Singapore Expats

Tripadvisor World City survey

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 4:36 pm

Awwwwww, don't be so hard on the new guy, he's definitely got a problem but I think he's inherited it.....

Maybe I should get out the ole fishin' pole......

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sabaisabai

Post by sabaisabai » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 4:37 pm

v4jr4 wrote:Not just them. I will activate the defense mechanism if a stranger walks in and say "Hi" out of a sudden. Why? Just to make sure that you're not Hannibal :P
You and the lynx have just proven that it is clearly a cultural thing. 8-)

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 4:42 pm

sabaisabai wrote:
v4jr4 wrote:Not just them. I will activate the defense mechanism if a stranger walks in and say "Hi" out of a sudden. Why? Just to make sure that you're not Hannibal :P
You and the lynx have just proven that it is clearly a cultural thing. 8-)
Pars-pro-toto isn't my forte, and my EQ isn't good enough :wink:
"Budget Expat"

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 4:58 pm

sabaisabai wrote:Singapore is safe? That is the biggest joke I've heard. Almost every other person on the street wants to bite each other's head off. Look at the way they treat (and look) at each other, with pure coldness and malice. Look at the way they squabble and try to do each other in all the time just so they can feel better. Check out parliaments in East Asia, the Taiwanese and Koreans fight in parliament all the time much less on the streets. They don't fight in the Chinese/North Korean Parliament because it is a dictatorship like Singapore but people treat each other the same way, like dirt.

They generally resort to violence and fighting for everything. You cannot have different opinions and sit down as friends and talk over beer. To the Asians, it means you are their enemy and must be beaten up, or stabbed in the back etc.

Try walking up to any Singaproean and saying 'hi how are ya'. They are so selfish and bitter they just look at you like a rapist. Because in their minds, and culture, they are thinking, why would another person say hi to them without wanting anything (money etc) in return?
It's irrelevant as apparently not much of this (if existing in such extent as you suggest) turns into any form of physical violence or other types of crime. Your theory about the police sweeping such things under the carped can be easily disprove in this case as this is a survey made by Tripadvisor based on the tourists opinion so has nothing to do with the statistics.

sabaisabai

Post by sabaisabai » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 5:08 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Awwwwww, don't be so hard on the new guy, he's definitely got a problem but I think he's inherited it.....

Maybe I should get out the ole fishin' pole......

From page 112 of the 'Asian Book Of Manners'....

When faced with an opinion you don't like:

1. Attack the person not the opinion
2. Ignore reality and reason. Just 'win' because the chips on your shoulders tell you to do so.
3. Insult his/her age (reverse ageism) and call him/her a little boy/girl as rudely as possible.
4. Deliberately walk into him so he moves aside to show him who is superior
5. Be racist/sexist/ all the 'ists' possible. Insult his lack of education (uneducated trash)/his education (study until go crazy)/ his family/ his housing (live in HDB only stupid!)...basically try to make the person feel worthless by establishing a hierarchy.
6. Call him/her crazy (you siao la! go see IMH!)
7. Try to paint him/her in a bad light by talking bs to all his/her friends behind his back.
7. When it is time to fight, shove and punch like a 12 year old girl and immediately collapse to the ground in pain after just a punch to the chest.

:roll: :lol:
Last edited by sabaisabai on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 5:17 pm

sabaisabai wrote:Excerpt from the Asian Book Of Manners....
I really thought you're a girl, bcuz at some point in this thread I thought you're afraid to be raped. :o

refugees

Post by refugees » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 5:21 pm

Well, when i was in states or london, i will not walk on quiet street in the middle of the night alone.
In Italy/Spain & France, i need to keep a lookout for gypsies and pickpocket.
In KL, i was worry about motorcycle snatch thief.

Only countries i feel safe are SG/HK & Japan.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 5:24 pm

sabaisabai wrote: 1. Attack the person not the opinion
Your opinions are so extreme that apparently some people, including myself, see a possible link between what/how you perceive the reality and your personality or some other personal factors. Still this has nothing to do with a personal attack. Sad to say but you seem to have troubles distinguishing the causes from the effects. You automatically assumes effect based on possible causes even with no evident link to the effects. The above and the whole safety point being the clear examples.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 6:02 pm

refugees wrote:Well, when i was in states or london, i will not walk on quiet street in the middle of the night alone.

South Korea, UAE, Qatar, Luxembourg

sabaisabai

Post by sabaisabai » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 7:29 pm

refugees wrote:Well, when i was in states or london, i will not walk on quiet street in the middle of the night alone.

In States and Europe no good la, racist one, not safe. Go for 5D4N must travel coach bus la else get robbed.

Singapore the best la. Safest and all the people so polite and nice. Not really la we all know they Kiasu! But 1 SGD = 2.4 MYR. No buimiputera policy, all Chinese, of course good place la! Got Chinese more is good, own kind look after own kind. So every other job ad is say 'Mandarin-speaking preferred'! Chinese number 1 in world now, can go space already!

Wah like that also can!? Good woh! 8-)
Last edited by sabaisabai on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sabaisabai

Post by sabaisabai » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 7:52 pm

x9200 wrote:
sabaisabai wrote: 1. Attack the person not the opinion
Your opinions are so extreme that apparently some people, including myself, see a possible link between what/how you perceive the reality and your personality or some other personal factors. Still this has nothing to do with a personal attack. Sad to say but you seem to have troubles distinguishing the causes from the effects. You automatically assumes effect based on possible causes even with no evident link to the effects. The above and the whole safety point being the clear examples.
I truly can't think of a single Western expatriate who truly likes Singapore after spending more than a few months in the country. Even my Chinese friends can't believe how nasty the locals are.

They treat human beings like dirt and ill treat everyone they can lay their hands on, particularly the maids and workers from South Asia who are worked to the bone daily and face inhumane torture.

Walk into the MRT and look at all these loonies pretending to play with their phones so as to avoid interacting with other people. Just look at the selfishness and evilness in their eyes.

My mate who has only been here two weeks was asking 'are these really human beings?'.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 8:06 pm

sabaisabai, true and vast majority on this board have their objections and disliking (again including myself) but you seem truly extreme.
What we observe with majority of the "Westerners" is the initial fascination that last up to 2y (we call it here a honeymoon period) and later the fatigue factor start to take control over positive emotions.

I am annoyed dozens of times a day with the local culture and people representing it but you are like boiling with hatred. Behind these annoyances I still can see positives also in the people. One is exactly contrary to your perception - for me they are much more peaceful in acting than any Western society I have lived in.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 9:36 pm

If there wasn't a reasonably good side to them and the country there is no damned way I'd have lasted 3 years here, let alone the 3 decades+ that I've been here. Some of them are excellent. In fact, I've been married to one for over 29 years.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sabaisabai

Post by sabaisabai » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 9:43 pm

x9200 wrote: One is exactly contrary to your perception - for me they are much more peaceful in acting than any Western society I have lived in.
You are clearly not a Westerer. Like Sergei and v4jr4.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 9:45 pm

See, assumptions are dangerous. You have no idea how wrong you are. Not too bad, 2 out of 3 wrong. :roll: