Singapore Expats

Are Singapore salaries based on one's country of citizenship

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Re: Are Singapore salaries based on one's country of citizenship

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 03 Apr 2017 10:42 am

clariceboecker wrote:I would like to say that it's generally quite fair, and I'm not sure how so many others face discrimination. It's one of the most equal countries to me personally.
and what evidence do you have to support that fact when nearly everyone in this thread is stating the contrary?
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Apr 2017 5:26 pm

clariceboecker wrote:I would like to say that it's generally quite fair, and I'm not sure how so many others face discrimination. It's one of the most equal countries to me personally.
As a former headhunter and an HR Mgr, I beg to differ with you. There is rampant discrimination. Even when it come down to Work Permits, there is discrimination among the 3rd world countries as well, not all are considered equal.

Can I have some of what you are smoking? :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Are Singapore salaries based on one's country of citizenship

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 03 Apr 2017 9:53 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: As a former headhunter and an HR Mgr, I beg to differ with you. There is rampant discrimination. Even when it come down to Work Permits, there is discrimination among the 3rd world countries as well, not all are considered equal.

Can I have some of what you are smoking? :cool:
having been with a 'few' employers, almost all except a rare minority benchmarked salary based on the person's passport, than talent ...

Example (no offence to Filipinos .. ) when I was trying to negotiate on behalf of a Filipino - HR of a company was direct - that salary is a lot less for Filipino candidates ... vs others ..

Need I say more ?

PS, fixed the typo ....

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Tue, 04 Apr 2017 11:07 am

Likely depends a lot on the industry segment and company size.

MNCs tend to standardize their salaries more and HR would never let someone say 'let's go hire an Philippino cause we can pay them less'....

SME's in general pay less then the MNCs (or that is my general impression anyways). I think your more likely to find western expats working for large MNCs then local SMEs. But I could be wrong.

We made an offer to a Singaporean about 18 months ago that would have given her an 67% pay raise compared to her job at Singtel (in-line with our MNC salary bands). She turned it down because she really liked her boss at Singtel.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 04 Apr 2017 5:07 pm

brian_singapore wrote:Likely depends a lot on the industry segment and company size.

MNCs tend to standardize their salaries more and HR would never let someone say 'let's go hire an Philippino cause we can pay them less'....

SME's in general pay less then the MNCs (or that is my general impression anyways). I think your more likely to find western expats working for large MNCs then local SMEs. But I could be wrong.
a lot of SMEs hire foreigners and that's where the massive pay difference is seen ...

When it comes to MNCs, again, those local home grown large businesses are not the same as foreign MNCs ...

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Tue, 04 Apr 2017 5:14 pm

ecureilx wrote:
brian_singapore wrote:Likely depends a lot on the industry segment and company size.

a lot of SMEs hire foreigners and that's where the massive pay difference is seen ...

When it comes to MNCs, again, those local home grown large businesses are not the same as foreign MNCs ...
True, I would be referring to foreign MNCs, no experience with local MNCs.