Singapore Expats Forum

UK HR Graduate

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

CG Simpson

UK HR Graduate

Postby CG Simpson » Thu, 06 Dec 2012 4:49 am

Hello all,

I've been reading through the past web pages and have found some absolutely wonderful /detailed material. I still had a few questions though on my own personal situation (of course).

First a few details:
I will be graduating from a respected business school in the UK with an MSc in Human Resource Management next summer and am hoping to settle/ work in Singapore for a couple of years following graduation. My work experience has largely been with part-time administrative or low level managerial positions within NGOs or non-profits. All except for this summer when I worked as a part-time market research consultant for a tech start-up.

I also speak Arabic at an intermediate level (not sure how relevant that is, but thought it might be a unique quality worth mentioning) and have experience working abroad. PS. I'm actually American, just studying in the UK at the moment.

Now the point of the post:
I would be looking to take on any HR position, though ideally it would deal either with learning and development or recruitment. I'm assuming my non-HR-focused work history may not be highly valued and that I would be entering the job market as a fresh graduate.

And the Questions:
- Are Singaporean companies or MNCs actually looking to hire in fresh talent from abroad, or would they prefer to bring in PRs/ Nationals at the start?
- If they are, what might be an expected or decent salary/ do I have any hope of meeting the 3,000 EP minimum salary let alone anything more?
- Could I come over on an S pass if I was offered something lower than the 3,000 or is that more for manual labour jobs?

Thank you so much ahead of time. This seems to be a really warm and welcoming forum, and even if I don't like what I hear/ the truth I'm so grateful for the time people take to offer a helping hand.

- Cait
- Positive thought is the wellspring of positive action -

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Dec 2012 6:49 am

Do not waste your time. Singapore doesn't need talentless foreign talent. If you are to get a position in Singapore you will need experience. With the whole country against foreign talent, unless you are bringing niche experience to the table (e.g., at least 5 to 10 years experience in a position that normally a Singaporean can fill), it's going to be virtually impossible. As an HR Manager myself, I'd have to say you would be at a great disadvantage as we have a very good tertiary institution here (SHRI) who churns out plenty of suitable graduates. Singapore wants talent (experience). Freshers/new grads are a dime a dozen and the country is bouncing people out of here with 3 to 7 years experience and even more if it now considers a position to have sufficient locals to fill it.

CG Simpson

Postby CG Simpson » Thu, 06 Dec 2012 8:40 am

Thank you for getting back so quickly.

While I wouldn't consider myself talentless, or at least without large potential to develop my talents, I certainly understand that Singapore is by no means free from the effects of economic downturn or from the demands of its people to take care of the folks at home first.

I did have a feeling this might be the case, but with so many job posts on jobdb and other sites not specifying PR or Singaporean only, and only requiring a year or so of experience, I thought it was worth looking into.

I'm quite disappointed that I'll probably have to scratch this plan then, but hopefully in a few years I can make my way back regardless and be a more welcome addition to the business community.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Dec 2012 8:51 am

That would be my best advice as well. Get at least 3 years solid "directly related", hopefully in an MNC, experience before you give it a try. Don't make the expensive mistake of running out and trying to do a Masters thinking that it will give you a leg up. (unless you want to do it part time while accumulating the "experience" needed. Degrees here are a dime a dozen as well (Masters included) as almost every employer requires a basic degree. While an employer may well want to hire you, the process here is two-part. First you have to get a job offer (This may well be the easiest part) but then the prospective employer has to apply for your Employment Pass from the Ministry of Manpower (without which you cannot work). That company ALSO has to be vetted by the MoM AND the company has to justify to the MoM WHY it needs to hire a foreigner over a surplus of locals. Unless you are bringing a lot of experience or a niche skillset to the table, in the field of HR, you are going to have a problem. Ideally, from where you are sitting, you should get yourself hired, if possible, by an MNC in the UK who has offices/plants in Singapore and then getting the company to transfer you to Singapore. While the same rules apply, often if a large MNC has a big operation in Singapore, MoM will show a little flexibility (but not too much). I don't believe in blowing smoke, so I tend to say it like it is without sugar coating so I hope you don't take offense.

There is also another route called the PEP, but you would need a current overseas salary equivalent to SGD 18,000/month just to qualify to apply (still no guarantee of success though)

Good Luck

CG Simpson

Postby CG Simpson » Thu, 06 Dec 2012 9:06 am

No offense taken at all. It's important to tell it straight, especially with something this big. There's so much information out there that is poorly consolidated, so I'm grateful for the insight you have provided.

Thank you for the advice and the quick responses once again.

And good luck with your fishing. I hope you catch something!
Cheers

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Dec 2012 9:21 am

:wink:

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Postby offshoreoildude » Thu, 06 Dec 2012 9:29 am

One route to keep in mind is to work for an MNC that has a lot of world wide locations.... there's always the possibility of an internal transfer and your skills (internal company skills and contacts) can be justifiably essential in this case for a transfer to wherever.
Now I'm called PNGMK

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Dec 2012 9:55 am

You really should read the whole thread...... :wink:

offshoreoildude wrote:One route to keep in mind is to work for an MNC that has a lot of world wide locations.... there's always the possibility of an internal transfer and your skills (internal company skills and contacts) can be justifiably essential in this case for a transfer to wherever.

sundaymorningstaple wrote: Ideally, from where you are sitting, you should get yourself hired, if possible, by an MNC in the UK who has offices/plants in Singapore and then getting the company to transfer you to Singapore. While the same rules apply, often if a large MNC has a big operation in Singapore, MoM will show a little flexibility (but not too much).

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Postby offshoreoildude » Thu, 06 Dec 2012 10:08 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You really should read the whole thread...... :wink:

offshoreoildude wrote:One route to keep in mind is to work for an MNC that has a lot of world wide locations.... there's always the possibility of an internal transfer and your skills (internal company skills and contacts) can be justifiably essential in this case for a transfer to wherever.

sundaymorningstaple wrote: Ideally, from where you are sitting, you should get yourself hired, if possible, by an MNC in the UK who has offices/plants in Singapore and then getting the company to transfer you to Singapore. While the same rules apply, often if a large MNC has a big operation in Singapore, MoM will show a little flexibility (but not too much).

The new format makes reading the entire thread too hard for an old fart like me.
Now I'm called PNGMK

Diggy

Hello

Postby Diggy » Thu, 03 Jan 2013 10:18 am

HI All,

Some really valuable thoughts in the thread.

I see we have a HR manager in this thread and thus would like to solve my query but before that I would like to share my experience.

I have just moved to Singapore. I was working in India previously. I read here that one strongly needs 3-7 years good MNC experience to bag a job in singapore or else it is practically impossible. however, my experience makes me differ to the above statement. I had just 2 years of work with a Start-up India and a graduation degree. I managed to bag a good job here and with a good salary hike too. With that, I would say that Singapore has a lot of jobs available even for foreigners, all it needs is Talent, strong desire to move here and your employer should feel that during the interview.

Now my query.

My girl friend who is in India would be looking to move to singapore anywhere in the second quarter of 2013. I just want to know from you guys what are the possibilities/opportunities she has here.

She is a Deputy Manager (HR) with a MNC in Mumbai with 2 years experience. She has also completed her MBA in HR.

I am looking forward to reading your views on this.

Thanks,
Diggy

taxico
Director
Director

Re: Hello

Postby taxico » Thu, 03 Jan 2013 12:38 pm

Diggy wrote:...however, my experience makes me differ to the above statement. I had just 2 years of work with a Start-up India and a graduation degree. I managed to bag a good job here and with a good salary hike too. With that, I would say that Singapore has a lot of jobs available even for foreigners, all it needs is Talent, strong desire to move here and your employer should feel that during the interview.

Now my query.

My girl friend who is in India would be looking to move to singapore anywhere in the second quarter of 2013. I just want to know from you guys what are the possibilities/opportunities she has here.

She is a Deputy Manager (HR) with a MNC in Mumbai with 2 years experience. She has also completed her MBA in HR...

well, smack my "graduation degree" and call me twinsy! let me paraphrase.

does your girlfriend have a "strong desire to move here" and can her potential employer "feel that during the interview?"

noskich
Regular
Regular

Re: Hello

Postby noskich » Fri, 04 Jan 2013 1:13 pm

taxico wrote:
does your girlfriend have a "strong desire to move here" and can her potential employer "feel that during the interview?"

:lol:

natasha009

Postby natasha009 » Wed, 16 Jan 2013 1:05 am

Hey Diggy,

Do share your experience of how you bagged a job in Singapore.
I am an HR professional myself, and have almost 7 years of experience in MNCs, but haven't yet been able to secure a job in Singapore. (my husband has relocated recently).

Any insights on how you landed the job, would help.

Cheers..