Singapore Expats

Roadtax Renewal Idiocy (rant)

Discuss about COE and how you can make a good decision in buying your next vehicle.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Roadtax Renewal Idiocy (rant)

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 26 Nov 2012 3:15 pm

I bought my car in March 2012. I had to first renew Roadtax June 12th. So now it is time to renew again, but I cannot, since I need to renew for six months, but my insurance expires before the end of that six month period. I've found much cheaper insurance than my current one ($1.3k vs $2k/year), but can't sign up for it (or anywhere it seems) more than 90 days in advanced.

So is LTA purposely working in collusion with local insurance companies to make it a pain in the ass to switch carriers?

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Re: Roadtax Renewal Idiocy (rant)

Post by offshoreoildude » Mon, 26 Nov 2012 3:51 pm

zzm9980 wrote:I bought my car in March 2012. I had to first renew Roadtax June 12th. So now it is time to renew again, but I cannot, since I need to renew for six months, but my insurance expires before the end of that six month period. I've found much cheaper insurance than my current one ($1.3k vs $2k/year), but can't sign up for it (or anywhere it seems) more than 90 days in advanced.

So is LTA purposely working in collusion with local insurance companies to make it a pain in the ass to switch carriers?
Renew your insurace to the next road tax expiry date (they'll do it - at least mine did) - then it's all in sync.
Now I'm called PNGMK

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 26 Nov 2012 4:05 pm

Sigh. Figures, when I bought my car and the insurance they *insisted* it had to be for a year. I'll give them a call and see if I can do a 3-month odd renewal to sync up.

Thanks!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 26 Nov 2012 7:41 pm

Unfortunately it's "normal" here. For both my car and motorbike I had to top-up the insurance to match the road tax validity period.