Singapore Expats

COEs for old vehicles

Discuss about COE and how you can make a good decision in buying your next vehicle.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: COEs for old vehicles

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 15 Feb 2021 10:45 am

Actually it is much easier today that ever before. With the advent of ERP gantries it's pretty easy to spot with the huge databases they are using and the near instantaneous speed that data travels. Now human visuals are not needed like the old days. your card goes under a gantry, the IU is automatically put into the system, those IU registered to vintage/antique cars would automatically flags and a query sent to another file of the database which would contain a registery of all those types of vehicles and subfiles would contain a list of dates said vehicle was captured by a road gantry of random camera if linked into the system. All without human eyes.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Re:

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 15 Feb 2021 12:01 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 14 Feb 2021 10:59 pm
offshoreoildude wrote:
Thu, 22 Nov 2012 8:59 pm
Unless they are classic scheme (30 days allowed driving per year) the COE is the same. The price of road tax also goes up though with every decade. You might have noticed a lot of older cars had COE's expiring late last year - it was a very low COE 10 years ago from that date and a lot of owners renewed COE's on older cars then. I don't expect we'll see that again and older vehicles will be scrapped more and more.
I know this thread was revived probably just for the previous poster to promote his services, however I am curious as to how the LTA is able to tell if the car is driven more than 30 days a year. Do they use some sort of special camera and look through to see every single car that drives past? I imagine that to be quite tedious and inefficient. Very interesting.
The only place people get away with it is in small estates or industrial areas (Tuas etc). No one drives near an ERP gantry without a classic day license in the windscreen.

I am considering buying a classic manual for my son to improve his driving in and this is something I've been looking into. It may actually be easier to buy a manual G plate actually.

Edit: I should add that while not relevant in Covid19 a significant appeal of classic plate cars is using them across the border in MY. That's one of the reasons the old Landies are so popular. You use one day driving into MY, drive around for a week or so and then use another day when you come back. Also some folk who used to commute to MY daily used OPC cars for similar reasons.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!