Singapore Expats

Cave diving

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Cave diving

Post by JR8 » Wed, 02 Jan 2013 5:27 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1iaa04rCf0
'A deceptively easy way to die - Cave Diving'

Not my cup of tea I must say, but I have pals who are into it. They go down with 100kgs of kit... well it's their thing I think lol. I dive to be free.

For me, it's about meditation, and staring in wonder at the fish, and the deep which is death.

Here's a question. Is diving like Russian roulette? No... take it to the next level.... I'm serious...

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 02 Jan 2013 6:51 am

A friend who liked cave diving got stuck in a small tunnel under ground. They found him about 3 minutes after he'd run out of air. That turned me off cave diving for ever.
Now I'm called PNGMK

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 02 Jan 2013 7:24 am

Yes yes, well we kinda know that bit.

But do you have any real diving tales....

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 02 Jan 2013 12:24 pm

I've done a number of 100 yard penetrations in 30" sewage outfall lines to put me right off of cave diving. Of course, being connected with an umbilical line & free flow of air does take some of the trepidation out of it, but have to back up 100 yards(meters) to get out is eerie to say the least. It's always a new dry suit once the job is finished though, so you use the oldest suit you can find. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 02 Jan 2013 6:13 pm

Good grief. You'd have to have some self-control to deal with that.

I've done some dives where the vis has been like 6 inches, but it's really not my cup of tea!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 02 Jan 2013 6:55 pm

I would be willing to venture that 40% of all the dives I've made (Including 6' ditch jetting in bayous and across rice paddies) have been made in absolute Zero vis. e.g., you cannot see your hand on your faceplate. So, when I've got 3 feet of vis I think I'm in a SCUBA destination! ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 02 Jan 2013 8:53 pm

Well. All I can say is I hope you were well-paid for that! :o

... I had a dive once (Shark Reef, Ras Mohammed, southern-tip of the Sinai peninsular, Egypt) where I got narc'ed and well, basicly started hallucinating because the vis was effectively infinite, like 50m+

Dive buddy and myself took over 80lbs of gear for their dive shop (they ordered it, we just carried it), and in return we were given 2 weeks free dives.

Staying up til 2am each night and caning it (drinking beer), and doing 3+ dives a day when it's 35-38c in the shade (plus you're out all day on a boat). Well I got a heck of a tan on that trip... but is not a combination I intend to repeat!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 02 Jan 2013 9:50 pm

I wish all dark narrow tunnels paid penetration pay like that does! It's equivalent to depth pay in the GOM. Usually the reverse is the case though! :devil:

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Thu, 03 Jan 2013 11:18 am

I could not do that sewer penetration.... just thinking about it gives me the chills.... I certainly could not do it with a scuba set up - with a hookah might help but my imagination would need drugs to shut it down.
Now I'm called PNGMK

Return to “Leisure Chat, Jokes, Rubbish”