Singapore Expats

'I pledge not to eat shark's fin.'

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Thu, 03 Jan 2013 12:10 am

yeah! Botching up the taste and texture is not a problem nowadays.
But there will always be people who will yell that fake shark fin is not cool, and will come up with all kinds of stupid excuses to keep finning.

But soybean shark fin is not letting me go… I'm still laughing now. :)))))

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Thu, 03 Jan 2013 12:18 am

the chinese would only want the real thing because it is exotic and expensive. face! dignity! BRAGGING RIGHTS!

no offense to chinese people. i'm just generalizing. etc etc etc.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 03 Jan 2013 1:22 am

Earthfriendly:
The way they harvest the sharks' fins was very shocking to me. So I avoid. You would think the fishermen would be smart to do it sustainably. It is self-destructive towards their own livelihood.

You’d think people wouldn’t steal food from ‘all you can eat’ restaurant brunches, but there you go! It’s like rhino horn/tiger willy, it is driven by greed and ignorance.

Taxico:
Wouldn't the finless shark get devoured too?

Eventually yes, after it drowns in agony.
I was brought up hunting/fishing and was taught to ‘finish off’ something you winged or clipped, as an act of humanity. I appreciate shark-fishermen are poor and probably uneducated but ... you reap what you sow.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 03 Jan 2013 8:18 am

If this is only for the luxury and prestige then probably ivory is a good analogy. There is no problem to replicate the material in terms of its aesthetic and mechanical properties yet still, despite all the legislation the killing happens regularly.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Thu, 03 Jan 2013 11:08 am

JR8 wrote:Earthfriendly:
The way they harvest the sharks' fins was very shocking to me. So I avoid. You would think the fishermen would be smart to do it sustainably. It is self-destructive towards their own livelihood.

You’d think people wouldn’t steal food from ‘all you can eat’ restaurant brunches, but there you go! It’s like rhino horn/tiger willy, it is driven by greed and ignorance.

Taxico:
Wouldn't the finless shark get devoured too?

Eventually yes, after it drowns in agony.
I was brought up hunting/fishing and was taught to ‘finish off’ something you winged or clipped, as an act of humanity. I appreciate shark-fishermen are poor and probably uneducated but ... you reap what you sow.

Yeap, the great paradox of life! Yesterday I was having a hard time removing the price sticker of an Ikea candle dish. Me to hubby "why do they make it so hard to remove the stickers, so customer-unfriendly?". Hubby "they don't want people switching the prices ". My daughter looked puzzled, no concept what people are capable of. Me "we are very lucky that daddy has a stable job and we can afford what we need. For some other people they are improvished and have to stretch their money and resort to creative ways to get what they want".

The finning thing, cutting off their fins leaving them defenseless and dying a slow death. It is hard to accept. Just like eating frog legs, you have to kill a whole bunch of frogs just to make a single dish. One time I saw they left a fish out, gasping for air in the fish market of SF chinatown. It is inhumane.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Thu, 03 Jan 2013 11:16 am

Usually when they call it frog legs, they serve the whole frog cut in pieces. So not a lot of abuse in here...

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 04 Jan 2013 9:07 am

http://shanghaiist.com/2013/01/03/photo ... ged_by.php

Photos of a Shark Fin factory in Hong Kong. They're gearing up for CNY, and have been laying the fins out on the roof.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Wed, 16 Jan 2013 9:12 pm

I don't know how to attach a photo, but took a picture of a shop on Circular Road that you might like to see about this

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sat, 13 Apr 2013 12:03 pm

Saw this shop on Smith Street in Chinatown.
Just realized I posted this in the wrong thread.