Singapore Expats Forum

Hello! U.S. Software Engineer

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

hessinger

Hello! U.S. Software Engineer

Postby hessinger » Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:34 am

Hello All,

I've been lurking on some of these expat forums for a while and what I read is pretty discouraging for finding a job in Singapore.

I am American software developer with 5+ years experience in writing Web Applications in ASP.NET, MSSQL, Front-end technologies and writing enterprise Java applications. I also have a B.S. in Computer Science and Mathematics. Currently, I travel all over the world for business but recently decided I wanted to try pursuing work in Singapore after having spent time there on and off. I am well aware that I would likely be working for subpar wages compared to what I would make in the United States but am not worried about that fact.

From my perspective after looking at job listings, it seems that most openings are not available to non-PR/Citizens. I have not tried any recruiting agencies yet.

Right now, I would be open to trying the direct approach and spending time out there seeking work.

If anyone could suggest some ideas or recruiters. Or at this point would it be very difficult to find work at all?

nakatago

Re: Hello! U.S. Software Engineer

Postby nakatago » Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:39 am

hessinger wrote:Hello All,

I've been lurking on some of these expat forums for a while and what I read is pretty discouraging for finding a job in Singapore.

I am American software developer with 5+ years experience in writing Web Applications in ASP.NET, MSSQL, Front-end technologies and writing enterprise Java applications. I also have a B.S. in Computer Science and Mathematics. Currently, I travel all over the world for business but recently decided I wanted to try pursuing work in Singapore after having spent time there on and off. I am well aware that I would likely be working for subpar wages compared to what I would make in the United States but am not worried about that fact.

From my perspective after looking at job listings, it seems that most openings are not available to non-PR/Citizens. I have not tried any recruiting agencies yet.

Right now, I would be open to trying the direct approach and spending time out there seeking work.

If anyone could suggest some ideas or recruiters. Or at this point would it be very difficult to find work at all?

* You'll be competing with locals and PR's. Their applications are easier to process because hiring them doesn't require approval of MOM+ICA.
* You'll be competing with code monkeys from neighboring countries who are paid much less than what people from western countries are accustomed to and hence employers who can still get foreigners automatically opt for them instead of looking for westerners willing to take a pay cut.
* Singapore is really reducing the number of foreigners in the country.

hessinger

Re: Hello! U.S. Software Engineer

Postby hessinger » Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:42 am

nakatago wrote:
hessinger wrote:Hello All,

* You'll be competing with locals and PR's. Their applications are easier to process because hiring them doesn't require approval of MOM+ICA.
* You'll be competing with code monkeys from neighboring countries who are paid much less than what people from western countries are accustomed to and hence employers who can still get foreigners automatically opt for them instead of looking for westerners willing to take a pay cut.
* Singapore is really reducing the number of foreigners in the country.

So I take it, pretty much impossible at this point.

Wd40
Director
Director

Postby Wd40 » Tue, 04 Dec 2012 11:05 am

Well, if you see IT openings in Singapore, they most likely go to foreigners as locals can't do it. So you need to check the job sites and see if there are openings, if there are then you should be able to compete.

All that nakatago has said is true, but getting a job in itself isn't impossible.

hessinger

Postby hessinger » Tue, 04 Dec 2012 11:07 am

Wd40 wrote:Well, if you see IT openings in Singapore, they most likely go to foreigners as locals can't do it. So you need to check the job sites and see if there are openings, if there are then you should be able to compete.

All that nakatago has said is true, but getting a job in itself isn't impossible.

Will being in Singapore help any or am I better off looking from my current location?

Wd40
Director
Director

Postby Wd40 » Tue, 04 Dec 2012 11:15 am

hessinger wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Well, if you see IT openings in Singapore, they most likely go to foreigners as locals can't do it. So you need to check the job sites and see if there are openings, if there are then you should be able to compete.

Will being in Singapore help any or am I better off looking from my current location?

Being in Singapore should help comparitvely speaking. But you should be aware that you may remain jobless here for a few months so do evaluate it carefully.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Postby Sergei82 » Tue, 04 Dec 2012 1:05 pm

1) Plenty of jobs for IT in Singapore despite recession
2) The advantage of being physically in Singapore is dubious
3) If you get a job, you have a higher-than-before likelihood that Ministry of Manpower will not let you work in Singapore - look for higher salary to minimize that likelihood

hessinger

Postby hessinger » Tue, 04 Dec 2012 1:08 pm

Sergei82 wrote:3) If you get a job, you have a higher-than-before likelihood that Ministry of Manpower will not let you work in Singapore - look for higher salary to minimize that likelihood

Is the salary range relative to my industry or some set range?

Thanks,
Mike

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 04 Dec 2012 1:24 pm

hessinger wrote:
Sergei82 wrote:3) If you get a job, you have a higher-than-before likelihood that Ministry of Manpower will not let you work in Singapore - look for higher salary to minimize that likelihood

Is the salary range relative to my industry or some set range?

Thanks,
Mike

The rub is that people from the subcontinent, Vietnam, etc, will work for peanuts. MOM is now cracking down on low wage earners, under the impression that locals will fill the gap. Until and unless employers start paying you more, you won't get a work permit.

What's a developer? What's an engineer? Code monkeys abound. Business analysts are a rarer breed. Solutions architects... process design, DB design, UI design, and program specs are less likely to be found and may be paid more.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Tue, 04 Dec 2012 1:49 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:What's a developer? What's an engineer? Code monkeys abound. Business analysts are a rarer breed. Solutions architects... process design, DB design, UI design, and program specs are less likely to be found and may be paid more.

My business card says "[Name of business unit] Product Marketing, R&D - Software Engineer."

My alternate job title, aside from 'code monkey' is "embedded operating systems insultant."

hessinger

Postby hessinger » Tue, 04 Dec 2012 1:52 pm

nakatago wrote:My alternate job title, aside from 'code monkey' is "embedded operating systems insultant.

haha, i love it

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Postby v4jr4 » Tue, 04 Dec 2012 1:58 pm

nakatago wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:What's a developer? What's an engineer? Code monkeys abound. Business analysts are a rarer breed. Solutions architects... process design, DB design, UI design, and program specs are less likely to be found and may be paid more.

My business card says "[Name of business unit] Product Marketing, R&D - Software Engineer."

My alternate job title, aside from 'code monkey' is "embedded operating systems insultant."

We can make an IT band for this: "Rage Against the Codes". Or maybe "Michael Learns to Code".
"Budget Expat"

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Postby Sergei82 » Tue, 04 Dec 2012 2:31 pm

Can get straight to AVP in Barclays and start from 12K sgd/month (front office IT, but actually it looks more like senior developer, not AVP) if you advertise yourself very well, but well means you can prove you are better than an army of Indians who are more than happy to have only 5K/mth.
Everything over 8K/month significantly reduces your chances of being rejected by MOM, but still no guarantee.