Singapore Expats Forum

Faces on right panel --->

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Faces on right panel --->

Postby the lynx » Wed, 12 Dec 2012 2:19 pm

Not sure if I find it amusing or annoying to have faces rolling in on the right panel from the Dating & Friends section.

Some of them are really attractive though, both male and female.

If you guys have the same sets of faces rolling in, the funniest/most interesting face for me, it would be the girl posing with a duckface, lips in between her V-sign. :-| :P :lol:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34259
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 12 Dec 2012 2:52 pm

Oddly enough, thanks to your comment, it's the first time I've actually looked at them. I can understand why they are on a dating site though. :-|

I keep my browser window just open wide enough to see the forum panel normally.

User avatar
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2012
Location: Chocolate Factory

Postby v4jr4 » Wed, 12 Dec 2012 2:59 pm

Well, for me, I thought XZibit is in the list (check the ID YoshiMac) :P
"Budget Expat"

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Wed, 12 Dec 2012 3:28 pm

v4jr4 wrote:Well, for me, I thought XZibit is in the list (check the ID YoshiMac) :P


I've already seen Singaporean versions of the following:

* Indian SnoopDogg/Lion/Whatever he is called now
* Chinese Gary Sinise (the American accent was dead-on though)
* Indian Neil DeGrasse-Tyson

User avatar
Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 683
Joined: Fri, 26 May 2006
Location: Darkest Telok Blangah
Contact:

Postby Addadude » Wed, 12 Dec 2012 4:46 pm

It's really an online slot machine game. If you keep reloading the page, you might get all images to feature the same face - and then you'll win a prize. I managed to get SMS' mugshot 3 times! I won a free pest control visit.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34259
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 12 Dec 2012 5:26 pm

:tongue: :lol:

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 12 Dec 2012 7:06 pm

Addadude wrote:It's really an online slot machine game. If you keep reloading the page, you might get all images to feature the same face - and then you'll win a prize. I managed to get SMS' mugshot 3 times! I won a free pest control visit.


Bwahahaha.... :cool:

re: the ads/pics, I don't find any of them attractive. Funnily enough though I did try online dating for a month or so er... maybe 10 years ago. Let's just say the disparity between posted photos and what you subsequently get to meet in the flesh can be pretty stunning. Sometimes you really doubt they are even the same people.

My conclusion on it though was it is impossible to make a judgement based upon a pic/bio. For example people you think look and sound great and you have lots in common with, you might decide in 5 seconds of meeting them it's a total waste of time. At which point the nice dinner you've made a reservation for looms very heavily indeed!

Still, loadsa bonking though... but that's another story... :wink:

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 13 Dec 2012 10:21 am

Are these even real people? Most of these sites in the US have the same fake stock photos, and then they use IP Geolocation to say they're near you. "These pornstar/supermodels are online RIGHT NOW within 25 miles you in East Bumf-ckistan!!"

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Postby BillyB » Thu, 13 Dec 2012 10:51 am

JR8 wrote:
Addadude wrote:It's really an online slot machine game. If you keep reloading the page, you might get all images to feature the same face - and then you'll win a prize. I managed to get SMS' mugshot 3 times! I won a free pest control visit.


Bwahahaha.... :cool:

re: the ads/pics, I don't find any of them attractive. Funnily enough though I did try online dating for a month or so er... maybe 10 years ago. Let's just say the disparity between posted photos and what you subsequently get to meet in the flesh can be pretty stunning. Sometimes you really doubt they are even the same people.

My conclusion on it though was it is impossible to make a judgement based upon a pic/bio. For example people you think look and sound great and you have lots in common with, you might decide in 5 seconds of meeting them it's a total waste of time. At which point the nice dinner you've made a reservation for looms very heavily indeed!

Still, loadsa bonking though... but that's another story... :wink:


Bit of a tangent, but did you come across (not literally - well maybe you did by the sounds of it) dating codewords & phrases likes watersports, chocolate fiend, nature lover etc?!

Cath C
Regular
Regular
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri, 07 Dec 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby Cath C » Thu, 13 Dec 2012 1:17 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Are these even real people? Most of these sites in the US have the same fake stock photos, and then they use IP Geolocation to say they're near you. "These pornstar/supermodels are online RIGHT NOW within 25 miles you in East Bumf-ckistan!!"


Yeah, I think Kvnthompsn is actually Eminem.

I think there are some new faces today! I will have to pay attention to these now to see how long it takes these people to find a partner and remove their photo. Lynx, how long do you think before duckface finds the man of her dreams?

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 13 Dec 2012 1:48 pm

I don't know about you guys but I just used a browser plugin to keep them images from showing up. I don't want my colleagues get the wrong idea of the sites I go to while I pretend to work.

:wink: :P :roll:

/sarcasm

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Thu, 13 Dec 2012 1:51 pm

Addadude wrote:It's really an online slot machine game. If you keep reloading the page, you might get all images to feature the same face - and then you'll win a prize. I managed to get SMS' mugshot 3 times! I won a free pest control visit.


LOL!

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 13 Dec 2012 6:39 pm

BillyB wrote:Bit of a tangent, but did you come across (not literally - well maybe you did by the sounds of it) dating codewords & phrases likes watersports, chocolate fiend, nature lover etc?!


Top o' the morning Bunter! (I would say top-hole! but you might misunderstand me ;)).

No I can't say I did. The ads (laid out as a whole page of 'personals') were run via a service/company called Kindred Spirits, who syndicated them to the FT, and I believe one other broadsheet. I hooked up with IIRC 4 birds, one worked in banking IT, the other three were traders.

Actually one was a hedge fund manager, of Sri Lankan extraction, going by the name Candy ('My friends call me Candy because they say I'm as sweet as the sweetest chocolate cake' - yep that's really what she said lol). Anyway I don't know about sweet, we barely got out of the restaurant door and she was devouring me, I mean wiiiiild crazy woman!! [Anyway that's enough of that, another time!].

If you want to have a chuckle over pervy lonely hearts ads take a look at New York's Village Voice paper. OMG! Once you get the hang of decoding the abbreviations many of the ads are far far out - I mean stuff you'd never even thought people would want to do to each other! :)

Ads in Private Eye are also funny, but in a totally different way. Advertisers vie to demonstrate their erudition and razor sharp wit, as well as describe themselves. They also tend towards brutal honestly and self-deprecation. Worth reading them just for the wit and ingenuity alone.

User avatar
carteki
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1237
Joined: Mon, 28 Apr 2008
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby carteki » Sun, 16 Dec 2012 11:48 am

nakatago wrote:I don't know about you guys but I just used a browser plugin to keep them images from showing up. I don't want my colleagues get the wrong idea of the sites I go to while I pretend to work.


Very good point - might land up driving some traffic away from the site during office hours

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

Postby Mi Amigo » Sun, 10 Mar 2013 12:24 am

I'm sure we're not supposed to make fun of the dating pics, but have you seen the geezer called icevanhell? :mrgreen: That's more or less how I imagined that guy who publishes the dodgy ebooks about picking up women in Singapore might look. You remember him...

Richard North wrote:In Singapore, or any other East Asian country for that matter, you will need to speak plain English. Given the fast pace and nil output of art and literature in modern Asian mega-cities, poetry is unlikely to be appreciated.

Beyond these womens' ears, your hygiene and dress sense must be impeccable, nasal hair must be trimmed, BUT standard Western flirting rules can be applied in terms of applying aftershave, lightly touching arms, and inviting a woman to dine.

With humour, ambition, interesting tales from the West, and an open wallet, you may get to date a neighbourhood woman living in a HDB. If your hair is black or brown, this helps. Singaporean women like a man who does not look European/American in her neighbourhood.

The latter is because mixed-race couples receive many glances and stares if the man is overwhelmingly black or white as opposed to Oriental. Brown/black hair and a light tan thus helps your blending in.
Be careful what you wish for


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Leisure Chat, Jokes, Rubbish”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests