Singapore Expats

How to manage a new maid who argues a lot

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
SAHM

Hi

Post by SAHM » Mon, 14 Jan 2013 2:56 am

If you dont trust her there is a reason, which we tend to overlook. I did that mistake too! I kept giving my maid chances but it didnt work out at the end!
Arguments- Basically she feels she is perfect! So you need to sternly & calmly tell her to follow what you say, or tell her that you prefer it your way.
If you not happy with the way she handles your 6 ye old kid, there is no reason you should have her around! How are you so sure that she will be good with your new born then!

If you think she is fine, retain her or else take the decision asap. Dnt think you will be allowed to choose your repkacement though!

All the best![/u]

Flick12

Post by Flick12 » Thu, 14 Feb 2013 3:09 pm

Managing someone in your house is challenging, especially if this is your first time? and you are also pregnant. If I didn't feel someone was engaging well with my child I would look to employ someone else. But I would say it takes some management and laying out your expectations with anyone who works with you, so sometimes takes some time...

But if you just know that it isn't right already then don't feel trapped. Can you go to another agency? Can you get them to send other people. Don't let them bully you. You have retained their services to help you find an employee so keep hassling them! Or try getting on to the baby group websites (Blissful Babies on meetup.com or the New Mothers Support Group website) and ask people for recommendations/transfer helpers or Singaporeans they know who may be looking for work.

devi_pras

Indian maids issue

Post by devi_pras » Sat, 19 Oct 2013 7:12 pm

i had maids from indian agencies for the last 6 years and now finally i had to give up taking indian maids as thy always never complete their contract..of late the last 2 maid just did couple of months and lie that they need to get married,kids issue and we need to pay air ticket to send them home.
of late i see their profile back on the net and they continue to do this every 5-6 months or so.
the maid agencies do support them as they keep getting 1 month pay from the maid and the S$1200 from an unsuspecting employer each time..disgusting..no ethics..
Of late most ofthe local are taking maids from indonesia as they are trained better and do honour their contract in most case.
I suggest you take a look oat the passport to check the number of time they have entered singapore in the last 2 years to give you a idea of what to expect from them.
I hope the authorities wake up on those maids who never complete their contact and cancel their permit if they keep going back with excuses and also re-reprimand the agencies for making Business the unethical way..

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 19 Oct 2013 7:54 pm

No offense, but the way I've heard it, is that Indians who hire Indian maids tend to treat them worse than the Chinese Aunties treat Indonesian maids. If there is any truth to that, it's no wonder the Indian maids won't stay with an Indian employer and sadly, because of language capabilities, has no choice but to keep going to even more Indian employers who they know will mistreat them eventually. I reckon it's a two way street. Your complaint isn't new. In fact it's the same from most every Indian employer. So, one has to take a good look inwardly and see if they are carrying any baggage with them from India...... :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

eastcoastsg

Post by eastcoastsg » Sat, 19 Oct 2013 8:12 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:Good on the OP's maid for giving her owner shit.
OWNER?!
carlsum1986 wrote:someone is on a grouchy streak....
Seriously grouchy.

Edit: just realised this is from 2012.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 19 Oct 2013 8:16 pm

eastcoastsg wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:Good on the OP's maid for giving her owner shit.
OWNER?!
carlsum1986 wrote:someone is on a grouchy streak....
Seriously grouchy.

Edit: just realised this is from 2012.
Pretty much owner

BoroBoy
Regular
Regular

Post by BoroBoy » Sun, 20 Oct 2013 2:38 am

Maids are maids if you want a nanny pay the money for a nanny. Never understood people who have babies but don't want to look after them. I get that you might want someone to clean the house while you look after your kids but why bother breeding just to palm them off. If both you and your husband work then you can afford to pay a professional child minder. Arguing how to make a good curry is the last of your worries.

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Re:

Post by midlet2013 » Tue, 13 Dec 2016 1:23 pm

This is simply not possible unless you have spoken to the Indian maids which I doubt. So, you have basically heard such stories from others who may or may not be exaggerating.

