Singapore Expats Forum

SG's obsession with metrics: Better Fathering Index?!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

SG's obsession with metrics: Better Fathering Index?!

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 08 Jan 2013 10:55 am

http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/ED ... g-children

SINGAPORE - Singapore will soon have a "Better Fathering Index" aimed at benchmarking the father's involvement in bringing up children.

The Index, believed to be a world first, is expected to be ready by the end of the year after a comprehensive survey of dads in Singapore.

Just nuts. One more ridiculous numeric metric to rate people in this country. Seems more like a Noose / Onion news story than a real one.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Tue, 08 Jan 2013 11:09 am

Watched that story last night...... wasted 3min of my life.

I agree, utterly pointless in this country at this time. The effort should be in making the so called work/life balance possible before trying to say 'You're a bad father because your XX number is low' simply because the family has no choice that he works 15hrs a day.

Of course, having a 'Better Mothering Index' is a nono so why not stamp all over the father instead.

If i think about it any longer I may just get to angry to finish my scotch.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Postby the lynx » Tue, 08 Jan 2013 11:38 am

Another Singapore's "world's first"...

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Postby nutnut » Tue, 08 Jan 2013 12:33 pm

World's First ridiculous statistics is another one we should add to the list of many stupid statistics!

AIYOH!
nutnut

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Postby Mi Amigo » Tue, 08 Jan 2013 12:49 pm

Is there a World Metrics Index? I'm sure Singapore would take the number 1 spot :twisted:
Be careful what you wish for

x9200

Postby x9200 » Tue, 08 Jan 2013 5:58 pm

Well, I don't know. In the absence of common sense and good habits maybe this is the way to have the fathers better engaged? I.e. falling below 0.5438 index would be like renting the property $100 cheaper than your neighbor = loosing face?
Does it go along this Dads for life movement?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: SG's obsession with metrics: Better Fathering Index?!

Postby JR8 » Tue, 08 Jan 2013 6:38 pm

The Index, believed to be a world first

Is SG a global social pioneer, or is it that they need this metric more than anyone else?

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Tue, 08 Jan 2013 6:54 pm

Better Fathering Index:

#facepalm

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Postby offshoreoildude » Tue, 08 Jan 2013 8:13 pm

Considering it's Singapore law and courts that limit my time with my son....
Now I'm called PNGMK

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Wed, 09 Jan 2013 2:16 pm

JR8 wrote:
The Index, believed to be a world first

Is SG a global social pioneer, or is it that they need this metric more than anyone else?

Hmm, hardly......don't think we've fully adopted the 'Happiness Index' that I think a few counties in Europe are trying to highlight more than raw GDP.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Postby Steve1960 » Wed, 09 Jan 2013 3:20 pm

I figured out how to be a better father. Had my second child at 50 years old. I was way more prepared and much more involved than when I had my first daughter at 29!

I think the metric is crazy but underlying this is that many fathers have other distractions in their 20's which do not exist later in life. I still regret not giving my first daughter as much of me as she deserved :-(

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Postby Mi Amigo » Wed, 09 Jan 2013 4:39 pm

I think many fathers probably have similar regrets - it's only when your children get older that you start to think about all those missed (never to be repeated) opportunities to share more time and experiences while they were growing up. I know I do, but you can't turn the clock back and I think it's best to focus on the positive memories and stay as engaged as possible when they get into their 20s and beyond.

As to having another child in your 50s, well I sincerely admire you for that - I really don't think I'd have the energy to do it myself (or the biological capability, but that's another subject ;-) ).
Be careful what you wish for

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 09 Jan 2013 6:05 pm

Well, I know how it is. Although, having said that, I did completely change my occupation/profession in order to spend more time with my young children. Sure wish I were young enough now, to go back to my former profession now that the kids are all grown up.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Mon, 14 Jan 2013 7:44 pm

Parenting is not one of those events where you can sign up for 3 months probationary period and if it is not for you, you can quit. Once you pop out the baby, you are stuck for life :P .

Maternal instinct does not come easy for me. It was difficult, from the very beginning. I had severe morning sickness. It lasted for the entire first pregnancy. I would throw up while brushing teeth, at the dentist, the smell and sight of most foods. Both births were emergency c-section. If not for modern medical advancement, I would not have survived. And breast feeding was a struggle. First born refused to latch on and I was not ready for it either. When the second one came around, she tried her luck with me. Having someone suck on my nipple with full force was terrifying. I let out a scream while at the hospital and the nurses came running. The constant milk pumping, lack of sleep, attending to their every needs. It drained me. Physically and emotionally. They had outgrown those needs and it is easier now, in some ways. For that in turn is replaced with other new and different needs. Each stage comes with its own challenges.

I value my independence, who I am and what I stand for. I am scared to give that up when I have to share and give up so much of myself in order to care for those so close to me. It is only within the last year that I am more comfortable with the role of being a mother. I do not know if I will ever be fully at ease with motherhood and wifehood. I take one day at a time. Everyday I try my best. For I belief life is precious. I believe humanity is precious.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 14 Jan 2013 8:25 pm

You and my wife, it sounds, were cut from the same bolt of cloth. She turned out to be a doting mother, to the point of distraction and spoiling them rotten. I HAD to be the disciplinarian in the family (two C-section - 1st one emergency). She was a working professional singer at the time of both of their births (sang till 2 am the night before having the 1st one (against the doc's orders mind you) - I was in Medan and not able to get back till around 3 hours after the op.