Singapore Expats Forum

harrassment

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3190
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Postby taxico » Thu, 10 Jan 2013 12:17 pm

daytripper65 wrote:Incidentally, it's not this single issue, it's a chronic problem. This is just the straw that's breaking our back.


this sounds like the typical condo hell to me. it's the reason why i dislike living in a big condo and why i find so many of the owners are petty and selfish people.

there really isn't anything you can do once they gang up and have you in their cross hairs - except move or give in like a limp puppet (same thing, i guess) OR form a gang of your own and fight back... UNFORTUNATELY... you're not a property owner and may thus not be able to do so...

i wish you luck.

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Re: harrassment

Postby Brah » Thu, 10 Jan 2013 1:35 pm

You might be able to game that system with those replacement cards the guys who do shoe repairs sell.

nakatago wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:I hate to say it but there are two ranks of residency in some condos....owners and tenants - this is something I've been fighting in our own MC (our MC wants to penalize tenants $100 for losing access cards but won't penalize owners the same amount).


Our condo has 200 SGD fees for the cards! And the access cards have expiry dates tied to pass expiry dates (lease periods are disregarded) for which they will charge 50 bucks for renewal. And nothing is stopping them from adding arbitrary expiries and fees to earn a quick buck. Hell; when we started, the agent emphasized that when condo security charges us with anything, we should tell her first so that the owner can sort it out with condo management.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Re: harrassment

Postby nakatago » Thu, 10 Jan 2013 2:18 pm

Brah wrote:You might be able to game that system with those replacement cards the guys who do shoe repairs sell.

nakatago wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:I hate to say it but there are two ranks of residency in some condos....owners and tenants - this is something I've been fighting in our own MC (our MC wants to penalize tenants $100 for losing access cards but won't penalize owners the same amount).


Our condo has 200 SGD fees for the cards! And the access cards have expiry dates tied to pass expiry dates (lease periods are disregarded) for which they will charge 50 bucks for renewal. And nothing is stopping them from adding arbitrary expiries and fees to earn a quick buck. Hell; when we started, the agent emphasized that when condo security charges us with anything, we should tell her first so that the owner can sort it out with condo management.


Access smartcards. I looked it up and the effort to game it is not worth it.

Renting in some condos here is not as "privileged" as they make it to be as it certainly feels like living in a dormitory rather than in an apartment complex, especially with guards that play favorites and power trip.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Thu, 10 Jan 2013 4:33 pm

18 out of 20 condos has the policy-asiaone, jan 19,2011 -no maids allowed in pool

According to Mr Francis Zhan, the chief executive of the Association of Management Corporations in Singapore's (AMCIS) the rule has been around for 20 yrs and the rationale is "that maids are here to work and not to enjoy themselves."

"If we allow all the maids to swim in the pools at the various condos, it will be swamped and over-utilised."



and the (I cant believe there's such a rule) no maids in private lifts as reported in today paper in 2004.

i suppose they think the fdws are going to have a pool party everyday so it would be swamped and over utilised ..first world caste system

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2815
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 10 Jan 2013 11:13 pm

Maids too are people who are on legitimate papers working legally in this country. I believe nobody including them should be subjected to such discriminatory behaviour.

It also appears they weren't using the pool but merely sitting near it, if that constitutes a crime in the eyes of several condo owners I feel they are being extremely narrow minded in their outlook.

User avatar
Sergei82
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009

Postby Sergei82 » Thu, 10 Jan 2013 11:17 pm

What will happen if maids and you will simply ignore the condo administration?

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Re: harrassment

Postby offshoreoildude » Fri, 11 Jan 2013 12:51 am

nakatago wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:I hate to say it but there are two ranks of residency in some condos....owners and tenants - this is something I've been fighting in our own MC (our MC wants to penalize tenants $100 for losing access cards but won't penalize owners the same amount).


Our condo has 200 SGD fees for the cards! And the access cards have expiry dates tied to pass expiry dates (lease periods are disregarded) for which they will charge 50 bucks for renewal. And nothing is stopping them from adding arbitrary expiries and fees to earn a quick buck. Hell; when we started, the agent emphasized that when condo security charges us with anything, we should tell her first so that the owner can sort it out with condo management.


Your condo must have a problem with their sinking fund. If your owner acts she can help stop this by formally complaining to the MC. I'd also check if this charge is in the bylaws of the MCST - if not - then it is an illegal charge.
Now I'm called PNGMK

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Re: harrassment

Postby offshoreoildude » Fri, 11 Jan 2013 12:54 am

nakatago wrote:
Brah wrote:You might be able to game that system with those replacement cards the guys who do shoe repairs sell.

nakatago wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:I hate to say it but there are two ranks of residency in some condos....owners and tenants - this is something I've been fighting in our own MC (our MC wants to penalize tenants $100 for losing access cards but won't penalize owners the same amount).


Our condo has 200 SGD fees for the cards! And the access cards have expiry dates tied to pass expiry dates (lease periods are disregarded) for which they will charge 50 bucks for renewal. And nothing is stopping them from adding arbitrary expiries and fees to earn a quick buck. Hell; when we started, the agent emphasized that when condo security charges us with anything, we should tell her first so that the owner can sort it out with condo management.


Access smartcards. I looked it up and the effort to game it is not worth it.

Renting in some condos here is not as "privileged" as they make it to be as it certainly feels like living in a dormitory rather than in an apartment complex, especially with guards that play favorites and power trip.