Although, I know of a India fren who is a nice guy but two of his maids ran away and one complained about his wife. So yes, people do treat maids with disrespect and never realize it. If you heard him, it was all the maid's fault.

He also rents a Master Room in his 5-room flat which surprized me. But his explanation was that with a master room (with attached bathroom), the tenant will stay in his room most of the time so no interaction.

Sad to see olf fashion Indian Goodness going down the drain.

sundaymorningstaple wrote:No offense, but the way I've heard it, is that Indians who hire Indian maids tend to treat them worse than the Chinese Aunties treat Indonesian maids. If there is any truth to that, it's no wonder the Indian maids won't stay with an Indian employer and sadly, because of language capabilities, has no choice but to keep going to even more Indian employers who they know will mistreat them eventually. I reckon it's a two way street. Your complaint isn't new. In fact it's the same from most every Indian employer. So, one has to take a good look inwardly and see if they are carrying any baggage with them from India...... :-|

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: How to manage a new maid who argues a lot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 13 Dec 2016 9:42 pm

Well, you are welcome to you thoughts, I reckon, regardless how naive they may be. My wife is an Indian (Singapore Tamil) and her extended family members have had lots of maids (we on the other hand have had only one (and not Indian) for two years only when our first child was born. The relatives, some of which, while outwardly respectable, their treatment of Indian maids were a different kettle of fish altogether. We have anecdotal evidence of others as well over the past 30+ years of our marriage. But, as I've said, you are welcome to your opinion. I know there are a lot of Indian Maids who are treated well by their Indian employers but you know the old saw about how a few bad apples spoils the whole barrel.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ahumanbeing

Post by ahumanbeing » Tue, 27 Jun 2017 9:26 am

Bottom line : a shit agent provides a shit maid. There are loads of shit maid agents on earth. Perhaps focus on getting an agent who is a good trainer, this way you won't be wasting your time on this forum and can spend quality time on your children and in enjoying the assistance of your trained maid .... happy days 8-)

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 27 Jun 2017 9:49 am

ahumanbeing wrote:Bottom line : a shit agent provides a shit maid. There are loads of shit maid agents on earth. Perhaps focus on getting an agent who is a good trainer, this way you won't be wasting your time on this forum and can spend quality time on your children and in enjoying the assistance of your trained maid .... happy days 8-)
And no doubt, you can pick out the good agents from the shit agents just by looking at them, right?

ahumanbeing

Post by ahumanbeing » Tue, 27 Jun 2017 10:30 am

I believe so .... being the imperialist unkind Singaporean that you label me to be .... YES YES YES MR STRONG EAGLE. We have had the worst of all maids for the past 30 years where:

We lost 2 dogs aka family members due to their negligence
A maid who stayed for 8 years had been stealing from us

and NEVER ONCE did we report to the police as we felt sorry and did not want these "poor slaves" to be without a rice bowl.

I would appreciate if you pick on another poster. Toodles!!!!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 27 Jun 2017 10:52 am

ahumanbeing wrote:I would appreciate if you pick on another poster. Toodles!!!!
Hey, Toodles! You're the one making the outlandish statements. I respond. Is your ego feeling wounded?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 27 Jun 2017 11:43 am

ahumanbeing wrote: We lost 2 dogs aka family members due to their negligence
Interesting .. back home we lost a poodle puppy, when we were out of town, as a neighbour unknowingly gave the puppy left over food - which had MSG - effectively poisoned the puppy.

We knew it was our mistake, as, since the puppy was a family member, it was our fault, and didn't take it with the neighbour, who treated the dog as a DOG.

Now, back to you, if the dogs were family members, why entrust them to maids - who are not so smart and privileged like you ? :) Honest question. Do you entrust family members to the total care of the maids- or are you one of those who have a maid to carry the babies, feed them, and then give the baby to the parents for play time / petting time ? :)

Answers NOT expected.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 07 Jul 2017 3:10 pm

ah for the good old days when we owned our maids....
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!