Singapore Expats

Goodbye 2012... Hello 2013!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
taxico
Director
Director

Goodbye 2012... Hello 2013!

Post by taxico » Mon, 31 Dec 2012 3:08 pm

it's been a crazy year. i didn't accomplish as much as i'd like to, and i certainly feel my age these days... (i'm eating more vegetables... willingly!)

the governments all around the world went a little bit crazy this year. the people on this earth certainly have always been crazy and we found out more than we ever wanted to about that.

i'm sorry about that indian woman, and i hope i'll see humanity 2.0 before i die. i'm glad obama's a 2 term president and i hope he really pulls it off. he's got my vote and i'm rooting for him. i'm not sure what direction singapore's headed but by god the government's trying. maybe too trying.

anyway, i hope you've all had a good 2012 and here's to an even better 2013.

YOU KNOW IT, BABY!!!! IT'S GONNA BE A GREAT YEAR!

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 31 Dec 2012 3:14 pm

But due to what is happening now with this fiscal cliff stuff, my opinion about Obama dropped down... although I'm not US citizen and maybe it's not for me to judge. :)
I really really hope (desperately) that it won't be worse than EU crisis...

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Mon, 31 Dec 2012 5:34 pm

I too am looking more forward this year to end than others in recent memory, for both personal and professional reasons. And based on what I see on Facebook, forums, and other places, I get the sense that I'm not alone.

While Sergei is right the the FC is looming over to darken the start of the year, and while I don't really believe in artificial chronological milestones to demarcate the start and stop of things or to make resolutions, I have to hope that it's going to be a better year.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 31 Dec 2012 7:06 pm

Being in the banking domain, for me 2013 looks very scary. The next 2 years is all about survival, not exciting at all. I really hope things turn around or that I am able to find another industry that will pay as good :(

http://news.efinancialcareers.com/13060 ... s-in-2013/

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 31 Dec 2012 7:24 pm

Sergei82 wrote: I really really hope (desperately) that it won't be worse than EU crisis...
Doubtful to me, since the 'Fiscal Cliff' is mostly a self-imposed/made up problem imposed on the US by themselves (ourselves). The Congress can solve it at any time, once they stop political posturing.

The EU on the other hand, seems to have a true crisis that isn't quite as simple as saying "Ok, we're done with the soundbites and will agree on a solution this afternoon".

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Mon, 31 Dec 2012 9:40 pm

Same here, but am tired of this scenario - we said the same thing in 2008, 2010, and for some there were other such cycles.

The 'pay as good' thing as well is on the way to being a thing of the past.
Wd40 wrote:Being in the banking domain, for me 2013 looks very scary. The next 2 years is all about survival, not exciting at all. I really hope things turn around or that I am able to find another industry that will pay as good :(

http://news.efinancialcareers.com/13060 ... s-in-2013/

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 31 Dec 2012 10:49 pm

Been an interesting year for me.

Started off with diving trips back to back at Lembeh Straits (Borneo) and Gili Air (adj. to Lombok)*, and now I'm sat in a freakin wheelchair because of some 'bug' I apparently picked up somewhere, I have no idea...

Well, I'm not going to miss this year, that's for sure.

* you know, like 'This is it', I've arrived, I've grafted my nuts off but here it is, this is perfect.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 31 Dec 2012 10:58 pm

The president of the US. He's just a totem. Why don't they mount a penis on a shield and hang it on the wall of the Oval Office instead?

I'm serious.

I think Reagan was perhaps the last US president who actually did anything, who had global stature, credibility. This current one is a sick joke (Jesus, he doesn't even have a birth certificate, and I'll bet you a $ to the dime that everyone on this forum has (or has access to one)). So how ah?

'Tis most queer.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 01 Jan 2013 1:05 am

Actually, to be honest, I don't. I have exactly the same thing that he has. And I was born in Johns Hopkins Medical University in Baltimore. But Baltimore City does not issue birth certificates, per se, but only a "Notification of Birth Registration" that says, and I quote...

BALTIMORE CITY HEALTH DEPARTMENT

NOTIFICATION OF BIRTH REGISTRATION

This certifies that there is on file in the Bureau of Vital Records of the Baltimore City Health Department a record of the birth of

Name of child: sundaymorningstaple
Date of Birth: September 1, 1947 Sex: Male
File number: G8769xxx

signed'
Commissioner of Health
and
Registrar of Vital Statistics

and on the reverse.......

Note to Parents:

This document is your Notification of Birth Registration from the Baltimore Cith Health Deparment. It is an official record that your child's birth certificate has been filed. You will need to use it many ties. Keep it in a safe place with other valuable records. Be sure you have a record for each child. If you have any questions about your child's birth certificate, please get in touch with the Bureau of Vital Records of the Baltimore City Health Department.

Preserve this record

You Will Need It

To enter your child in school
To prove age for insurance records
To obtain a work permit for your child
To prove age and birthplace for many other purposes.

So there you are. What Obamy has in that regard was okay all along. I never believed the birthers as they and the Tea Party are full of shite. I am not a follower of Obamy as you all know, but it has nothing to do with his birth, it's been legal all along. I have exactly the same thing.

In fact, my does not even show my parents names or social security numbers. Only my name and registration file number.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 01 Jan 2013 2:16 am

JR8 wrote:...Why don't they mount a penis on a shield and hang it on the wall of the Oval Office instead?

I'm serious...
tis against FCC regulations.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 01 Jan 2013 2:20 am

So.... where was he born then?

:???:

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 01 Jan 2013 2:21 am

taxico wrote:
JR8 wrote:...Why don't they mount a penis on a shield and hang it on the wall of the Oval Office instead?

I'm serious...
tis against FCC regulations.

Genuine lol... thanks for that! :-D

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 01 Jan 2013 10:57 am

Hawaii.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Tue, 01 Jan 2013 12:31 pm

Happy year of the snake! :D im choosing to be optimistic although there is something looming around in the back of my head.il be prepared atleast :-)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 01 Jan 2013 6:21 pm

Funny that you see most clearly what isn't there.

Return to “General Discussions”