Singapore Expats

Cycling in Singapores Industrial Areas ..........

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Cycling in Singapores Industrial Areas ..........

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:54 am

How are there not multiple deaths everyday??

I work in Loyang Industrial Estate and the crazy stuff I see when its shift changeover time, I am staggered there are not 5 or 6 killed everyday.

No lights on bike, wearing dark colours and riding the wrong way up the road?

Last night I had my breath taken away!!

it was raining so obviously it was one handed holding the brolly riding.

One girl I am assuming from China was riding on the wrong side of the road into the oncoming traffic. The bus pulled up at the bus stop opposite so she couldnt get kerb side, so instead , bear in mind she had the brolly in front of her face to shield the rain, she proceeded to come around the bus on the wrong side of the road without looking nor being able to see!!

Any other vehicle coming and she would have got smashed into the middle of next week!!!
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Tue, 04 Dec 2012 12:42 pm

Darwinism is not necessarily a Bad Thing

kikeo

Post by kikeo » Tue, 18 Dec 2012 2:20 pm

Yeah I saw stuff like that around the Sembawang shipyards too.
It's really crazy.

This and the caucasian expats training / race-cycling at peak hour around Jurong. I really don't get how fun/healthy it could be to fill your lungs full with engine exhaust. And it's really annoying when you're driving to work.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Dec 2012 4:57 pm

kikeo wrote:Yeah I saw stuff like that around the Sembawang shipyards too.
It's really crazy.

This and the caucasian expats training / race-cycling at peak hour around Jurong. I really don't get how fun/healthy it could be to fill your lungs full with engine exhaust. And it's really annoying when you're driving to work.
What I find annoying when driving to work are local drivers aiming their cars.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Tue, 18 Dec 2012 5:18 pm

I cycled all over Singapore for years and am still alive - in fact I had a lower accident rate here than in Europe (where the drivers are just as arrogant, but less afraid of damages to their cars).
In addition, numerous studies have shown that the concentration of pollutants inside a car is higher than in the air a cyclist breathes - my non-scientific explanation for this is that a cyclist's nose is further from the car tailpipes than the air inlets of the car behind.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Dec 2012 5:24 pm

Beppi, I'm inclined to agree with you. I've been cycling for nigh on 30 years here and have only been knocked down 3 times. Nothing real serious, though I was knocked down by an SBS bus on two occasions (actually more like shoved off the side of the road into the kerb) and once by a 280 Merc driven by a 70 years old coot. On the other hand, there is no way you would get me on a racing style bike here what with the crappy streets and those skinny tires. I like my mountain bike.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers