Singapore Expats

Singapore not what you expected?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
andrewlumley

Singapore not what you expected?

Post by andrewlumley » Tue, 20 Nov 2012 1:29 pm

Did anyone else get here, start their new job and find it kind of a nasty surprise?

Don't you think the managers here are way too strict? I already got in trouble :mad:

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Singapore not what you expected?

Post by v4jr4 » Tue, 20 Nov 2012 1:47 pm

andrewlumley wrote:Did anyone else get here, start their new job and find it kind of a nasty surprise?

Don't you think the managers here are way too strict? I already got in trouble :mad:
Whoa. Hold the bomb. "A part (taken) for the whole" does not always work. Spill out the stories. I've encountered several guys from other countries as well, and some of them are either too strict or too loose :lol:
"Budget Expat"

Callput
Regular
Regular

Post by Callput » Tue, 20 Nov 2012 2:04 pm

Most managers here are foreigners anyways and they bring with them all kinds of cultures. May be you got a local manager?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 20 Nov 2012 3:35 pm

I wouldn't paint a whole country by one single manager your first time here being strict.

If I did that, Singapore would be the most laid back, hands-off, relaxed place on the planet. My first manager here used to sleep at his desk afternoons, and give us completely autonomy in all regards to handle things any way we wanted, and have our backs on anything we wanted. Of course, it could do a lot with your job industry, position, years of experience, and general attitude.

andrewlumley

Post by andrewlumley » Tue, 20 Nov 2012 3:46 pm

I'm not saying everyone's boss is like that. But from what I have heard it is the case in a lot of places. I love the life here and I want to stay, but I think its hard for a foreigner to adjust to working life here!

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Tue, 20 Nov 2012 3:55 pm

I have worked here for 12 years under 3 bosses in the semicon industry. Two of them are laid back type managers but are results oriented (chinese singaporean). One is a micro manager who screams (chinese malaysian). So we really cannot lump managers here into a single category. Even managers from the same race can be different from each other.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Tue, 20 Nov 2012 5:40 pm

The local managers here can be petty little phuckers. I usually avoid working for them. Saying that I don't really like working directly under anyone now - a loose reporting relationship to someone half a world away is more my style.
Now I'm called PNGMK

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Tue, 20 Nov 2012 5:54 pm

If you go to a foreign country and are surprized (or disappointed) that things are not as you expected, it is because (and only because) your expectations were wrong.
Of course it is more difficult to realize your own folly in this, rather than blaming it on the host country "being wrong" - which is what most people do, and the main cause of culture shock.

If you are having problems with your manager's work style, it may be a personal thing (not everybody can get along with everybody else, independent of culture or country). If it is indeed a cultural thing and you cannot adjust to it, you can only leave this place and hope you are more flexible elsewhere.

In my personal experience (which might be totally irrelevant here), Asian managers I worked with were on average more efficient, flexible, pragmatic, approachable and friendly than Western ones I encountered.

andrewlumley

Post by andrewlumley » Tue, 20 Nov 2012 6:11 pm

Hmmm I don't know....I really like it hear. But I would rather be my own boss haha! But I suppose that's not going to happen, not unless I ever become PR here.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Tue, 20 Nov 2012 6:29 pm

You sound like a "grass is always greener on the other side" person.
As a self-employed, you are not bossed around less, the difference is just that those doing it are called "customers" and have a legitimate eligibility to behave like kings - and they will immediately terminate without any notice if you don't follow.

Darthcoder
Regular
Regular

Post by Darthcoder » Tue, 20 Nov 2012 11:30 pm

Ive had 2 Managers till now, both local (Chinese Singaporeans). The first one was awesome, the second one micromanages me and wants accountability for each minute of my time :x . Oh, and the second one is a lady. Helped me make up my mind to pack my bags and leave soon, sigh.
I am back I am back I am back I am back You know I am back. Everybody stand up!

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Singapore not what you expected?

Post by the lynx » Wed, 21 Nov 2012 9:11 am

andrewlumley wrote:Did anyone else get here, start their new job and find it kind of a nasty surprise?

So what are you looking for from this discussion?

I'm not sure what to say, because IMHO comparing different managers from personal experience doesn't help, unless that's what you're looking for.

Callput
Regular
Regular

Post by Callput » Wed, 21 Nov 2012 10:27 am

Darthcoder wrote:Ive had 2 Managers till now, both local (Chinese Singaporeans). The first one was awesome, the second one micromanages me and wants accountability for each minute of my time :x . Oh, and the second one is a lady. Helped me make up my mind to pack my bags and leave soon, sigh.
My manager is from the same country as I am and so are all my team members. So cannot credit or discredit Singapore work culture for the way they are, haha.

I believe the better the company/mnc you are the higher the likelyhood of finding non-local managers :)

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Wed, 21 Nov 2012 11:36 am

andrewlumley wrote:.... but I think its hard for a foreigner to adjust to working life here!

It is hard for foreigners to adjust to ANY country and working life.

There is ALWAYS something different and the quicker you learn to adapt to local culture (again, in ANY country) the better off you will be.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

andrewlumley

Post by andrewlumley » Thu, 22 Nov 2012 2:40 pm

I am not really looking to achieve anything from this forum just wanted to share experiences with you!

Hmmm well I still think starting a company of your own is the way forward...if you're rich enough to begin with I guess!! :???: