Singapore Expats

EP Rejection Reason - Any Insight?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
hendra_ahg

EP Rejection Reason - Any Insight?

Post by hendra_ahg » Wed, 19 Dec 2012 11:19 am

Hi All,

I just want to check from your perspective on the rejection reason of my EP application as follow:

"The candidate is not eligible to apply for a work pass. Please look for another candidate."

The situation is like this: The salary I got from the offer of one local software company is less than what I need to get to be eligible for EP. But the company mentioned they will apply both EP and SPASS.

Judging from the rejection reason, does this mean I'm not eligible for EP or SPASS?

Please, any insight will be highly appreciate.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: EP Rejection Reason - Any Insight?

Post by the lynx » Wed, 19 Dec 2012 11:40 am

hendra_ahg wrote:Hi All,

I just want to check from your perspective on the rejection reason of my EP application as follow:

"The candidate is not eligible to apply for a work pass. Please look for another candidate."

The situation is like this: The salary I got from the offer of one local software company is less than what I need to get to be eligible for EP. But the company mentioned they will apply both EP and SPASS.

Judging from the rejection reason, does this mean I'm not eligible for EP or SPASS?

It means not only they don't want you for EP, they also don't want you for SPass. Sorry.

The offered salary is already less than the MINIMUM requirement for EP, so I guess it should be above the one for SPass. But then again, minimum requirement doesn't guarantee approval.

And you mentioned 'software company', so you must be hired for IT, right? If that is so, you are also lucked out because this is the job that locals have higher priority to hire over foreigners, unless you have very highly niche skills in that.

That's my 2 cents about it.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 19 Dec 2012 1:17 pm

Just an add on, it means as the poster is not qualified for either an EP or an S pass, they are also not qualified even for a WP. The reason being is probably she is from a country that is not a traditional WP supplier so only those qualified for Employment Passes can work here. They are not eligible to apply for or get a Work Permit. Only those from "traditional source" countries can apply for WPs.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Wed, 19 Dec 2012 1:33 pm

Perhaps, OP's age & salary are in the bad range, like 30 years old with 2K salary.
OOT: I can't help but to think hendra_ahg is from Indonesia.
"Budget Expat"

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 19 Dec 2012 1:54 pm

v4jr4 wrote:Perhaps, OP's age & salary are in the bad range, like 30 years old with 2K salary.
OOT: I can't help but to think hendra_ahg is from Indonesia.
Indo ≠ WP.
Now I'm called PNGMK

hendra_ahg

Post by hendra_ahg » Wed, 19 Dec 2012 10:20 pm

yes, i'm from indonesia.
and yes, i'm 30years old but the salary i get is only a little bit lower than what i need to get for EP by using the tools from MOM website.

thank u again for your insight, i can only keep trying to get higher salary to meet the requirement.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 19 Dec 2012 10:40 pm

Not to put a damper on your spirit, but the income figures on the MOM site are for persons who have the proper qualifications and are generally fresh grads with a minimum of 2 years experience. If you are older than a fresh grad, you income will have to be commensurately higher to justify hiring an older person. So, if you have a degree and only 2 years experience and around 24 or 25 years old, you have a chance. The same position for a person with 30 years of age and 5 to 7 years of experience could be expected to have a worth of say 5-5.5K/mo. If the offer is less, MOM may well not grant the EP. The guidelines are the minimum for "consideration" for the pass, they are not a "guarantee" to get the pass. Important Point to note.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: EP Rejection Reason - Any Insight?

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 20 Dec 2012 9:51 am

hendra_ahg wrote:Hi All,

Hendra: did you by any chance, work here in Singapore before ??

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Thu, 20 Dec 2012 10:03 am

Although 2K is one of the requirements for SP, maybe they don't have any quota left.
"Budget Expat"

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 20 Dec 2012 10:09 am

v4jr4 wrote:Although 2K is one of the requirements for SP, maybe they don't have any quota left.
Quota - for whom ? the employer or Singapore ?? :D

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Thu, 20 Dec 2012 10:14 am

ecureilx wrote:
v4jr4 wrote:Although 2K is one of the requirements for SP, maybe they don't have any quota left.
Quota - for whom ? the employer or Singapore ?? :D
I mean quota for SPass.
"Budget Expat"

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 20 Dec 2012 11:47 am

If it were due to the S pass Quota the rejection notice will say so.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 20 Dec 2012 12:00 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If it were due to the S pass Quota the rejection notice will say so.
.... and I was trying to pull a silly joke asking if the Country ran out of Quota :D

hendra_ahg

Post by hendra_ahg » Thu, 20 Dec 2012 7:16 pm

thanks all for the comments.
let me just describe the situation here.
I worked in singapore before for 3 years. go back for around 10 months and come back again to singapore looking another chance.

the rejection reason i mentioned in the first place is when the company mentioned they apply for both EP and SPASS with salary of 3.5k.

I do understand 3.5k is far from getting EP with 8 years exp. but since they said want to try spass too, then i agreed. however the rejection result is like that.

Then got another company really apply spass for me and the rejection is different. which is "You company don't have quota for another SPASS"

So, at first I thought I really am not eligible for any workpass here, but 2nd rejection give me hope for spass.

Anyway, not giving high hope on the current situation. as I come to singapore to accompany my wive until she gets the maternity leave. but if can get any spass job why not :)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 20 Dec 2012 8:10 pm

The second company was rejected because of no quota. So you applicatiion didn't even get looked at to be rejected of it's own accord as it is not relevant if the hiring company is not allowed to hire you. So you have been rejected once for criteria and you have one company who was rejected for quota. If you were rejected for criteria in the first company, you are wasting your time applying to other companies. But if you have money to burn, and want a holiday in Singapore, then keep applying. Odds are, all the results will be of a similar vein.

I understand that English is not your first language, so I would ask you to go back and reread my initial response to you, very carefully. Based on your post, you indicated that the employer applied for an EP and also ticked the S Pass box as well. This is the smart thing to do but not all employers do that as by ticking that box, if the guy does get an S pass it will cost the employer more as there are levies up to $320 a month (currently but will go up again next month - January). The rejection you received means you are not qualified for either type of pass. Nor are you eligible to apply for a Work Permit (as I already noted). I'm afraid you are up the creek without a paddle and any further applications are going to be an exercise in futility.