Singapore Expats Forum

TV channel question

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

TV channel question

Postby zzm9980 » Wed, 05 Dec 2012 3:02 pm

Sorry, not sure the best forum to put this in.

So recently while in another country, I noticed the local HBO channel (HBO Asia) had the option to get audio or subtitles in half a dozen different Asian languages. This was in a hotel though... Does local HBO (or any movie/premium channel) have this option? I only have the basic package for Singtel MIO, but the choices for that are nothing, or sometimes English/Mandarin Chinese. I'd be willing to switch providers and pay a bit if I could find something similar. Specifically looking for Vietnamese dub or sub. I already know none of the local providers have Vietnamese channels.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Wed, 05 Dec 2012 7:24 pm

Have you looked at the IPTV option? Not sure if there is a market here for vietnamese channels, but my indian friends get their indian regional language channels on IPTV.

User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3190
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Re: TV channel question

Postby taxico » Wed, 05 Dec 2012 7:39 pm

zzm9980 wrote:...So recently while in another country, I noticed the local HBO channel (HBO Asia) had the option to get audio or subtitles in half a dozen different Asian languages. This was in a hotel though... Does local HBO (or any movie/premium channel) have this option?


i don't have HBO but i've watched FOX movie channels during festive seasons (free preview) and they sometimes have one other asian language. it's in mandarin if i remember correctly. already CC'ed in chinese, those movies are...

i have seen the fox advertisements stating that dual sound available in certain territories (specifically bahasa indonesia and malaysia). i'm on starhub and i think you need a digital set-top box for that function.

doubt you're gonna find vietnamese language on local cable.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Wed, 05 Dec 2012 10:06 pm

Wd40 wrote:Have you looked at the IPTV option? Not sure if there is a market here for vietnamese channels, but my indian friends get their indian regional language channels on IPTV.


Yes, I have MIO which is IPTV. Lots of Indian options, no Vietnamese options. I know Vietnamese networks are generally available by Satellite, but we know how that works in Singapore...

Besides, hoping to watch actual HBO movies with the dubbing. I know it exists, I had the option at hotels in KL and JKT just this month. Not sure if it is available in Singapore though.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Re: TV channel question

Postby zzm9980 » Wed, 05 Dec 2012 10:07 pm

taxico wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:...So recently while in another country, I noticed the local HBO channel (HBO Asia) had the option to get audio or subtitles in half a dozen different Asian languages. This was in a hotel though... Does local HBO (or any movie/premium channel) have this option?


i don't have HBO but i've watched FOX movie channels during festive seasons (free preview) and they sometimes have one other asian language. it's in mandarin if i remember correctly. already CC'ed in chinese, those movies are...

i have seen the fox advertisements stating that dual sound available in certain territories (specifically bahasa indonesia and malaysia). i'm on starhub and i think you need a digital set-top box for that function.

doubt you're gonna find vietnamese language on local cable.


Thanks, looks like MIO is the only network which would support it, and you're right. They only seem to have Malaysian or Chinese.

User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3190
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Postby taxico » Wed, 05 Dec 2012 10:32 pm

zzm9980 wrote:...I know Vietnamese networks are generally available by Satellite, but we know how that works in Singapore...


okay, let's pretend i know a guy that has a decidedly similar problem as you do. this guy lives in a small city state that is not singapore and maybe he did the following:

he drove in to the neighboring city is not territorially part of the same country and bought, with a one time payment of not more than $750, from a chinese man (from china) a small collapsible contraption that is not a satellite dish (about 5 feet in diameter i think), and a box that is not a satellite set top box.

he then returns to the small city state with the items and a guarantee from the chinese man that he will get new delicious visual content that is not satellite TV for least one year, and gets successfully hooked up after 2-3 days with some trial and error (on how to locate the dish).

alls i'm sayins let's pretend i know a guy that probably did not do what i said he did.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Thu, 06 Dec 2012 8:37 am

taxico wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:...I know Vietnamese networks are generally available by Satellite, but we know how that works in Singapore...


