Singapore Expats Forum

Chance of PR Application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
SingaporeWorker
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun, 25 Nov 2012

Chance of PR Application

Postby SingaporeWorker » Sun, 25 Nov 2012 1:01 am

Here is my case, please kindly advise what is the next move.

1. Has been moved to Singapore since Sep 2011.
2. Holding EP (P1) the basic salary 9K+/month.
3. Working as IT manager in oversea banking industry.
4. Wife and 2 children are holding DP and apply for PR together
5. The fist rejection letter of PR application (did not mention anything in the letter) received on Sep 2012.
6. Taking master degree programme in NUS, which will be graduated in 2014.

Now I'm preparing to resubmit the PR application in Dec 2012. After reading the posts on the forum, I am hesitated to make decision now. Could you please advise which one is the ideal one

Three options:
1. Submit in Dec 2012. (The difference since last time, salary increased, take fresh course in NUS, wife got a part-time job)
2. Wait until Mar 2013 (6 month after first rejection), kind of wasting time if it is still rejected.
3. Apply individually. (w/o wife and children)

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed, 18 Apr 2012

Re: Chance of PR Application

Postby vishalgupta2 » Sun, 25 Nov 2012 1:35 am

SingaporeWorker wrote:Here is my case, please kindly advise what is the next move.

1. Has been moved to Singapore since Sep 2011.
2. Holding EP (P1) the basic salary 9K+/month.
3. Working as IT manager in oversea banking industry.
4. Wife and 2 children are holding DP and apply for PR together
5. The fist rejection letter of PR application (did not mention anything in the letter) received on Sep 2012.
6. Taking master degree programme in NUS, which will be graduated in 2014.

Now I'm preparing to resubmit the PR application in Dec 2012. After reading the posts on the forum, I am hesitated to make decision now. Could you please advise which one is the ideal one

Three options:
1. Submit in Dec 2012. (The difference since last time, salary increased, take fresh course in NUS, wife got a part-time job)
2. Wait until Mar 2013 (6 month after first rejection), kind of wasting time if it is still rejected.
3. Apply individually. (w/o wife and children)


Experts on this forum will need 1 really important detail from you, your race.

Callput
Regular
Regular
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu, 08 Nov 2012

Postby Callput » Sun, 25 Nov 2012 2:36 am

Apply in Sep 2014

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Sun, 25 Nov 2012 9:08 am

You received a PR rejection 12 months after you arrived in Singapore? How soon did you apply? Did you read even a single thing about the PR requirements? Such as having three tax assessments completed?

Also, what is your race?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 25 Nov 2012 10:34 am

I believe he is Taiwanese, which could be one of the reasons, coupled along with the requirement that he have at least three tax assessments and/or two years as an EP here before ICA will consider a PR application.

I do not think ICA places and distinction between Taiwanese & PRC as Taiwan is still considered part of China. This may pose a problem even after he finishes his masters at NUS.

His best chance, to me, would be to wait until he has finished his Masters here. But there is nothing stopping him from applying early, other than giving ICA the impression of desperation. But, that is up to him. This is only my reading of the facts.

sms

SingaporeWorker
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun, 25 Nov 2012

Chance of PR Application

Postby SingaporeWorker » Mon, 26 Nov 2012 4:46 am

Hi all,

First of all, thank you for your comment. I'm a Chinese from China

The reason I applied so early, just because I checked with ICA before my first submission, they said, no restriction on the timing of submission. Therefore, I tried my luck and showed the desperation of willing to join Singapore.

Also, being a PR could deduct my tuition fee in NUS, enable my CPF, lower duty tax of buying property.... therefore I did not wait for 2 years or 3 tax assessment.

Base on your comment, it seems they put some special treatment on PRC... what is that? does that mean it is less chance for those people from China?

Considering a lot of benefits of being a PR are related to me, will that be helpful if I apply individually first.



sundaymorningstaple wrote:I believe he is Taiwanese, which could be one of the reasons, coupled along with the requirement that he have at least three tax assessments and/or two years as an EP here before ICA will consider a PR application.

I do not think ICA places and distinction between Taiwanese & PRC as Taiwan is still considered part of China. This may pose a problem even after he finishes his masters at NUS.

His best chance, to me, would be to wait until he has finished his Masters here. But there is nothing stopping him from applying early, other than giving ICA the impression of desperation. But, that is up to him. This is only my reading of the facts.

sms

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Mon, 26 Nov 2012 8:39 am

Currently ICA discriminates against Indians and PRC Chinese in PR applications. More like they discriminate against any non-Straits Chinese, but more so against those two.

Also, while you're allowed to submit an application at anytime, you're not likely to be approved without meeting all of the requirements, which include paying taxes in Singapore at least three times. Exceptions to that are likely only made in exceptional cases, such as millionaire Malaysian Chinese with five teenage male heirs on the application.

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed, 18 Apr 2012

Re: Chance of PR Application

Postby vishalgupta2 » Mon, 26 Nov 2012 3:40 pm

SingaporeWorker wrote:Hi all,

First of all, thank you for your comment. I'm a Chinese from China

The reason I applied so early, just because I checked with ICA before my first submission, they said, no restriction on the timing of submission. Therefore, I tried my luck and showed the desperation of willing to join Singapore.

