Singapore Expats

Suggestions needed: Apple Mac-Book Pro with Retina display

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 05 Dec 2012 9:48 am

buyers of ms office 2010 (between 2012 - 2013, T&Cs apply) will get a free upgrade to ms office 2013 when it's released.

there might be some value to that as well.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 05 Dec 2012 3:03 pm

taxico wrote:buyers of ms office 2010 (between 2012 - 2013, T&Cs apply) will get a free upgrade to ms office 2013 when it's released.

there might be some value to that as well.
Probably doesn't apply to the Mac version, which is Office 2011. I could be wrong though, so check it out.

240volt

Post by 240volt » Tue, 11 Dec 2012 5:10 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
240volt wrote:hey there mate, the retina macbook pros are not very user friendly,
That's completely misleading unless you add "to repair or upgrade" which in fairness 95-98% of all laptop owners never do themselves.

Applecare is indeed cheaper usually when not purchased from Apple. You'll find that Applecare for a Macbook Pro is pretty much model independent. You can buy and hold onto it, activating it months later. I often see 50%+ off AppleCare sales on places like Amazon or eBay. The catch is, you have to remember to go buy your Applecare later before the one-year mark. Most people just bundle it together out of laziness sake.
maybe i worded it wrongly, should have said "upgrade friendly"

what i was talking about is, for example, i always buy my macbook pro stock, and then self upgrade everything, for example my current macbook pro 2012 originally came with 8GB of ram and 500GB 5400 rpm hard drive

I opened it up and replaced the ram to 16GB and the hard drive to 512GB SSD (Solid State Drive) - if this was done at apple the price would have been close to 3K, in fact the total damage i paid was less than 2k for everything (stock laptop + DIY upgrades of which all parts has their own warranty as well)

if you check hardwarezone much you will find that everyone there takes stuff in and out of their macbook pros, its quite normal

in the retina macbook pros the parts are glued together meaning you can probably never be able to upgrade it yourself, thats what i meant

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 15 Dec 2012 2:39 pm

240volt wrote:maybe i worded it wrongly, should have said "upgrade friendly"

what i was talking about is, for example, i always buy my macbook pro stock, and then self upgrade everything, for example my current macbook pro 2012 originally came with 8GB of ram and 500GB 5400 rpm hard drive

I opened it up and replaced...
then you need this... (i even upgraded my processor which is socketted)

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-busi ... b-com.html

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 15 Dec 2012 3:35 pm

240volt wrote: what i was talking about is, for example, i always buy my macbook pro stock, and then self upgrade everything, for example my current macbook pro 2012 originally came with 8GB of ram and 500GB 5400 rpm hard drive

if you check hardwarezone much you will find that everyone there takes stuff in and out of their macbook pros, its quite normal
Most people don't do this. You and the guys on hardware zone (the few dozen who post about it) are probably the only ones in Singapore actually doing it. Not saying there is anything wrong with it, but it is annoying to hear the same "OMG YOU CANT UPGRADE A RETINA MBP" as a negative when 99.9% of the people who are planning to buy a Retina MBP would never even consider doing such a thing.

citxpat

Post by citxpat » Thu, 03 Jan 2013 12:29 am

I would check the refurbished website on apple.com to see if they have any deals. That is how I got my Macbook Air for 80% off ;)

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Thu, 03 Jan 2013 11:00 am

offshoreoildude wrote:Apples are for fags.
hahaha no Apples are the saviour of divorced Dad's :D

For three years after I broke up with my wife I was constantly collecting my daughters laptop running Windows to fix software issues. Then I bought her a Mac. She is on her second one now (dropped the first one on a concrete floor, nothing I could do to fix that!) with a third coming soon.

Three years of pain followed by seven years of NEVER having to fix a software issue.

I love Mac's

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 04 Jan 2013 9:15 am

citxpat wrote:I would check the refurbished website on apple.com to see if they have any deals. That is how I got my Macbook Air for 80% off ;)
80% off? No you didn't. *Maybe* 80% of original MSRP on a refurb of an older generation.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Sun, 20 Jan 2013 1:39 am

Two key points:

1. Apple has some IR (image retention) issues with retina panels manufactured by LG (it's a lottery whether you get an LG or Samsung panel).

2. I've heard that the RAM is soldered in so you might want to order your MBP online with the extra RAM.