Singapore Expats

Considering relocation.

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Wed, 28 Nov 2012 1:26 pm

Sergei82 wrote:So if I'm a single male without dependants, I'll be ok? (most likely)
I guess not really. They can use the age factor to downgrade FTs.
"Budget Expat"

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 28 Nov 2012 1:32 pm

Maybe. No telling. As you are not the flavour of the month, they may want to make sure you don't get married to a PRC and bring her here? They can use it for whatever their devious little beetle minds can dream up. Remember, this is Singapore, home of the knee-jerk reactions!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

noskich
Regular
Regular

Post by noskich » Wed, 28 Nov 2012 5:15 pm

Callput wrote:
Noskitch, I dont know what industry you are that makes you feel so sanguine about Singapore. But I will tell about Banking and IT

So I would rather take a chance of going to the US at this point if I had the choice than stay back in Singapore.
Mate, I m also in IT and in Australia. I am not doing bad here, however I am bored and need a change. That is why long term I am looking into Singapore. US I am not interested in due to personal preference and lifestyle.

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Wed, 28 Nov 2012 6:21 pm

noskich wrote:
Callput wrote:
Noskitch, I dont know what industry you are that makes you feel so sanguine about Singapore. But I will tell about Banking and IT

So I would rather take a chance of going to the US at this point if I had the choice than stay back in Singapore.
Mate, I m also in IT and in Australia. I am not doing bad here, however I am bored and need a change. That is why long term I am looking into Singapore. US I am not interested in due to personal preference and lifestyle.
And to say Singapore is even smaller :-|
"Budget Expat"

Callput
Regular
Regular

Post by Callput » Wed, 28 Nov 2012 6:30 pm

noskich wrote:
Callput wrote:

For IT, Australia is much better. I saw jobs in my technical area in Seek.Com.Au. The kind of salaries that you get there, you can never get here. The only problem is for Australia, almost all ads have a disclaimer stating "You must have the right to live and work in this location to apply for this job", which means you need to be a PR and there is no easy EP options like Singapore(although the EP situation is changing for the worse in Singapore now)

I mean look at this ad man:
http://www.seek.com.au/Job/microsoft-sq ... s/23501173

They are willing to pay 75-120k AUD for 1-3 yrs exp guys. In Singapore, the person wont get even 50K SGD for this role.

Also the number of job openings in Australia is no match for Singapore.

noskich
Regular
Regular

Post by noskich » Wed, 28 Nov 2012 8:05 pm

Callput wrote: For IT, Australia is much better. I saw jobs in my technical area in Seek.Com.Au. The kind of salaries that you get there, you can never get here. The only problem is for Australia, almost all ads have a disclaimer stating "You must have the right to live and work in this location to apply for this job", which means you need to be a PR and there is no easy EP options like Singapore(although the EP situation is changing for the worse in Singapore now)

I mean look at this ad man:
http://www.seek.com.au/Job/microsoft-sq ... s/23501173

They are willing to pay 75-120k AUD for 1-3 yrs exp guys. In Singapore, the person wont get even 50K SGD for this role.

Also the number of job openings in Australia is no match for Singapore.
You are probably right, however it is irrelevant since my motivation is not financial or career-oriented, but looking for a different lifestyle. My partner is Thai and once we tie the knot and possibly have a kid Singapore would allow frequent trips to Thailand (where we plan to build a house), cheaper child care and more opportunities for trips elsewhere. In terms of lifestyle I would welcome the dynamic 24/7 atmosphere relative to Sydney`s closed after 5PM atmosphere. Also would be beneficial to have the kid attend local school in Singapore and learn Mandarin. We are also very much into practising Buddhism and while Australian Buddhist community is very strong no doubt there would be more opportunity to meet influential teachers and visit monasteries from/within Singapore.
I don`t drive so car is not an issue. Also I am not picky regarding condos. Smaller older style HDB in Geylang/Paya Lebar would be fine with me as long it is up to 10 mins walk to MRT.
With economic power slowly shifting to Asia my bet is that Singapore will be a better option than OZ in the future (aka Jim Rodgers and Marc Faber).

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Thu, 29 Nov 2012 12:00 pm

noskich wrote: With economic power slowly shifting to Asia my bet is that Singapore will be a better option than OZ in the future (aka Jim Rodgers and Marc Faber).
I seriously doubt that. I should agree with some of my friends - it will most likely be Monaco #2 - a city of millionaires with insane prices. Government will not let real estate prices fall in the near future - it has enough reserves to buy foreclosed properties. And such monsters like Temasek Holdings, CapitaLand and like - they are not interested in real estate prices going down. Add to this a lot of wealthy Chinese purchasing more and more property in Singapore for pure cash, which revs up price increase for everything around even more and more. I don't think it is reasonable to plan your staying here for more than a few years.
I don't think, it will ever be like it was in 2009 when I just came here (although even that year was already not the best).

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Thu, 29 Nov 2012 12:12 pm

Sergei82 wrote:
noskich wrote: With economic power slowly shifting to Asia my bet is that Singapore will be a better option than OZ in the future (aka Jim Rodgers and Marc Faber).
I seriously doubt that. I should agree with some of my friends - it will most likely be Monaco #2 - a city of millionaires with insane prices. Government will not let real estate prices fall in the near future - it has enough reserves to buy foreclosed properties. And such monsters like Temasek Holdings, CapitaLand and like - they are not interested in real estate prices going down. Add to this a lot of wealthy Chinese purchasing more and more property in Singapore for pure cash, which revs up price increase for everything around even more and more. I don't think it is reasonable to plan your staying here for more than a few years.
I don't think, it will ever be like it was in 2009 when I just came here (although even that year was already not the best).
While I'll guess that the money will circulate around China, perhaps HK, Malaysia, Indonesia, or Thailand will be raised as an optional hub. I'm a little bit skeptic that things will get better around Middle East and Europe.
"Budget Expat"

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Thu, 29 Nov 2012 12:21 pm

v4jr4 wrote:
Sergei82 wrote:
While I'll guess that the money will circulate around China, perhaps HK, Malaysia, Indonesia, or Thailand will be raised as an optional hub. I'm a little bit skeptic that things will get better around Middle East and Europe.
When they get better, then we will come. There is no guarantee that your income will automatically get better when everything around improves. So no point to jump in now.
It wasn't the purpose of coming in Singapore for most. Things may not be perfect here, but it was considered as the second home by many... perhaps, too many.

noskich
Regular
Regular

Post by noskich » Fri, 30 Nov 2012 11:26 am

I see you guys bitching about Singapore, but are at the same time holding tight to your chairs. No plans to leave Singapore whatsoever.
It seems as if you are protecting your turf against newcomers. :roll:

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Fri, 30 Nov 2012 11:57 am

noskich wrote:I see you guys bitching about Singapore, but are at the same time holding tight to your chairs. No plans to leave Singapore whatsoever.
Maybe you're right. Or maybe we're learning that complaining stuffs is the main thing in some countries. Or maybe we're petty users who only do small talks. Or maybe we're sharing what's stuck in our head. Or maybe we're pretty surprised with sudden turnover. Or maybe we're judged for something that other people of the same race do. Or maybe we don't know what to do. Or maybe we're thinking too much. Or maybe we're part of the problem, or solution.

Welcome to cyberspace. Mon*Star here :P
"Budget Expat"

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Fri, 30 Nov 2012 12:02 pm

noskich wrote: No plans to leave Singapore whatsoever.
You think 1st, then type. You are talking abt us at all???
There are a lot of hot topics about where to go at the moment.
And you can't even imagine how many people here are packing their suitcases at the moment. Even those who are reasonably safe according to current MOM regulations.

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Fri, 30 Nov 2012 12:04 pm

Sergei82 wrote:
And you can't even imagine how many people here are packing their suitcases at the moment. Even those who are reasonably safe according to current MOM regulations.
+1
First they invite, second they kick. No warning.
"Budget Expat"

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Fri, 30 Nov 2012 12:12 pm

noskich wrote:I see you guys bitching about Singapore, but are at the same time holding tight to your chairs. No plans to leave Singapore whatsoever.
It seems as if you are protecting your turf against newcomers. :roll:
Yes we do protect Singapore against users and losers but we are also all very conscious that we are here as guests of the government and can be gone in a day.
Now I'm called PNGMK

noskich
Regular
Regular

Post by noskich » Fri, 30 Nov 2012 1:04 pm

Sergei82 wrote:
Haven`t seen any. Where are they posted? And what are the most popular destinations?