Also, being a PR could deduct my tuition fee in NUS, enable my CPF, lower duty tax of buying property.... therefore I did not wait for 2 years or 3 tax assessment.

Base on your comment, it seems they put some special treatment on PRC... what is that? does that mean it is less chance for those people from China?

Considering a lot of benefits of being a PR are related to me, will that be helpful if I apply individually first.


In all theory taking a Permanent residency in any country must be a decision way bigger than saving some tuition or taxes on property.

Special treatment of PRC, sure there is. Any PRC or Indian gets a guaranteed Rejection unless he has paperwork to guarantee some great benefit to the island.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Mon, 26 Nov 2012 3:49 pm

If Singapore doesn't want you, someone will. Don't despair; you've escaped a slowly sinking ship.
Now I'm called PNGMK

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1791
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

Re: Chance of PR Application

Postby Mi Amigo » Mon, 26 Nov 2012 4:08 pm

vishalgupta2 wrote:In all theory taking a Permanent residency in any country must be a decision way bigger than saving some tuition or taxes on property.

+1 to that. Possible questions in the ICA officer's mind in situations like this could be "Why the undue haste? Has the applicant been here long enough to form a real attachment and a genuine desire to reside here permanently?" Of course in the case of Malaysian Chinese this seems to have less importance, given the similarity to Singapore Chinese and hence the (presumed) greater likelihood of easy integration and long-term stay.

vishalgupta2 wrote:Special treatment of PRC, sure there is. Any PRC or Indian gets a guaranteed Rejection unless he has paperwork to guarantee some great benefit to the island.

Not quite a 'guaranteed rejection' but I get your point. However, as SMS says, it's their ball, their park, etc., etc... We are all guests here at the end of the day, and it's only natural that they want to maximise the benefit to the country. The point of debate right now of course is whether the recent changes will increase or decrease that benefit overall. My view is that there's a balance to be struck; I'm just not sure that they've got it right at the moment.
Be careful what you wish for

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Re: Chance of PR Application

Postby Saint » Tue, 27 Nov 2012 9:58 am

SingaporeWorker wrote:Also, being a PR could deduct my tuition fee in NUS, enable my CPF, lower duty tax of buying property.... therefore I did not wait for 2 years or 3 tax assessment.



This is the exact reason why the Gahmen have made it a lot more difficult for certain applicants to be granted PR. Singapore grant PR to applicant who they delieve will contribute to the development of the country, not to applicants who's sole reasons are to benefit themselves financial which is obvious in your case.

SingaporeWorker
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun, 25 Nov 2012

Postby SingaporeWorker » Wed, 28 Nov 2012 1:49 pm

Thanks for your valuable comments.

The benefits I put there may be a bit materialistic, but they are all ture. Meanwhile, the willing of join Singapore PR is also becuase Singapore is a nice and safe place to live.

However, if we are talking about the contribution to development of Singapore, or any country in the World. As an individual, the main contributions are tax contribution and national services. If these are the factors ICA to consider the eligiablity of A PR. I think my family should have a fairly resonable chance.

For the problem of discrimination to PRC. I could not put too much comment here, afterall, there was same bad model given by people from China here. Nevertheless, we should not simply conclude that all of Chinese from China has this kind of problem. Previousely, most of them are Labor or people who may just inherited a big wealth from parents. The people like us who is working very hard to be able to be transferred to Singapore is quite different. We do appreciate the chance and long for changing children's destiny by starting of getting an identity - PR in Singapore.

Anyway, I don't think my argument will change anything, but I'm happy to exchange the idea with you guys.

Cheers.

User avatar
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2012
Location: Chocolate Factory

Postby v4jr4 » Wed, 28 Nov 2012 1:59 pm

SingaporeWorker wrote:The benefits I put there may be a bit materialistic, but they are all ture. Meanwhile, the willing of join Singapore PR is also becuase Singapore is a nice and safe place to live.

However, if we are talking about the contribution to development of Singapore, or any country in the World. As an individual, the main contributions are tax contribution and national services. If these are the factors ICA to consider the eligiablity of A PR. I think my family should have a fairly resonable chance.


When we talk about the "system abusers", I just wonder, if I may, whether you are planning to stand in Singapore for a long term? Let's say until retirement. Or an analyst before jumper.
"Budget Expat"

SingaporeWorker
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun, 25 Nov 2012

Postby SingaporeWorker » Wed, 28 Nov 2012 4:22 pm

Based on the current plan, we would like to stay here as long as possible, it depends on the stability of my current job if I don't have a PR with me.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 28 Nov 2012 4:47 pm

Well, I came here in 1982 on a 12 month contract. I now find myself having been here for 30 years, 4 months & 17 days. I'm now past retirement age having passed 65 3 months ago. I've weathered 6 recessions now (this is my sixth) so I doubt I can be counted as a quitter or abuser. I have a son doing national service in the Singapore Navy at the moment as well and my TFR is good with at least 2 children here! :o


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest