Singapore Expats Forum

Alcoholic Drinks - Personal Preference

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9166
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Tue, 11 Dec 2012 5:17 pm

v4jr4 wrote:
JR8 wrote:Well you do get hot mulled wine, a spiced wine drink, aka gluhwein in Germany. But the trouble is that the heat evaporates off the alcohol rather defeating the object. The solution to that of course is adding a shot (or+) of rum or similar to the mug right at the point of serving. Phooo-ee the fumes sure as heck wake you up! :-D Rather like a hot flask of sake after a day out skiing... ker-wham! :)


Compared to Jagermeister or maybe Long Island Iced Tea? :mrgreen:

Jagermeister is bitter and normally you don't want to drink it as a drink. Gluhwein also contains some herbs (typically cloves, sometimes a bit of cinnamon) and it's sweet. You can buy it from time to time in Ikea. It is a bit lighter than the German version but falls into the same category. Drinking it in Singapore is no fun. You need a cold weather. In Europe you can buy it from a street stall and you drink it warm.

User avatar
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2012
Location: Chocolate Factory

Postby v4jr4 » Tue, 11 Dec 2012 5:26 pm

the lynx wrote:
v4jr4 wrote:Somehow, I remember alcohol soaked with centipede or scorpion. My friend said it's drinkable, but . . . euh :-|


I've tried the one with snake in Vietnam. Rice wine. Still as fiery but I can't remember what else that could've make this snake wine special (the rice wine was so strong that it blurred my taste buds).


I'm not even sure if they remove the poison. Some articles said that it's still in.

JR8 wrote:Jagermeister (‘Hunter-master’) is a herb-based drink that kids these days abuse to get whacked (don’t get me wrong I’ve done it too). But IME it’s not nice, you do it in shots, as a chaser on beers. It’s like, what’s that stuff.... Benedictine? ... no thanks. Maybe as a small glass after dinner as a digestif*... otherwise no way recreationally.


Wow. I saw a couple of bottles displayed in ION (I guess it's a new shop). Never tried that before, but let's see if I can pick one or two (especially for sake in carton).
"Budget Expat"

User avatar
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2012
Location: Chocolate Factory

Postby v4jr4 » Tue, 11 Dec 2012 5:32 pm

x9200 wrote:Jagermeister is bitter and normally you don't want to drink it as a drink. Gluhwein also contains some herbs (typically cloves, sometimes a bit of cinnamon) and it's sweet. You can buy it from time to time in Ikea. It is a bit lighter than the German version but falls into the same category. Drinking it in Singapore is no fun. You need a cold weather. In Europe you can buy it from a street stall and you drink it warm.


IKEA? I didn't check the food and beverage section. But I can remember some of my friends only bought beers.
"Budget Expat"

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 11 Dec 2012 6:13 pm

SMS - I don't know what bit is about Mekhong. One time I was told it contained amphetamines but I don't believe that. Perhaps it is more likely that it is just 'rough brewed and distilled', a sort of genuine hooch.

Lynx - VNese snake rum. One time there my guide explained to me in no uncertain terms that men drink it to '... [banging fist loudly on table] Make hard!'. (No I'm not making this up!)

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9166
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Tue, 11 Dec 2012 7:46 pm

JR8 wrote:I can understand it, but.... how about going to Carrefour or wha’ever getting something like a Duvel, chilling it down, and then pouring it and drinking it... just like it was a glass of wine before dinner.

Surprisingly you can buy Duvel pretty everywhere around but I seldom see anybody buying it or drinking in pubs. Proper Duvel glass ads to the pleasure.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9166
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Tue, 11 Dec 2012 7:49 pm

v4jr4 wrote:
x9200 wrote:Jagermeister is bitter and normally you don't want to drink it as a drink. Gluhwein also contains some herbs (typically cloves, sometimes a bit of cinnamon) and it's sweet. You can buy it from time to time in Ikea. It is a bit lighter than the German version but falls into the same category. Drinking it in Singapore is no fun. You need a cold weather. In Europe you can buy it from a street stall and you drink it warm.


IKEA? I didn't check the food and beverage section. But I can remember some of my friends only bought beers.

They also sell or used to Swedish vodka.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 11 Dec 2012 8:53 pm

x9200 wrote:Surprisingly you can buy Duvel pretty everywhere around but I seldom see anybody buying it or drinking in pubs. Proper Duvel glass ads to the pleasure.


The other real treat is Chimay. When you drink beers like that you realise how pedestrian, how bastardised, most retail beer is [anyone care for an Anchor?].

I agree that you can make a case that in the tropics most people probably don't want to get stuck into an 8% beer, as it could be argued that the taste is not as refreshing as something lighter (example: Heineken).

That said, in some cultures (Scandinavia) beer is drunk together with a meal in place of wine.

p.s. What would a Duvel/Chimay cost in an SG pub? I cringe at the thought!

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9166
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Tue, 11 Dec 2012 10:49 pm

I am not sure. I always get it from CS (~$S8 per standard 330cl). Chimay could be also found in CS but not always and not all the 3 colors. I don't recall seeing the yellow/golden one. On the other hand I know some places where you can or could buy Chimay Blau in the 750cl corked bottles.
8% is fine, especially for Duvel with its wheat-like appearance and taste (to some extend). I would be very interested to know where in Singapore they serve draught Duvel. Most popular Belgian ones served from the tap I have seen so far were Hoegarden (the plain kind) and Leffe Blonde.

User avatar
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2012
Location: Chocolate Factory

Postby v4jr4 » Tue, 11 Dec 2012 10:53 pm

JR8 wrote:I agree that you can make a case that in the tropics most people probably don't want to get stuck into an 8% beer, as it could be argued that the taste is not as refreshing as something lighter (example: Heineken).


Most people that I know stuck with either Heineken, Tiger, or even TsingTao. Well, it's easy to find, especially around HDB :lol:

JR8 wrote:anyone care for an Anchor?


Is it the same as the misspelled version "Anker"? :P
"Budget Expat"

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 11 Dec 2012 11:04 pm

Hoegarden and Leffe are the 'big ones' you'll find on tap (draft) in the UK too. But they're $$$ and pubs must make a heck of a margin on them. In London you'd pay £3 for a pint of Stella (brewed under license swill), but £4 for a Leffe, and that was *at least* five years ago.

I have friends who will drink nothing on draft, as they consider their palette a 'higher realm' than the capabilities of any bar-staff in the periodic cleaning out required by a draft beers' cellar > bar-top plumbing.

If you gimme a tick I have a pic for you...

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 11 Dec 2012 11:18 pm

Image

Czech Budweiser, this week.... mmm!

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Wed, 12 Dec 2012 12:11 pm

the lynx wrote:
v4jr4 wrote:Somehow, I remember alcohol soaked with centipede or scorpion. My friend said it's drinkable, but . . . euh :-|


I've tried the one with snake in Vietnam. Rice wine. Still as fiery but I can't remember what else that could've make this snake wine special (the rice wine was so strong that it blurred my taste buds).


I've had this a few times and can't tell it apart from homemade rice wine without a reptile in it.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9166
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Wed, 12 Dec 2012 12:13 pm

JR8 wrote:Czech Budweiser, this week.... mmm!


Try some Polish beers while you still in Europe and have opportunity. Majority of pale lagers are pretty good:

Zywiec is a classic:
Image
Tyskie, Okocim, Lech, Warka...
Image
Image
Okocim Wheatbeer (Przeniczne) (yellow label) is very good.
There are plenty of more heavy ones too but they are less safe (2-3 may kick you down and guaranty an unforgettable hangover for the rest of next day :)

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 12 Dec 2012 5:55 pm

x9200 wrote:
JR8 wrote:Czech Budweiser, this week.... mmm!


Try some Polish beers while you still in Europe and have opportunity. Majority of pale lagers are pretty good:

Zywiec is a classic:
-
Tyskie, Okocim, Lech, Warka...
-
Okocim Wheatbeer (Przeniczne) (yellow label) is very good.
There are plenty of more heavy ones too but they are less safe (2-3 may kick you down and guaranty an unforgettable hangover for the rest of next day :)


I think Tyskie is maybe the only one I have had. Where I am currently based, I think it's fair to say they are so proud of their own beers that they don't import much at all. Shame. I do know of one specialist beer shop not so far away. Next time the snow clears I'll hobble down that way and see what I can find!

taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3150
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Postby taxico » Sat, 15 Dec 2012 3:25 pm

a good scotch, or a few of these

Image
the drink, not the guy.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
  • Personal trainer
    by Maples » Thu, 13 Sep 2012 10:15 pm » in Staying, Living in Singapore
    2
    2077
    by wannamove View the latest post
    Fri, 14 Sep 2012 10:03 am
  • Personal Electronic Products
    by nytol15 » Thu, 22 Nov 2012 7:40 pm » in General Discussions
    3
    3369
    by durain View the latest post
    Fri, 23 Nov 2012 10:17 pm
  • Paypal stops Personal Payment service in SG
    by iamsen » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 4:58 pm » in Staying, Living in Singapore
    1
    1167
    by sundaymorningstaple View the latest post
    Wed, 20 Feb 2013 5:41 pm
  • Personal Banking Options
    by Remo909 » Fri, 22 Feb 2013 3:51 pm » in Credit Card & Banking in Singapore
    12
    4414
    by zzm9980 View the latest post
    Mon, 04 Mar 2013 7:43 pm
  • Personal Loan to Director/Shareholder (Exempt PTE LTD)
    by nimblynimb » Wed, 08 May 2013 10:40 pm » in Business in Singapore
    8
    8868
    by Strong Eagle View the latest post
    Mon, 04 Nov 2013 10:41 pm

Return to “Leisure Chat, Jokes, Rubbish”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests