Singapore Expats

Dual citizenship Australian and Irish

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
Pictureframe

Dual citizenship Australian and Irish

Post by Pictureframe » Wed, 02 Jan 2013 10:02 pm

Hi all, I'm just over 5 months pregnant and I'm Australian, my husband is Irish. I'll be having the baby here in Singapore but want to know if its possible to get both Australian and Irish passports once the baby is born? We will eventually go back to live in Australia but would be nice for the child to have both if possible.
Thanks!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 02 Jan 2013 10:12 pm

I would suggest you check with the respective embassy/consulates.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Re: Dual citizenship Australian and Irish

Post by offshoreoildude » Thu, 03 Jan 2013 11:16 am

Pictureframe wrote:Hi all, I'm just over 5 months pregnant and I'm Australian, my husband is Irish. I'll be having the baby here in Singapore but want to know if its possible to get both Australian and Irish passports once the baby is born? We will eventually go back to live in Australia but would be nice for the child to have both if possible.
Thanks!
1. For Aussie pp all you need if for you the mother to register the birth at the Australian High Comm and follow their procedures (online on here; http://www.australia.org.sg/).

2. For Ireland I imagine they have a similar procedure.
Now I'm called PNGMK

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Thu, 03 Jan 2013 12:13 pm

Definitely check with the respective Embassy but it should be OK. I would expect Australia and Ireland to respect nationality by birth right.

My daughter was born in Philippinesa and in addition to her Philippines passport has a UK passport by following the procedure supplied by the UK Embassy in Manila. It was very straightforward and that is not usual for Philippines :wink:

Pictureframe

Post by Pictureframe » Thu, 03 Jan 2013 9:27 pm

Thanks guys will check that out

manutdfan
Regular
Regular

Re: Dual citizenship Australian and Irish

Post by manutdfan » Fri, 04 Jan 2013 3:47 pm

Pictureframe wrote:Hi all, I'm just over 5 months pregnant and I'm Australian, my husband is Irish. I'll be having the baby here in Singapore but want to know if its possible to get both Australian and Irish passports once the baby is born? We will eventually go back to live in Australia but would be nice for the child to have both if possible.
Thanks!
Assuming your husband was born in Ireland, just ask the Irish embassy what you need to as the child is entitled to Irish citizenship.