Singapore Expats

More strike

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 19 Dec 2012 11:53 am

ututu wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote: Sg.yahoo.com is a Singapore based company..... yeah - I agree that puzzled me too. But maybe sg.yahoo.com is not really Singapore based?
Andrew is one of TOC guys (The Online Citizen) and I think he is well aware of gahmen regulations and squeeze they tried to put on online media. Unfortunately for gahmen they would have to go all in China way with "Great Firewall" and even then they would have problems controlling information spread.

BTW, it's a blog and Yahoo Singapore was sued by SPH not so long time ago. And as far as I am concerned he is a lot better journalist than any of in local cage liners who just regurgitate gahmen press releases.
... or plagiarise other journalists' works in news establishments outside of Singapore.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 19 Dec 2012 5:07 pm

S’pore govt should ease restrictions on freedom of expression: HRW

Yahoo! Newsroom – Fri, Jan 27, 2012

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/-s%E2%80%99por ... sion-.html

Singapore’s government should ease restrictions on freedom of expression instead of making excuses not to do so, a US-based human rights group said on Tuesday.

In its annual report released on Monday which assessed progress on human rights in more than 90 countries over the past year, the Human Rights Watch (HRW) pointed out how the government had either dismissed or contested the recommendations to improve its civil and political liberties made by the United Nations Human Rights Council’s Universal Periodic Review (UPR) process in May last year.

The UN report, it said, had highlighted areas of concerns such as use of preventive detention, defamation suits and restrictions on public protests among others.

“Singapore's claims of exemption from human rights standards are just lame excuses for abuses,”

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 19 Dec 2012 5:13 pm

The TL;DR, schoolyard-playground, much more amusing version:

HRW: You're a bully and I just told everyone in the playground.
SG: Well, that bigger American kid is a bully. I'm not a bully; I just enforce order in the playground.

Sorry, slow day.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Thu, 20 Dec 2012 12:07 pm

I don't believe "striking" for not being paid is indeed striking at all!? Surely if you are not being paid then it's a break in contract?

People don't go to work to NOT get paid, I'm with them on this one!
nutnut

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 20 Dec 2012 12:14 pm

nutnut wrote:I don't believe "striking" for not being paid is indeed striking at all!? Surely if you are not being paid then it's a break in contract?

People don't go to work to NOT get paid, I'm with them on this one!
I was thinking this too. Salary is payment for services. No payment, no service. :roll:

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Thu, 20 Dec 2012 12:21 pm

Too right! although, no service> no job, no job> no visa, maybe they are better calling it a strike if they want to stay here!
nutnut

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 20 Dec 2012 12:25 pm

nutnut wrote:Too right! although, no service> no job, no job> no visa, maybe they are better calling it a strike if they want to stay here!
It's supposed to be a fair and equitable transaction except that those construction workers don't have leverage--> the visa!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 20 Dec 2012 1:45 pm

nakatago wrote:
nutnut wrote:Too right! although, no service> no job, no job> no visa, maybe they are better calling it a strike if they want to stay here!
It's supposed to be a fair and equitable transaction except that those construction workers don't have leverage--> the visa!
A little side note .. if there is a case on-going, the workers get a Special Pass .. so they can stay :D but then again, once the case ends, off they go back .. :(

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Thu, 20 Dec 2012 1:54 pm

Let's hope that it won't turn into a gruesome case, since a cornered mouse will bite the cat

*knock table*
"Budget Expat"

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 20 Dec 2012 2:21 pm

http://youtu.be/UTJvu11xTDs

Just like this one!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 20 Dec 2012 2:25 pm

ecureilx wrote:
nakatago wrote:
A little side note .. if there is a case on-going, the workers get a Special Pass .. so they can stay :D but then again, once the case ends, off they go back .. :(
The problem is the enforcement of a judgement. I really didn't read much about it but that Nepalese guy who got a favorable verdict still didn't get his money because he needed to spend more money (which he didn't have in the first place) just so what the judge said would be followed. That's so screwed up, IMHO.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Thu, 20 Dec 2012 3:28 pm

nakatago wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
nakatago wrote: It's supposed to be a fair and equitable transaction except that those construction workers don't have leverage--> the visa!
The problem is the enforcement of a judgement. I really didn't read much about it but that Nepalese guy who got a favorable verdict still didn't get his money because he needed to spend more money (which he didn't have in the first place) just so what the judge said would be followed. That's so screwed up, IMHO.
And you can bet your ass his previous employers simply counted the days until his S pass expired.
Now I'm called PNGMK

teck21
Chatter
Chatter

Post by teck21 » Thu, 20 Dec 2012 10:51 pm

Government makes it a point to treat foreigners from poorer countries like shit, why should the local population be expected to behave differently.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 20 Dec 2012 11:59 pm

Excellent point, teck21. Unfortunately.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 21 Dec 2012 12:05 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Excellent point, teck21. Unfortunately.
A quote I heard from long ago:

"If there's such a thing as a superiority complex, you have it."

Which, as it turns out, there is.