Singapore Expats Forum

Looking for hardware tools

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

cleve23

Looking for hardware tools

Postby cleve23 » Sun, 16 Dec 2012 1:56 pm

Hi, i am looking for allen key set or known as hexagon key set that is color coated. Been trying to search online but could not find any results.
Please tell me where can i buy it in singapore. THANKS ALOT!!!!!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 16 Dec 2012 2:19 pm

I can't say that I've even seen them here. I have several sets but most are either the normal one or the long on one side style with the ball hex on one end (I particularly like those as you can get to hard to reach places without need to be perpendicular to the nut head to insert the hex key. I believe mine are Proto which if good enough for the offshore oilfields where I used to work, they're good enough for me.

Having said that, we used to use a liquid rubber to dip adjustible spanner handles in to give a nice grip to. I reckon you could use that stuff but it would probably cost you more than it's worth. Most hex keys are kept in a sort of plastic holder that is sized and labeled though, unless it the type that are hung on a ring with swivel hooks that slip over the long end of the hex keys.

I assume that these are what your are looking for:

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/200 ... r-freight/

I forgot about the T-handle type of hex keys (all mine are the "L" shaped ones. This one you can order from the US and it's actually two sets, one in SAE the other in Metric. They will ship to Singapore but will have to contact for costs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Pcs-T-Handle ... 2a27125365

Wd40
Director
Director

Postby Wd40 » Sun, 16 Dec 2012 2:46 pm

You can get it at any neighbourhood hardware shop. The set of 10 costs about 3$. But the handle is small though. I guess you can get the bigger handle ones too. Mustafa, Giant and Daiso are also good places to hunt.

cleve23

Postby cleve23 » Sun, 16 Dec 2012 2:48 pm

the allen key set that i am finding in this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extra-Long-9-Pi ... 2321e7f6a3

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 16 Dec 2012 3:05 pm

Looks like the price of them, shipped from the UK is around the same as shipping the colour colded T handled ones from either the US or the UK. I've made over 500 purchases from eBay internationally without a problem. I've never seen them here at all, though.

Wd40
Director
Director

Postby Wd40 » Sun, 16 Dec 2012 3:16 pm

Yeah, I havent seen those colors but I think I have seen the standard black ones of the same size, in a nice orange-black tool box in Giant, Mustafa and the erstwhile carrefour(suntec)

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 16 Dec 2012 3:20 pm

1. Mustafa
2. there is DIY store at B1 or B2 in city square mall on Serangoon Rd ( next to mustafa) I just bought a few tools from there I did notice some allen key set that looked similar to yours
you might want to check that out too.

Wd40
Director
Director

Postby Wd40 » Sun, 16 Dec 2012 3:22 pm

Yeah, the DIY stores called home fix in most of the malls is another good place to hunt

x9200

Postby x9200 » Sun, 16 Dec 2012 6:09 pm

cleve23 wrote:the allen key set that i am finding in this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extra-Long-9-Pi ... 2321e7f6a3

I agree with SMS, buy it from Ebay. I visit frequently many DIY stores and don't recall ever seeing one like this. Even if there is one somewhere you'll waste more time and money looking for it than it is really worth.

cleve23

Postby cleve23 » Sun, 16 Dec 2012 6:13 pm

Thanks for the help and advice. Guess i will just buy it from ebay then. Thanks Alot!!!! :D

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Postby offshoreoildude » Sun, 16 Dec 2012 7:46 pm

Buying GOOD tools is hard work in Singapore. Plenty of crap around though. If you're in aerospace or engineering most companies have suppliers lined up but they don't retail.
Now I'm called PNGMK

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 16 Dec 2012 11:58 pm

Actually, if you go to Homely Hardware they have pretty good tools.

Google them as they have several locations. On out in Ubi and another on Toh Guan Road East in the Enterprise Hub. on the ground floor. Proto are a pretty good brand here and are used quite extensively in the oil industry.

x9200

Postby x9200 » Fri, 08 Mar 2013 8:50 am

Homely Hardware got recently rebranded to Masterpro so anyone looking for them please take a note.

http://www.masterpro.com.sg/

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 08 Mar 2013 1:42 pm

Nice update. I was in there place in Enterprise Hub out here in Toh Guan Road East a couple of months ago to buy a couple of nifty 24" bar clamps but I don't think they had changed their signboard at that time. I'm not sure as I usually go in from the inside driveway and not from the street facing one.

x9200

Postby x9200 » Fri, 08 Mar 2013 3:49 pm

It's very recent. I got right in the middle of the change (flower baskets etc) somewhere around CNY. Yesterday a girl at the counter proudly handed over to me her new business card :)
Same staff and stuff, different name.