Singapore Expats

Should I move to Singapore?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 21 Feb 2013 3:23 pm

Sorry disenchanted but more I read you more I think this is you who have some problems with the system and not that the system is particularly mean or lethal. You can read what your main opponents in this thread saying in different topics and they, including myself, are far from blindly praising Singapore. At the end of the day it may come to this simple thing for you to adjust a bit your expectations to match what majority consider a common sense.

Edited a typo.
Last edited by x9200 on Thu, 21 Feb 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 21 Feb 2013 3:32 pm

disenchanted wrote: I don't want to GET anything from ANYBODY. I only want to live my own life and work for my own bread my own way and for people like me (like them or hate them), there are countries more conducive than Singapore. And that's the entire point I was trying to make the past several posts.
Selfish and childish. You would not have gotten this far if you hadn't had the protection of your parents and country of residence. You could, instead, be a statistic of a Molotov cocktail, a knifing, gang war or outright hostile aggression by another country. But the country you are currently serving your military service as provided you the necessary protection to get that far. One of the codicils of that arrangement was the necessity of paying your dues back to that society in the form of NS. Quit being such a crybaby and grow up.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

disenchanted

Post by disenchanted » Thu, 21 Feb 2013 4:30 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
disenchanted wrote: I don't want to GET anything from ANYBODY. I only want to live my own life and work for my own bread my own way and for people like me (like them or hate them), there are countries more conducive than Singapore. And that's the entire point I was trying to make the past several posts.
Selfish and childish. You would not have gotten this far if you hadn't had the protection of your parents and country of residence. You could, instead, be a statistic of a Molotov cocktail, a knifing, gang war or outright hostile aggression by another country. But the country you are currently serving your military service as provided you the necessary protection to get that far. One of the codicils of that arrangement was the necessity of paying your dues back to that society in the form of NS. Quit being such a crybaby and grow up.
And I will complete that 'payment' for the glory of that country and the welfare of its people, as agreed the day I took PR. Just in case you didn't notice, I never said I was going AWOL.

What I did say though, was that I didn't mind the obligation of NS at first. Only after realizing I'm WAY too imperfect for the country involved as a whole I regretted my decision. You can say I'm a 'warning story' for those yet to come here, since you can't assume there won't be more 'crybabies' coming here in future (I don't think you'd want that, right?). And I will finish that obligation whether I like it or not.

And then, I will take the risk of being barbarically killed elsewhere by hordes of bloodthirsty savages and I will 'grow up' in the process. Thanks for your concern though.

And I appreciate that you think I've 'gotten far.' I don't think so really. But I agree that I owe my parents a lot. Without them I would be in utter poverty, even in a golden, secure and safe island like Singapore, especially with current housing costs. Nothing's for free in life, not even for NSFs.

But if that makes you satisfied, feel free to claim victory in this discussion. You deserve it.
Last edited by disenchanted on Thu, 21 Feb 2013 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

disenchanted

Post by disenchanted » Thu, 21 Feb 2013 4:32 pm

x9200 wrote:Sorry disenchanted but more I read you more I think this is you who have some problems with the system and not that the system is particularly mean or lethal. You can read what your main opponents in this thread saying in different topics and they, including myself, are far from blindly praising Singapore. At the end of the day it may come to this simple thing for you to adjust a bit your expectations to match what majority consider a common sense.

Edited a typo.
I'm not saying I want to change the system. Majority feels happy with it and so be it. I may dislike it, but ultimately I'm not caged here indefinitely, just a couple more months. But perhaps if I heard another fellow crybaby earlier in my life, I would save myself the whole thing altogether.