Singapore Expats

PR cancellation

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
alexleuo2

PR cancellation

Post by alexleuo2 » Wed, 19 Dec 2012 12:48 pm

I have few questions on PR cancellation, Appreciate if anyone can help.
How long does it take to cancel the Singapore PR? how long after cancellation you are allowed to stay in Singapore? how long does it take to receive the CPF money?
Thanks
by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 19 Dec 2012 2:24 pm
First of all, you need to inform your current employer that you will be giving up your PR. They are required to file the IR-21 Tax Clearance on your behalf. They will be instructed by IRAS to withhold your last month's salary until such time as the Tax Clearance has been computed and the employer has paid same and deducted it from your withheld salary. Once paid, IRAS will send both the employer and employee notice of the Tax clearance. After this is done, proceed with the following......

Renouncing Singapore Permanent Residence

You can cancel your Singapore permanent residence (PR) if your re-entry permit is still valid and you have decided to renounce your PR status for whatever reason. The following documents will be required:

Your passport
Your PR card (ie NRIC)
The certificate of permanent residence (that was given to you at the time of issuance of permanent residence status)
A letter addressed to Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) of Singapore stating your desire to cancel the Singapore PR status

If you are in Singapore, you can visit ICA office and renounce your PR. If you are overseas, you can usually visit the nearest Singapore embassy/consulate or courier them the required documents for processing. Double-check with the embassy/consulate of Singapore in your jurisdiction for their exact procedure & requirements. There is no fee charged for cancellation of your Singapore PR. Once your documents are processed, the ICA in Singapore will send you a letter confirming that you are no longer a permanent resident of Singapore.

After your permanent residence status has been canceled, you may withdraw your CPF balance in full. In order to withdraw your CPF, you can fill-out the application form and mail the required documents as mentioned in the application form. Upon approval of your application, if you have any further income tax liabilities they will be settled from your CPF balance first. The remaining CPF balance due to you can be wire transferred to your bank account anywhere in the world. The processing time for CPF withdrawal can take anywhere between 2-4 weeks.
Go to full post

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Re: PR cancellation

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 19 Dec 2012 1:52 pm

alexleuo2 wrote:I have few questions on PR cancellation, Appreciate if anyone can help.
How long does it take to cancel the Singapore PR? how long after cancellation you are allowed to stay in Singapore? how long does it take to receive the CPF money?
Thanks
It can all be done is two days I believe - maybe one day. You inform ICA in the morning. They give a letter or note it on their system. Presumably ICA will inform you how long you have (probably not more than two weeks depending on yoru nationality). Run to CPF and fill in a form telling them where you want the money - they transfer in 30 days or so.
Now I'm called PNGMK

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 19 Dec 2012 2:24 pm

First of all, you need to inform your current employer that you will be giving up your PR. They are required to file the IR-21 Tax Clearance on your behalf. They will be instructed by IRAS to withhold your last month's salary until such time as the Tax Clearance has been computed and the employer has paid same and deducted it from your withheld salary. Once paid, IRAS will send both the employer and employee notice of the Tax clearance. After this is done, proceed with the following......

Renouncing Singapore Permanent Residence

You can cancel your Singapore permanent residence (PR) if your re-entry permit is still valid and you have decided to renounce your PR status for whatever reason. The following documents will be required:

Your passport
Your PR card (ie NRIC)
The certificate of permanent residence (that was given to you at the time of issuance of permanent residence status)
A letter addressed to Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) of Singapore stating your desire to cancel the Singapore PR status

If you are in Singapore, you can visit ICA office and renounce your PR. If you are overseas, you can usually visit the nearest Singapore embassy/consulate or courier them the required documents for processing. Double-check with the embassy/consulate of Singapore in your jurisdiction for their exact procedure & requirements. There is no fee charged for cancellation of your Singapore PR. Once your documents are processed, the ICA in Singapore will send you a letter confirming that you are no longer a permanent resident of Singapore.

After your permanent residence status has been canceled, you may withdraw your CPF balance in full. In order to withdraw your CPF, you can fill-out the application form and mail the required documents as mentioned in the application form. Upon approval of your application, if you have any further income tax liabilities they will be settled from your CPF balance first. The remaining CPF balance due to you can be wire transferred to your bank account anywhere in the world. The processing time for CPF withdrawal can take anywhere between 2-4 weeks.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

madcat23

Post by madcat23 » Mon, 19 Aug 2013 3:42 am

hi, long time lurker here !.

what if you are the principal PR holder and your wife has a PR as well ? if we are currently not in Singapore can i fly over and get this done within a day or two without my wife as we have a child now (1 month old) and i would like to avoid taking her with me

p.s - sorry for bringing back and old post - its just that it makes perfect sense to ask this question here

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 19 Aug 2013 6:38 am

You dont have to come to Singapore for cancelling PR. You can do it at any Singapore embassy. My friend has done it and got his CPF refund.

madcat23

Post by madcat23 » Mon, 19 Aug 2013 11:48 am

Wd40 wrote:You dont have to come to Singapore for cancelling PR. You can do it at any Singapore embassy. My friend has done it and got his CPF refund.
thanks - do you know the timeframe for this ? how long it will the processing take ? if its faster i might as well make the trip. i know from this post that the CPF processing will take about 30 days.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 19 Aug 2013 12:04 pm

madcat23 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:You dont have to come to Singapore for cancelling PR. You can do it at any Singapore embassy. My friend has done it and got his CPF refund.
thanks - do you know the timeframe for this ? how long it will the processing take ? if its faster i might as well make the trip. i know from this post that the CPF processing will take about 30 days.
Sorry man, no clue.

madcat23

Post by madcat23 » Mon, 19 Aug 2013 6:12 pm

Wd40 wrote:
madcat23 wrote:
Sorry man, no clue.
no worries. many thanks ! much appreciated.

madcat23

Post by madcat23 » Mon, 14 Oct 2013 9:55 pm

even a day is too much. i got the whole thing done in one hour.

i phoned up ICA and asked for details they told me to bring in the same documents SMS has mentioned above. but when i asked them what the procedure is if i cannot bring my wife over they said its ok just get her signature on the same letter. my wifes intuition is much better than mine so she suggested i get her signature on a blank page and take it with me just in case the letter i wrote needs more work.

made an e-appointment with ICA - there is no category for PR cancellation so i choose "renew my entry permit". this was the first appointment Monday morning at 8.15am - booked flights to arrive on sunday and went in, explained the situation to the immigration officer and she said that since i didnt bring my wife with me i`ll need a letter authorizing me to act on behalf of her ! the blank signature page sure came in handy ! afterwards she took both our passports and stamped cancellation seals on them where the IC number was stamped on - issued 3 letters to me. 2 of them are acknowledging that our PR is renounced for both me and my wife and another sheet with a temp visa allowing me 30 days in Singapore (which i have to surrender at immigration)

everything was done by 8.45 i hopped on a cab to the CPF building at tanjong pagar (robinson road) there was again no queue - so was served first up. every counter has a screen/keyboard/mouse terminal on it for your own use. the lady behind the counter asked if i remember my singpass then she helped me through the process of submitting online. updated my new contact details. i choose a bank transfer which she advised would take upto 20 working days - Giro is faster but that needs to be setup earlier. i stepped out of the building at 9.10am - got my flight changed for an extra fee checked out early and was home the next day !

still a little sad when i open up my wallet to see the spot where i used to keep my blue IC card... Singapores great if your single earning just about 100k an year.. but with a family, 100k doesnt quite last.

after exactly 15 working days i got an email from ICA that my funds are credited. the 16th day the funds were already in my Singapore bank account. you can find the processing times here http://mycpf.cpf.gov.sg/CPF/Sv.....rounds.htm

shajj

Post by shajj » Sun, 22 Feb 2015 1:00 am

How to cancel wife's PR in singapore. Husband is PR & working in Singapore and wife has dependent PR. What need to do if he want cancel only his wife's PR (he wants to keep his PR) ?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 22 Feb 2015 10:39 am

shajj wrote:How to cancel wife's PR in singapore. Husband is PR & working in Singapore and wife has dependent PR. What need to do if he want cancel only his wife's PR (he wants to keep his PR) ?
Head to ICA. Depending on which country she may have to leave upon cancellation

And curious I am ..why ?????

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 22 Feb 2015 2:03 pm

Or, they might just cancel BOTH PR's then make him reapply. Wouldn't that be a kick in the arse! :o
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 22 Feb 2015 6:35 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Or, they might just cancel BOTH PR's then make him reapply. Wouldn't that be a kick in the arse! :o
Image Image Image Image Image Image

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 23 Feb 2015 2:46 pm

ecureilx wrote:
shajj wrote:How to cancel wife's PR in singapore. Husband is PR & working in Singapore and wife has dependent PR. What need to do if he want cancel only his wife's PR (he wants to keep his PR) ?

She wants her CPF is my wager... or doesn't want her bun in the oven doing NS. I suspect this will not end well for any of them.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 23 Feb 2015 5:14 pm

PNGMK wrote:
ecureilx wrote:

She wants her CPF is my wager... or doesn't want her bun in the oven doing NS. I suspect this will not end well for any of them.
and after the maiden post, the OP vanished !!!