Singapore Expats

rental apartment lease

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
ginololoya

rental apartment lease

Post by ginololoya » Thu, 06 Dec 2012 11:46 am

Land lord is not returning deposit paid. Is charging lost rent for days after unit was vacated. Handover Statement was signed but now he holds deposit for items that were NOT in the Signed Handover Statement.
gino

Search By

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Re: rental apartment lease

Post by offshoreoildude » Thu, 06 Dec 2012 11:57 am

ginololoya wrote:Land lord is not returning deposit paid. Is charging lost rent for days after unit was vacated. Handover Statement was signed but now he holds deposit for items that were NOT in the Signed Handover Statement.
That's why I never pay the last months rent (even though that is 'illegal'). Sounds like a small court claim action to me.
Now I'm called PNGMK

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Thu, 06 Dec 2012 3:24 pm

ginololoya wrote:Land lord is not returning deposit paid. Is charging lost rent for days after unit was vacated. Handover Statement was signed but now he holds deposit for items that were NOT in the Signed Handover Statement.

A few landlords try something but are, in actual fact, cowards. It is usually the ones that do try something that are the most feable minded. Shout loud enough, threaten Small Claims Court, show you mean business and they whimper away like a dog with its tail between its legs.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 06 Dec 2012 6:15 pm

Write them a letter or e-mail (with read-receipt), and in a clear and cool-headed way lay out your complaint. My benchmark is to imagine my having to read it out in evidence in court - you want it so clear and yet concise (AND unemotional) that there is simply no doubt about your argument.

Tell them that they have x days to return $y of your deposit (this might be all or some of it (as agreed)), and by what means. 28 days is typically considered 'reasonable'.

Then tell them what your intended course of action is if they fail to comply.

If that fails to elicit the required response, go to the SCT website
http://app2.subcourts.gov.sg/sct/index.aspx/

Print out the claims document and complete key details. Leave 'Summary of claim' blank for the time being, and don't date it or sign it. Send a copy to the landlord and write in a covering note something like: 'With reference to my letter/e-mail dd. x/y/z, I note with regret that you have failed to return my rental deposit of $x. Kindly note that if you still have not done so by x/y/z [give them 7 days from the date of your letter] then as previously advised I will have no option but to take this matter to court.' Or, something like that...

And then, if they still won't meet their obligations, then do precisely what you have said you will. The idea of going to court is pretty terrifying, but once you have the hang of it, and if you have 'right on your side', dare I say that in retrospect it can actually be quite a rewarding experience!

p.s. Keep copies of all correspondence. And do us a favour here, please try and take a moment to let us know how you get on. Your experience could be invaluable to other people in your shoes in the future...