Singapore Expats Forum

Is Singapore dog-friendly?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

frankiesmom

Is Singapore dog-friendly?

Postby frankiesmom » Wed, 07 Apr 2004 1:23 pm

We're mulling a move to Singapore and wonder what the attitude is to dogs. I'm certain veterinary care is wonderful and I can buy any pet food I like but --- are there places to walk and run my dog (parks, beaches, whatever)? Are there a fair number of dog-owners who get out and about with their dog, rather than just leaving them to run around their yards? Is finding dog-friendly accomodation (we have cats too) a problem?

I ask bec. the country (in Asia) that we live now is exceedingly dog-UNfriendly. She's not allowed to walk in any parks, even on a leash, and I get lots of unfriendly stares whenever I walk her on the street. She's even been spit at and had things thrown at her. (She's big, but quiet and well-behaved and even rather shy.) It's sad not to be able to let her exercise as she needs.

Just don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire. Thanks for any comments.

dormer

Postby dormer » Wed, 07 Apr 2004 2:03 pm

Singapore's generally dog-friendly. Singaporeans love dogs, They are allowed to be brought to parks, gardens, beaches, except that some places may not be allowed. The thing is that you must throw away your dog's poo in a bag else you can be fined. Other that that, it's ok.

It is a common sight for dogs strolling in many places. By the way, which country were you refering to..in ur thread? :P

frankiesmom

Postby frankiesmom » Wed, 07 Apr 2004 2:41 pm

Thanks so much for your reply, Singapore sounds like doggy heaven if we can actually take her to a park or a beach. No prob with the poop-scooping, it's a habit we've carried over from the US, even if pple do look at us like we're certifiably insane when we do it here. :lol:

We're in Vietnam now.

Amanda

Postby Amanda » Thu, 08 Apr 2004 9:18 am

frankiemom
Yes! Singapore is indeed a dog heaven, come over here and you'll realise that there are many show shows and exhibitions, dog cafes (catered to serve the doggies), dog outings (usually or sometimes organised by dog clubs or specific-dog breed clubs), many pet shops, parks that welcome dogs. So much more .. 8)

aPp|e83^

Postby aPp|e83^ » Tue, 13 Apr 2004 7:01 pm

dogs are animals .. never heard of which and which countries dogs are more friendly. haha
but my dog is the MOST FRIENDLIEST OF ALL DOGS!! Muahhaha

cattwl

Postby cattwl » Sun, 02 May 2004 12:49 am

Hi
u might want to check out www.doggiesite.com

:D

peter

Postby peter » Wed, 12 May 2004 9:06 pm

you can also check out www.thepetportal.org the have doggie outings every month for dogs to ineract.

Postby guest » Sat, 15 May 2004 7:09 pm

aPp|e83^ wrote:dogs are animals .. never heard of which and which countries dogs are more friendly. haha

Of course there're many dog-friendly countries... In France, you can bring your dog to restaurants or cafe; in Anchorage, once you and your dog get off the plane, can get a vehicle easily taking you both to a hotel (which welcome your dog as well)... That's why you said 'dogs are animal' while I say they're our f_r_i_e_n_d.