Singapore Expats

My mom,66 visiting. What can she do while I'm on biz travel?

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
Tommy88

My mom,66 visiting. What can she do while I'm on biz travel?

Post by Tommy88 » Sun, 30 Dec 2012 10:51 pm

Hi everyone, appreciate your help, if you can.

My mom will be visiting me for a month but I have a lot of business travel coming up during those weeks so I was wondering if other people had come across the same problem and sucessfully solved it.

She is 66, divorced and generally fun.

Is there any place, anything she could do, in order not to get bored?

She's not much into drinking so I can't park her in a pub.

I'm sure if she could help for free for a good cause she would also be interested.

Thank you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 30 Dec 2012 11:05 pm

If you live in an HDB estate she could co Tai Chi every morning at the crack of dawn. Go shopping for your kids, or just spoil the kids rotten like grandma's are supposed to do.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 30 Dec 2012 11:32 pm

A month is quite a long time...

But for starters, the Lonely Planet guide-books do/used to have mini-sections that were tailored suggestions for what to do it you have 1 day, 3 days, 5 days, and so on. That's a start.

But SG is a small place. Do you think she might consider doing side-trips for a few days (on her own). Like KL or BKK?

If I were you I'd really aim to keep her busy and occupied, as the alternative tends to be - sole focus on you - , and that's really not cool.

p.s. If I might ask though, why is she staying for a month? What is her stated intention? Or is inviting yourself for a month a part of your culture (Indian ;)). No offense, just trying to better understand the circumstances...

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 05 Jan 2013 4:43 pm

reef walks. island hop (kusu, sister's, ubin, etc). newater plant visit. changi war memorial. museum visits (some are free once a month).

try sneaking into all the social clubs in singapore and use the facilities. if she's not asian, she can do it.

visit the universities for cheap food. ask her to harangue uni kids into letting her into the libraries (some are card access only).

visit some of the public libraries or malls to cool off. buy her a deck chair and tell her to work on her tan.

meiji-ya supermarket screens free japanese cartoons. tell her to do chores for you.

check out SSO and esplanade websites for free stuff.

p/s: take time off work and spend some quality time with mom. hug her every day. do it.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sat, 05 Jan 2013 6:30 pm

I mean no disrespect to your or your mother but she may actually appreciate being pointed in the direction of Club Giorgio at Lavender St.... especially is she has been on her own for a few years and is not too conservative.
Now I'm called PNGMK