Singapore Expats

Re-apply PR for spouse 2nd time

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 28 Dec 2012 2:52 pm

Wd40 wrote:4. India although doesn't have the kind of multispeciallity hospitals to do multi organ transplant that is currently happening for the Indian rape victim at mt Elizabeth, for simple stuff like pregnancy indian doctors have abundant experience which Singapore doctors lack..
Interesting, very interesting .. I learn something everyday .. !!!!!!!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 28 Dec 2012 3:12 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Wd40 wrote:4. India although doesn't have the kind of multispeciallity hospitals to do multi organ transplant that is currently happening for the Indian rape victim at mt Elizabeth, for simple stuff like pregnancy indian doctors have abundant experience which Singapore doctors lack..
I assumed it was a subtle tongue in cheek jab at each country's birth rates. :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 28 Dec 2012 5:05 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
The only problem I see with that is that the birth rates have absolutely nothing to do with doctors as most in Indians are probably delivered by midwives because they cannot afford doctors.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 28 Dec 2012 5:10 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: The only problem I see with that is that the birth rates have absolutely nothing to do with doctors as most in Indians are probably delivered by midwives because they cannot afford doctors.
Oh boy ..

wd40, what's your take on that ?? :D

No, let's start a new thread for that .. shall we ??

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Fri, 28 Dec 2012 5:19 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The only problem I see with that is that the birth rates have absolutely nothing to do with doctors as most in Indians are probably delivered by midwives because they cannot afford doctors.
Meanwhile in Indonesia, we have witch-doctors :lol:
"Budget Expat"

dhijho

Re: Re-apply PR for spouse 2nd time

Post by dhijho » Fri, 28 Dec 2012 5:46 pm

therat wrote:
dhijho wrote:Hi all,
I applied PR for myself and my wife on Oct2009 and we got approval within 7 months (Apr 2010). I have collected my PR whereas my wife could not collect as she was in India for cesarian delivery. And i have provided her medical certificates to ICA and ask for extension, whereas she could not travel within the extended timeline.
We enquired ICA upon her return to singapore with the baby and they asked to re-apply for both my wife and daughter. We applied in Mar 2010 and it got rejected in Mar 2011 stating to apply after 6 months.
One year ago, you post the same topic
http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/sutra5 ... ht=#559541
I am an Indian working in IT in singapore for past 6 years. I have applied PR with my wife (immediately after our marraige) in Oct 2009. The PR got approved for both of us in May 2010, but unfortunately my wife could not collect her PR, as she was in India for delivery.
We enquired MOM after her return to singapore (Nov 2010) and they have told, the validity expired and have to apply for new one. We have re-applied PR for my wife and my daughter on Mar 2011 stating the reason why we did not collect it for the first time. Its still under process for past 9 months.
The date totally different
1st PR approval – April 2010 V May 2010.
Re-applied PR – 1st post stated Mar 2011 ; present stated stated Mar 2010
Re-applied PR rejected – 1st post wrote at Dec 2011 , said still under process while present post stated Mar 2011

The date don’t tally at all.
1. My earlier thread which was raised before an year, and belive both are same as i have not stated date
Got PR aproval by end of Apr'2010, and my collection by early May 2010.

2. that was typo error, my first appln got approved in Apr 2010, so could not re-apply before Apr 2010, right ?

Summary:

1st time applied on Oct 2009 - got approved on Apr 2010
2nd time re-apply for my wife on Mar 2011 - got rejected on Mar 2012
3rd time re-applied today.
----

Here is the evidence that, you are providing answers after detailed analysis and its based on the history.
Really happy, that your answers are more valued!
Go

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 28 Dec 2012 7:18 pm

ecureilx wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote: The only problem I see with that is that the birth rates have absolutely nothing to do with doctors as most in Indians are probably delivered by midwives because they cannot afford doctors.
Oh boy ..

There is big difference between how Indians look at India and how foreigners look at India. Foreigners look at the sum total of the whole country and like to pin point at its weakness. Whereas we Indians look mostly at circumstances that affect us directly. For example if I am from Bangalore, I can't relate to what SMS is saying. To me Bangalore is materialistically better than Singapore, there are stuff that I can afford there which I can't afford here. Now there may be really poor people in India that foreigners like to focus on but I am not affected by it nor is the op nor the burgeoning middle class in India.

Now you ask me why am I here if I could do better in Bangalore. The reason is the cost of living differential means that whatever I save here will have a magnified effect in terms of purchasing power parity in indian terms. The last 3 and half years I have already saved more than what I would have saved had I worked for even 6 years in India. So I can go back now and not even work for the next 2years and yet I am doing fine. That's how most Indians who come abroad think. There are some exceptions though ;)

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 28 Dec 2012 8:00 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
No I really mean it. You may be interested in reading more about popular medical tourism destinations. Here's one article I found:

http://internationalliving.com/2010/06/ ... tinations/

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 28 Dec 2012 11:39 pm

Wd40 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
Oh boy ..

There is big difference between how Indians look at India and how foreigners look at India. Foreigners look at the sum total of the whole country and like to pin point at its weakness. Whereas we Indians look mostly at circumstances that affect us directly. For example if I am from Bangalore, I can't relate to what SMS is saying. To me Bangalore is materialistically better than Singapore, there are stuff that I can afford there which I can't afford here. Now there may be really poor people in India that foreigners like to focus on but I am not affected by it nor is the op nor the burgeoning middle class in India.

Now you ask me why am I here if I could do better in Bangalore. The reason is the cost of living differential means that whatever I save here will have a magnified effect in terms of purchasing power parity in indian terms. The last 3 and half years I have already saved more than what I would have saved had I worked for even 6 years in India. So I can go back now and not even work for the next 2years and yet I am doing fine. That's how most Indians who come abroad think. There are some exceptions though ;)
And you are going to tell me you are the exception, right? I mean, there is the reason you haven't gotten your PR yet. And probably ICA can sense it. You aren't looking for PR, but a long term visa to help you to make money to return to India. So, in all your guises on here, you are still what some would call an abuser, or shall we say, an abuser wannabe (as you haven't gotten the PR yet.). :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 29 Dec 2012 3:39 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wd40 wrote:
ecureilx wrote: Oh boy ..

And you are going to tell me you are the exception, right? I mean, there is the reason you haven't gotten your PR yet. And probably ICA can sense it. You aren't looking for PR, but a long term visa to help you to make money to return to India. So, in all your guises on here, you are still what some would call an abuser, or shall we say, an abuser wannabe (as you haven't gotten the PR yet.). :-|
If I do get PR, I will continue to work and stay here for the long term as long as it is profitable. It could be another 5 years, 10 years.. I dont know. May be I work here for the next 10 years then I would have made enough to retire. I cant really predict beyond that where am I going to be or what I am going to do.

Now if it is not profitable at some point of time say after 5 years salaries completely stagnate here while they keep going up in India, then may be I will move back or move to the next country that is more profitable.

I dont know, to me that is not abuse because I am contributing by being here paying taxes etc. Abuse would be if I just take the PR not because I need it but just to use it as a stepping stone to go to another country or just having the PR buy a HDB and rent it out and go and stay in India etc.

The PR itself is a 5 year deal and just like we need to provide proof of 3 years of tax statements for REP renewal to show we are worth it, so in the same spirit of give and take I would expect the country to show proof that its worth for me staying here.

I know for a long term PR like you that sounds like abuse. But, my reasoning for PR is that it allows you to buy a HDB and mitigate the crazy rents here. If there was a way to get away from paying crazy rents without taking up PR, I am sure lots of people would have opted for it.

Unfortunately that is the only way. Its either take PR and stay for the medium- long term or you are looking at moving out anytime from here. I think the ICA is completely aware of this as most Indians think exactly the way I think. So if we do get PR, then I assume I am not abusing it. If I dont get, well, its not the end of the world for me.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 29 Dec 2012 7:02 am

Which answers what I've long suspected when you first arrived here several years ago. You have your meaning of "Permanent Resident" which should have been translated as "Abusers Semi-Permanent Resident". Obviously, if the economy were to tank here a lot would move, but you are not concerned with helping this country at all, but only that which you can take from it. Paying taxes? You are not helping the country, you are just paying your dues, nothing more. It costs the country more in infrastructure costs per person than you pay in taxes. You are a net drain on their economy, nothing more.

ututu
Regular
Regular

Post by ututu » Sat, 29 Dec 2012 9:36 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Which answers what I've long suspected when you first arrived here several years ago. You have your meaning of "Permanent Resident" which should have been translated as "Abusers Semi-Permanent Resident". Obviously, if the economy were to tank here a lot would move, but you are not concerned with helping this country at all, but only that which you can take from it. Paying taxes? You are not helping the country, you are just paying your dues, nothing more. It costs the country more in infrastructure costs per person than you pay in taxes. You are a net drain on their economy, nothing more.
The "we are not a country just a city" country that sh..ts on most vulnerable due to economic pragmatism shouldn't really expect that it won't get the same treatment. Singapore is ran by bean counters and so bean counting is what they get.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 29 Dec 2012 10:04 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Which answers what I've long suspected when you first arrived here several years ago. You have your meaning of "Permanent Resident" which should have been translated as "Abusers Semi-Permanent Resident". Obviously, if the economy were to tank here a lot would move, but you are not concerned with helping this country at all, but only that which you can take from it. Paying taxes? You are not helping the country, you are just paying your dues, nothing more. It costs the country more in infrastructure costs per person than you pay in taxes. You are a net drain on their economy, nothing more.
I think, the country thinks I am more important, than you think. I am not an economist but with some very basic knowledge I will tell you how I am contributing.

The Big MNC that I am working for has a huge portion of its work force who are foreigners. Now the company's operations in Singapore cannot exist without foreigners. Without operations the gahmen won't get the corporate taxes that my company pays. Nor will all the jobs for Singaporeans exists in my company and nor will the all the indirect employment like food courts the changi city point mall exist.

Now foreigners like me will leave unless we get a sweetened deal, i.e. PR and the gahmen knew this and that's why they approved record numbers in 2008. In 2008 they have approved cases where parents have applied for pr without including their male children and also they have approved cases where people have applied within 6months of arrival and bachelors.

So I am pretty sure, it's not the gahmen who look at it as much of an abuse as the long timers on this board do.
Last edited by Wd40 on Sat, 29 Dec 2012 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 29 Dec 2012 10:04 am

Fortunately, not all feel the same way as a certain race/nationality do - to the point of it being an accurate stereotype of them and furthermore has caused them to incur the wrath of both the Singaporean public and the gahment as well. Maybe this is a good thing? :P

Now foreigners like me will leave unless we get a sweetened deal, i.e. PR
You, as much as anybody else, has seen the pogrom against Indian nationals this past 1.5 years. You are only kidding yourselves. Yes, the foreign banks need foreigners, but they are finding that they don't need Indians. Much like Citibank getting rid of their former CEO in the recently. You are talking about 2008. This is 2012 and the tables are turned.
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Sat, 29 Dec 2012 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 29 Dec 2012 10:10 am

May be, like I said earlier we always hedge our positions, so we are covered, we have nothing to lose everything to gain :wink:

We have our country to go back to no matter how bad it is, that's our base case scenario.