Singapore Expats Forum

Chinese New Year 2013

Events and gatherings for the 30's Club
SGslinger
Chatter
Chatter

Chinese New Year 2013

Postby SGslinger » Mon, 07 Jan 2013 5:32 pm

Plans for the four-day Chinese New Year break? Anything you'd like to do in particular? Post them here so we can band together and do stuff when the CNY holiday comes around.

Leave some basic details as well, like gender and age, so we have an idea (however tiny) of you.

I'll start:

M/34 here. I'd love to check out the decoration in Chinatown in the lead up to CNY, hit the night markets, maybe do a New Year's feast.

If there's some amount of drinking involved as well, the better it is.

Your turn.

trebleclef81

Postby trebleclef81 » Tue, 08 Jan 2013 5:27 pm

32/F/local Chinese, loves getting into a squeeze with the Chinatown crowd during Chinese New Year, henna Indian tattoos from one of those stalls an annual ritual.

In this new year, looking to meet as many new people as I can, trying to break out of the 'normal Singaporean life'. CNY is not a big thing for me, as the family is spread across continents, so keen to find something to do.

SGslinger
Chatter
Chatter

Postby SGslinger » Tue, 08 Jan 2013 8:50 pm

Wonderful, trebleclef81.

Perhaps you can suggest a thing or two "out of the 'normal Singaporean life'"?

trebleclef81

Postby trebleclef81 » Wed, 09 Jan 2013 1:35 pm

flash mob to ching-chong music at Chinatown

get a group, rent a yacht and get out of the island. possibly a logistic nightmare

bring some goodies and CNY cheer to lonely people in a home (or something) and then we go entertain ourselves with afternoon beers.

turns out it all sounds either infeasible or just hard work..

there is a Tuesday over the long holiday, not quite sure if Comedy Masala is open that evening. River Hongbao walkabout?

SGslinger
Chatter
Chatter

Postby SGslinger » Thu, 10 Jan 2013 7:33 am

River Hongbao sounds awesome, and afternoon beers is completely doable. I'll keep you posted as plans are made.

pharmMD

Postby pharmMD » Mon, 14 Jan 2013 11:09 pm

I am all for afternoon beers. And I've always wanted to try Comedy Masala. We should check that out if it is open. Do keep me posted too, SGslinger.

Darren 0

Postby Darren 0 » Fri, 18 Jan 2013 2:18 pm

We plan to have a traditional Chinese New Year’s Eve feast and then join the crowd at Chinatown, watch how the locals celebrate!