Singapore Expats

Moped/scooter conversion UK/Sing

Discuss how you can convert your foreign drivers' licence and other topics relating to drivers' licence.
steveyallop

Moped/scooter conversion UK/Sing

Post by steveyallop » Mon, 26 Nov 2012 6:50 pm

I have a full UK driving license and was under the impression that was OK to convert to similar conditions ie: moped license or in Singapore terms a 2b license.
Have been told NO, I will need to sit the whole shebang (6 months) just to be able to ride a 125cc Vespa.
Has anyone else had any experience with this?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 26 Nov 2012 8:10 pm

How old are you?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 26 Nov 2012 10:20 pm

did you read this: http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic87776.html

or are you just griping?

tonycur

Post by tonycur » Wed, 28 Nov 2012 11:11 am

Does a UK driving licence give you the right to ride as well? In the event that it does, you should be able to use it to ride here to the extent that you can before needing to convert and then take the course in parallel.

A word of advice - get the first step out of the way ASAP. That would be going to one of the driving schools and registering to take the Basic Theory Test. I did that about a month ago and the first available was 3 January. It will only set you back 7 bucks or so and is required even if you can transfer your license. There's no point in ringing around the 3 of them to find an earlier date either - they all seem to be working from the same calendar, so find the one closes to your home / work.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Re: Moped/scooter conversion UK/Sing

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 28 Nov 2012 11:50 am

steveyallop wrote:I have a full UK driving license and was under the impression that was OK to convert to similar conditions ie: moped license or in Singapore terms a 2b license.
Have been told NO, I will need to sit the whole shebang (6 months) just to be able to ride a 125cc Vespa.
Has anyone else had any experience with this?
If your driving license is endorsed for motorcycle or moped operation, or you can obtain documentation to that effect, then you will get the same privileges in Singapore. If you have an unlimited motorcycle license, you will need to petition for same in Singapore but unless you are young and/or inexperienced, you will get it.

If you were allowed to drive mopeds on your license in the UK but you do not have a specific motorcycle endorsement you will not be able to get a motorcycle endorsement in Singapore. A class 2B license is 200cc and less, including mopeds, even 50 cc jobs.

tonycur

Post by tonycur » Thu, 29 Nov 2012 3:34 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
If you were allowed to drive mopeds on your license in the UK but you do not have a specific motorcycle endorsement you will not be able to get a motorcycle endorsement in Singapore.
Would that license allow the OP ride until being required to convert to a SG license?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 30 Nov 2012 9:56 am

tonycur wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
If you were allowed to drive mopeds on your license in the UK but you do not have a specific motorcycle endorsement you will not be able to get a motorcycle endorsement in Singapore.
Would that license allow the OP ride until being required to convert to a SG license?
If you have a motorcycle endorsed foreign license, then, like a car, you can drive a motorbike for one year before conversion is required.