okay, let's pretend i know a guy that has a decidedly similar problem as you do. this guy lives in a small city state that is not singapore and maybe he did the following:

he drove in to the neighboring city is not territorially part of the same country and bought, with a one time payment of not more than $750, from a chinese man (from china) a small collapsible contraption that is not a satellite dish (about 5 feet in diameter i think), and a box that is not a satellite set top box.

he then returns to the small city state with the items and a guarantee from the chinese man that he will get new delicious visual content that is not satellite TV for least one year, and gets successfully hooked up after 2-3 days with some trial and error (on how to locate the dish).

alls i'm sayins let's pretend i know a guy that probably did not do what i said he did.


And let's pretend that what I'm gonna say may be applicable in Singapore.

In Sabah and Sarawak, where they probably have way more immigrants that all cities in Peninsula combined, the people buy contrations of various shapes and sizes to enable them to tap into Filipino, Singapore, Indonesian, Vietnamese, and even Taiwanese channels. All it takes is some tinkering and a game of hide-and-seek and voila, endless 'local' entertainment.

Not sure if it is applicable here.
Last edited by the lynx on Thu, 06 Dec 2012 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Dec 2012 9:12 am

I haven't been able to find out the fine for having a private receiver, collapsible or otherwise, but it is definitely illegal unless you are a major hotel (possible) or an Embassy or Consulate. And believe me, there are enough spiteful "Stompers" in Singapore who would take a photo of any appearance of a unit or even a large "wok" in a peculiar position (apparently been tried as well as a disguise).

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 06 Dec 2012 9:13 am

Does said contraption need line of site to the sky? Which direction? Where would someone put said contraption in a rented 3 room HDB? Or would one need a landed house with roof/yard to feasible use such a fantasy device?

Not that I'd consider anything like said contraption, but I do have great wide open views in two and a half directions... I was even able to see ISS go by last night.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Dec 2012 9:17 am

As an afterthought, would a slingbox setup work in VN?

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 06 Dec 2012 9:38 am

zzm9980 wrote:Does said contraption need line of site to the sky? Which direction? Where would someone put said contraption in a rented 3 room HDB? Or would one need a landed house with roof/yard to feasible use such a fantasy device?

Not that I'd consider anything like said contraption, but I do have great wide open views in two and a half directions... I was even able to see ISS go by last night.


Said contraptions are most probably some combination of antennae and boosters and all other permutations.

User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3190
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Postby taxico » Thu, 06 Dec 2012 10:03 am

zzm9980 wrote:Does said contraption need line of site to the sky? Which direction?


the short answer is yes. the thing is placed in his tiny condo balcony, pointed towards the neighboring country (i think) and covered when not in use to protect from elements...

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 06 Dec 2012 10:04 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:As an afterthought, would a slingbox setup work in VN?


I've thought about it. The problem is you need a dedicated TV+Receiver to connect it to, or you're tied to watching whatever they're watching. Probably more hassle than what we do now, which is to watch it on one of the numerous flash-based streaming sites (like this: http://www.vtc.com.vn/ Even looks legit, right? :P), then use an AppleTV to redirect the display to a TV. You don't get the premium channels though...

Really, I don't want to both with the illegalities of a 'contraption'. Especially being an Ang Moh. I was just hoping for a legitimate way to get those premium channels that the hotels have. Apparently not happening.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 06 Dec 2012 10:05 am

nakatago wrote:Said contraptions are most probably some combination of antennae and boosters and all other permutations.


I just assumed the 18" dish liek those used in the US.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 06 Dec 2012 10:16 am

zzm9980 wrote:
nakatago wrote:Said contraptions are most probably some combination of antennae and boosters and all other permutations.


I just assumed the 18" dish liek those used in the US.


IIRC, those things are illegal here for us ordinary mooks.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests