Singapore Expats

Employment Pass Rules for Physically disabled

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
sunny.01432

Employment Pass Rules for Physically disabled

Post by sunny.01432 » Mon, 24 Dec 2012 8:46 pm

Hi,

I am 28 years old man with Bachelor of Technology in Information Technology (2007) from India. I have 5+ Year experience as Oracle Database Administrator, presently working in Muscat,OMAN.

I am a physically disabled person because of polio, which happened when I was 1.5 years old. My left leg is little weak, I use wearable support on leg. Still I cant walk like normal BUT I am independent.

When I was coming here in muscat,Oman for job they denied me work visa (Bcoz of medical checkup report). Then I have to get a letter from company that they are aware of my situation and I am able to perform the job they offering. Then I got work visa in OMAN.

I am here from last 3 years, in between I renewed Visa once. I didnt had any problem while renewing visa..

Now, I wanted to work in Singapore as Oracle Database administrator, I have good set of skills in my field. I am sure that I can pass any interview.
Now, What I wanted to know that "Are physically disabled proffesional allowed in Singapore?". If YES, is there any special requirement or procedure.

Do not get me wrong but I also want to know how the Singaporean people treat physically disabled peoples?

Thanks[/b]
sunny

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 24 Dec 2012 9:12 pm

My closest friend had polio as a child and still walks with a very pronounced limp. He is a Scheduling & costing engineer with a lot of major Western contruction contractors and has work for Bechtel in the middle east, Whorley & Parson, PT Tripatra in Indonesia (currently), Badger Construction (Singapore), and several in Malaysia. He is now a PR in Singapore. You are only handicapped if you want to be. It's not a problem with Singapore as long as you can pass a medical, e.g., TB, HIV, etc. Don't worry about it. Worry more about the company being able to justifying hiring a foreigner to do a job that many locals can do. This will be your biggest hurdle.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Mon, 24 Dec 2012 9:33 pm

I've seen some physically disabled professionals around the Suntec Tower, Asians and Caucasians. What SMS said is true: "worry more about the company being able to justifying hiring a foreigner to do a job that many locals can do". Plus strict barriers from government to reduce foreigners in Singapore.
"Budget Expat"

sunny.01432

Post by sunny.01432 » Mon, 24 Dec 2012 10:56 pm

hi sundaymorningstaple & v4jr4,

Thanks for info. your kind words make feel little easy now. I have no other problem like TB,HIV,Hearth related etc. I do ride (Non modified) bike, n now learning to drive car.

I do understand the strict rules for EP. And those are correct. I am totally ready for those hurdles.

For me major concern was whether it was allowed or not... thanks again...

if it is possible I would like to chit chat with a disabled expat (on forum or email / chat ). so that I can clarify all my doubt and I will come to know the real time experiences.. Please help me in this..
sunny

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 26 Dec 2012 9:11 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:...Worry more about the company being able to justifying hiring a foreigner to do a job that many locals can do. This will be your biggest hurdle.
+1 and same for v4jr4

BTW, the place I volunteer does placement for physically challenged people ..

Overall, a lot of companies are making changes to make the work places handicapped friendly .. and these tend to be larger companies / MNCs.

Smaller companies are eager to employer physically challenged, but are not geared to accomodate a person on a wheelchair, for example

As long as you are not trying to get into a vendor environment, where you need to make site visits, you are good to go ..

sunny.01432

Post by sunny.01432 » Wed, 26 Dec 2012 3:36 pm

Hi ecureilx,

Its good to know that Efforts are being taken for Disabled peoples. In my case I do use all normal facilities like stairs, metro traveling etc... I dont feel i am less than anyone coz i do all stuff that a normal guy can do.. BUT medically, all of them label us as "a Disabled" :)

I would like to know and connect with the institution u volunteering for.

As all of u said, I should worry about employer..I do agree with it.. I am having some references from there, I guess those will work out..
sunny

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 26 Dec 2012 5:27 pm

sunny.01432 wrote:Hi ecureilx,
Its good to know that Efforts are being taken for Disabled peoples. In my case I do use all normal facilities like stairs, metro traveling etc... I dont feel i am less than anyone coz i do all stuff that a normal guy can do.. BUT medically, all of them label us as "a Disabled" :)
Compared to about like 10 years ago, all MRT stations have lifts, and it is getting common to see all new buildings to be handicapped friendly .. and active assistance by the bus capitain is provided in all handicap friendly buses .. add to it most of the buses are equipped with ramps to help those less moble ..

Well, to give you an idea of the current efforts going on here . ..

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 09 Jan 2013 12:21 pm

I hired a polio afflicted electronics tech many years ago in Singapore. My Chinese boss was appalled! He claimed Fong would bring bad luck. I argued back telling him that Fong would be stuck at his work bench for 10 hours a day and not be able to run away like the other young guys.... and Fong was cheap.

Fong worked there for five years and was their best ET hands down. He was a bunch of fun and all he wanted for a bonus was to be shouted a good time in Geylang once a year.
Now I'm called PNGMK