Singapore Expats Forum

Johor once more

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
Image
The Club Residences

Mika_Today
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun, 18 Nov 2012

Johor once more

Postby Mika_Today » Sun, 18 Nov 2012 5:12 pm

Hi,

I know there's been a lot of postings about living in Johor and working in Singapore, but I didn't find the answers I was looking for, so I'm putting in one more.

I'm moving to Singapore next year. However, as I will be working from home coming to the office maybe once a week, living better and cheaper on the Malaysian side is an appealing choice to what the Singapore housing market has to offer in my price range.

But I only have an EP for Singapore and no personal or professional connection to Malaysia, that, to my knowledge would qualify me for an official status of residence in the country. So my questions are

1. Is it legal to live in Malaysia and work in Singapore? Is there a chance of the Malaysian authorities refusing my entry, if I spend too much time in the country with a social visit pass?

2. Can I lose my Singapore EP if I don't live within the country's borders?

3. Where do I pay taxes from my income in Singapore if I spend more than 183 days in the year in Malaysia?

I'd be really grateful if somebody could help me with this information!

Thanks

beppi
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Re: Johor once more

Postby beppi » Mon, 19 Nov 2012 4:57 pm

Mika_Today wrote:1. Is it legal to live in Malaysia and work in Singapore? Is there a chance of the Malaysian authorities refusing my entry, if I spend too much time in the country with a social visit pass?

Living (and working, even from home) in Malaysia (or any other country, for that matter) requires a valid redidency visa (and/or work visa). You won't get one.
Doing so on SVP is illegal and will backfire after a while.

Mika_Today wrote:2. Can I lose my Singapore EP if I don't live within the country's borders?

No. Many Malaysians are doing exactly that: Work in Singapore and live in Malaysia.

Mika_Today wrote:3. Where do I pay taxes from my income in Singapore if I spend more than 183 days in the year in Malaysia?

I don't know the Singapore-Malaysia tax agreement in detail. Generally, you pay tax where you live, not where you work, but exceptions often apply for cross-border work-life arrangements. And an EP might require taxation in Singapore (double taxation is possible!). Check with a good tax consultant if you are trying this route!

User avatar
nutnut
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu, 24 Nov 2011
Location: The Mainland....

Re: Johor once more

Postby nutnut » Mon, 19 Nov 2012 7:48 pm

beppi wrote:
Mika_Today wrote:1. Is it legal to live in Malaysia and work in Singapore? Is there a chance of the Malaysian authorities refusing my entry, if I spend too much time in the country with a social visit pass?

Living (and working, even from home) in Malaysia (or any other country, for that matter) requires a valid redidency visa (and/or work visa). You won't get one.
Doing so on SVP is illegal and will backfire after a while.


Huh? Explain more, surely there is a chance to get one!?
nutnut

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Re: Johor once more

Postby offshoreoildude » Mon, 19 Nov 2012 7:52 pm

nutnut wrote:
beppi wrote:
Mika_Today wrote:1. Is it legal to live in Malaysia and work in Singapore? Is there a chance of the Malaysian authorities refusing my entry, if I spend too much time in the country with a social visit pass?

Living (and working, even from home) in Malaysia (or any other country, for that matter) requires a valid redidency visa (and/or work visa). You won't get one.
Doing so on SVP is illegal and will backfire after a while.


Huh? Explain more, surely there is a chance to get one!?


I think he means PR in MY - apparently quite difficult.
Now I'm called PNGMK

beppi
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Postby beppi » Mon, 19 Nov 2012 8:23 pm

I meant he won't get any long-term visa.
If the OP does not work there, or fall under the M'sia Second Home program for retirees or buy (expensive) real estate in Iskandar or similar, why should the M'sian gahmen give him a residency permit?
And on SVP the plan certainly won't fly.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Mon, 19 Nov 2012 10:25 pm

beppi wrote:I meant he won't get any long-term visa.
If the OP does not work there, or fall under the M'sia Second Home program for retirees or buy (expensive) real estate in Iskandar or similar, why should the M'sian gahmen give him a residency permit?
And on SVP the plan certainly won't fly.


You're right. They need bonafide visa/permits at both ends.
Now I'm called PNGMK

Mika_Today
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun, 18 Nov 2012

Re: Johor once more

Postby Mika_Today » Thu, 22 Nov 2012 3:12 pm

beppi wrote:Living (and working, even from home) in Malaysia (or any other country, for that matter) requires a valid redidency visa (and/or work visa). You won't get one.
Doing so on SVP is illegal and will backfire after a while.

Mika_Today wrote:2. Can I lose my Singapore EP if I don't live within the country's borders?

No. Many Malaysians are doing exactly that: Work in Singapore and live in Malaysia.


So is it all just Malaysians who live in JB and work in SG?

Callput
Regular
Regular
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu, 08 Nov 2012

Re: Johor once more

Postby Callput » Thu, 22 Nov 2012 3:37 pm

Mika_Today wrote:
beppi wrote:Living (and working, even from home) in Malaysia (or any other country, for that matter) requires a valid redidency visa (and/or work visa). You won't get one.
Doing so on SVP is illegal and will backfire after a while.

Mika_Today wrote:2. Can I lose my Singapore EP if I don't live within the country's borders?

No. Many Malaysians are doing exactly that: Work in Singapore and live in Malaysia.


So is it all just Malaysians who live in JB and work in SG?


Yes, its a practical option only for Malaysians. I know an Indian national doing that but his wife is MY passport holder so he got long term pass there.

So you need some connection in malaysia otherwise its a no go.

beppi
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Postby beppi » Thu, 22 Nov 2012 4:02 pm

No, there's also a number of foreigners who got a M'sia visa, e.g. by being married to a Malaysian, or buying property in a few places (like Iskandar) where you get a residence permit with it (these are overpriced by Malaysian standards, but still cheaper than Singapore).
But given the obvious differences in living standard (third world against highly developed) and the hazzle of crossing the border frequently , I don't understand why anybody would want to live there just to save a few hundred dollars. (I worked in Batam and lived in Singapore for a while, so I know what I'm talking about!)

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 699
Joined: Thu, 23 Jul 2009

Postby movingtospore » Thu, 22 Nov 2012 4:21 pm

Well, I friends who live in Nusajaya and love it there. BUT, they do not need to come in everyday. If you do need to come into the city every day, be prepared for a lot of hassle some days.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Thu, 22 Nov 2012 5:30 pm

beppi wrote:No, there's also a number of foreigners who got a M'sia visa, e.g. by being married to a Malaysian, or buying property in a few places (like Iskandar) where you get a residence permit with it (these are overpriced by Malaysian standards, but still cheaper than Singapore).
But given the obvious differences in living standard (third world against highly developed) and the hazzle of crossing the border frequently , I don't understand why anybody would want to live there just to save a few hundred dollars. (I worked in Batam and lived in Singapore for a while, so I know what I'm talking about!)


I agree. I looked at this option when I worked in Tuas. I couldn't make it work - even less so now I am back in the CBD. However there are some bloggers around posting and boasting about '45 mins from Iskandar to CBD' - I assume they're leaving at sparrows fart or earlier (probably before first prayer call anyways) and using a motorbike.
Now I'm called PNGMK


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests