Army Thrift Store!

akay

Postby akay » Mon, 14 Jan 2013 11:02 pm

Thanks everyone.

... and thank god for Ikea!

taxico
Director
Director

Re: Furniture

Postby taxico » Wed, 16 Jan 2013 12:19 am

akay wrote:...Any advise welcomed.

if my life was anything you want to mirror:

you need 1 deck chair, 1 fridge (second most expensive item if it doesn't come with) big enough to contain a good quantity of frozen dinners and beers, 1 kettle, a good can opener, lots of disposable plates, forks, spoons and big and heftys, and 1 quality mattress (this should be your most expensive item).

you can take your time looking for a bed frame and a mirror. nice ones come around from time to time.

you might want to invest in a lot of 3M command hooks and clothes hanger.

for work (if you want to do that) you need a small table. use it with your deck chair, which is also used for kicking back when using your electronics.

electronics: microwave (it should come with the place), tv, tv subscription, dvd player, other leisure devices (amp/receiver, speakers, xbox, ps3, etc), and an alarm clock with giant snooze button.

i assume the landlord has at least provided a washer and dryer? that's 1k (1099 was what i paid last week for a standalone indesit washer and dryer for my tenant) or cheaper if you go for a two-in-one (doesn't dry as well).

i lived like that for quite some time before i got domesticated by my wife... not a lot of furniture at all, although the deck chair eventually morphed into a recliner + ottoman coz i like listening to music in that position.

my guests also found it nice to have a deck chair to sit on when they came over... quite infrequently.