One of the reasons I bought where I did is there are NO security guards. I despise those mothers. They actually can't do anything to stop the serious shit (such as my ex wife bashing down my door) but have plenty of time to make trivial trouble for me and my guests. I recommend not to rent where there are guards.

You're right in that some condo's feel like dormitories with ridiculous rules - I always suggest people rent in smaller complexes - the less Sinkies the less chance of BS rules!

Incidentally the use of condo guards is entirely at the discretion of the owners and the MC. There is no regulation saying they are required - regardless of size. IF you live in a small complex and the guard is not doing much - suggest to your owner to suggest to the MC to cancel the guards and have the MA supply a property manager to inspect / deal with issues twice a week (cards / garden maintenance / pool guys /bbq permits etc) - it saves about $5000 a month for a 24 hour guard!
Now I'm called PNGMK

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Fri, 11 Jan 2013 1:02 am

morenangpinay wrote:18 out of 20 condos has the policy-asiaone, jan 19,2011 -no maids allowed in pool

According to Mr Francis Zhan, the chief executive of the Association of Management Corporations in Singapore's (AMCIS) the rule has been around for 20 yrs and the rationale is "that maids are here to work and not to enjoy themselves."

"If we allow all the maids to swim in the pools at the various condos, it will be swamped and over-utilised."



and the (I cant believe there's such a rule) no maids in private lifts as reported in today paper in 2004.

i suppose they think the fdws are going to have a pool party everyday so it would be swamped and over utilised ..first world caste system


OP needs to check the condo by-laws. If there is some sort of by-law disallowing her DW to sit by the pool then she has a problem. Check the wording carefully.
Now I'm called PNGMK

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Fri, 11 Jan 2013 1:05 am

Sergei82 wrote:What will happen if maids and you will simply ignore the condo administration?


In reality? Probably nothing but eyes stabbing her in the back and the guard creating trouble. There maybe a police report filed if things escalate. If the guard so much as touches the domestic worker or the OP I would be screaming blue murder and assault.

I've shouted down many a security guards... legally - they zero rights no more than any other private citizen. All they can do is make a report to the MA/MC who might try to do something - but WHAT? Levy an illegal fine? Request you move out?

ALL FINES BY MC'S ARE ILLEGAL IF NOT DEFINED / AUTHORIZED IN THE BY LAWS OF THE MC or the relevant act. NEVER PAY AN ILLEGAL FINE.
Now I'm called PNGMK

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 11 Jan 2013 1:24 am

Agree with OSOD.

But also say it's better to nip this in the bud than start a war. So, go to the source.

Go to management office, be genuine and open-minded, ask what policy is, check how it refers to written/documented rules. You want to feel that they are going with your flow either way. I don't expect they'll verbally commit (as front of office is usually a 'secretary' rather than a lawyer, and they *don't* like to stick their neck out).

If you sense you are in the clear, and have MO support/clearance... if you have enough time threaten the neighbours ring-leader with legal action unless he ceases and desists from his 'irrational and unwarranted' harrassment.

Just my 2c.

(Some people just need a legal bitch-slap to jolt them back to reality).

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9301
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Fri, 11 Jan 2013 6:51 am

offshoreoildude wrote:ALL FINES BY MC'S ARE ILLEGAL IF NOT DEFINED / AUTHORIZED IN THE BY LAWS OF THE MC or the relevant act. NEVER PAY AN ILLEGAL FINE.

I would expect any fines by MC are illegal. Is there any general/specific law enabling MC to impose any fines? I strongly doubt so.

User avatar
Sergei82
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009

Postby Sergei82 » Fri, 11 Jan 2013 10:33 am

Still I see no reason why not to ignore the whole damn thing. For maids as well: it is MOM letting them in Singapore, not condo residents, so they cannot restrict maids in anything.

If you have problems with other residents/administration/guards, why not to go and make a police report? I do not understand, why so few people do it - it is taking so little time! Probably, this report will be useless, and condo administration will confront you with a bunch of another useless reports which you can happily ignore as well. A lot of fun and no real troubles.

I guess, the only thing you do not want to do is pissing off your landlord.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Fri, 11 Jan 2013 10:44 am

Sergei82 wrote:If you have problems with other residents/administration/guards, why not to go and make a police report? I do not understand, why so few people do it - it is taking so little time! Probably, this report will be useless, and condo administration will confront you with a bunch of another useless reports which you can happily ignore as well. A lot of fun and no real troubles.

I guess, the only thing you do not want to do is pissing off your landlord.


Depending on condo organization, you may not want to piss off the guards/management as well as they have leverage.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 11 Jan 2013 11:05 am

Sergei82 wrote:Still I see no reason why not to ignore the whole damn thing. For maids as well: it is MOM letting them in Singapore, not condo residents, so they cannot restrict maids in anything.

If you have problems with other residents/administration/guards, why not to go and make a police report? I do not understand, why so few people do it - it is taking so little time! Probably, this report will be useless, and condo administration will confront you with a bunch of another useless reports which you can happily ignore as well. A lot of fun and no real troubles.

I guess, the only thing you do not want to do is pissing off your landlord.


Way way ... way, better to deal with the embers, rather than work up the fire-storm instead.

Even if playing with the firestorm seems like it might be kinda fun :)

1) Management office.


Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests