Singapore Expats

Place to donate furniture

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Place to donate furniture

Post by movingtospore » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 6:41 am

Anybody know of a place that would come pick up old furniture, to donate that is? We have a sofa and a few other things that are perfectly good - just don't fit in the new abode.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 8:07 am

Salvos on Serangoon Road
Now I'm called PNGMK

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 9:43 am

the reason why you cannot donate furniture in Singapore is .. most of the charity / welfare organisations have become dumping ground for unwanted stuff .. since it costs removal companies too to move them .. or pay for bulk refuse if you discard 'em ..

And more than one welfare organisation is terrified of furniture donors .. unless they have a recipient to pick it up .. (again costs $ to move .. )

There was a thread before .. on getting rid of old furniture ..

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 12:04 pm

IME - if you can get it to the Salvo's - you can 'dump' it.

Most condo's have a refuse collection yearly as well and often will store junk until that date if you ask the MA/PM nicely.
Now I'm called PNGMK

Cath C
Regular
Regular

Post by Cath C » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 2:20 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:IME - if you can get it to the Salvo's - you can 'dump' it.
They'll also collect stuff. We recently donated some furniture, but they did charge a $60 fee to collect it.

I often see people putting up notices at our condo for second hand furniture and that seems to be reasonably effective. Maybe ebay.com.sg would be worth a try as well.

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 9:24 pm

Ok, great, am quite happy to pay $60 to get rid of it all. :)

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Tue, 18 Dec 2012 10:23 pm

Cath C wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:IME - if you can get it to the Salvo's - you can 'dump' it.
They'll also collect stuff. We recently donated some furniture, but they did charge a $60 fee to collect it.

I often see people putting up notices at our condo for second hand furniture and that seems to be reasonably effective. Maybe ebay.com.sg would be worth a try as well.
Hah. That's brought memories back. I haven't seen a notice board (for residents) in a Condo for years. I remember living in the old PUB flats by Labrador park for a few years. I decided to go back to Australia and stuck a 'for sale' note up in the common stair well. To my surprise everything sold... it seemed people in those flats knew a bargain. Why aren't there notice board in condos for residents? Too shy?
Now I'm called PNGMK

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 19 Dec 2012 9:32 am

offshoreoildude wrote: Hah. That's brought memories back. I haven't seen a notice board (for residents) in a condo for years. I remember living in the old PUB flats by Labrador park for a few years. I decided to go back to Australia and stuck a 'for sale' note up in the common stair well. To my surprise everything sold... it seemed people in those flats knew a bargain. Why aren't there notice board in condos for residents? Too shy?
Most condos, if not all Condos, do have notice boards .. but the amount of 'approvals' can drive you mad ..

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 19 Dec 2012 9:40 am

ecureilx wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote: Hah. That's brought memories back. I haven't seen a notice board (for residents) in a condo for years. I remember living in the old PUB flats by Labrador park for a few years. I decided to go back to Australia and stuck a 'for sale' note up in the common stair well. To my surprise everything sold... it seemed people in those flats knew a bargain. Why aren't there notice board in condos for residents? Too shy?
Most condos, if not all Condos, do have notice boards .. but the amount of 'approvals' can drive you mad ..
The condo that I used to live used to have free notice board for residents' use... until residents themselves ruined it with passive-aggressive notes on each other for littering, noise, smoking etc and also some people sticking ads for home-based music, swimming, language lessons etc. So they had it taken down and approvals are now needed to tack notes on the main board.

Unfortunately, for most condo, advertisements for unwanted furniture are usually not approved :(

Scotsman2013

Freecycle / Freegle

Post by Scotsman2013 » Wed, 19 Dec 2012 10:24 am

Hi Guys,
Give it away here;
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SgFreecycle/

Wen_XY

Re: Freecycle / Freegle

Post by Wen_XY » Sun, 23 Dec 2012 1:10 pm

Scotsman2013 wrote:Hi Guys,
Give it away here;
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SgFreecycle/
I second freecycle, but if you want more options, there's a helpful list here - http://usedfurnituresingapore.net/donat ... furniture/