Singapore Expats Forum

Motorcycle Sidecars in Singapore?

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.

Sponsored by:
Image
AVIS Car Rental
offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Motorcycle Sidecars in Singapore?

Postby offshoreoildude » Sat, 17 Nov 2012 1:10 pm

Does anyone know anything about how to have one added on to a bike and what sort of restrictions apply? I've seen a few around attached to <200CC bikes and most of them seem to be for goods only - not for passengers.
Now I'm called PNGMK

taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3148
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Postby taxico » Sat, 17 Nov 2012 3:07 pm

you'll need the side car plans approved by LTA. motorbike shops can direct you to a place that have knowledge on installing sidecars and go on from there...

you must choose either the carriage of passenger or goods (and stick to it).

the bike cannot travel on the highway.

it's cheaper to buy one already attached unless you have a particular side car and bike combo in mind.

i've been toying with the idea of a vespa GTS 300 + side car but it seems too much hassle and rather expensive to get engineers to draw up plans and then go through the whole process...

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Sat, 17 Nov 2012 7:53 pm

A nice Minsk in good shape would be pretty fun. I saw a group of them in Shanghai recently.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10408
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Sun, 18 Nov 2012 3:32 am

zzm9980 wrote:A nice Minsk in good shape would be pretty fun. I saw a group of them in Shanghai recently.


I've ridden Minsks all over Vietnam and Laos. 125 cc buzzer. Such a serious two stroke oil burner that they have been outlawed in Hanoi... although plenty can be found.

If the Minsk has anything going for it, it is simplicity, and if you can get the engine revved high enough, it will climb a lot of things. But the Honda Baja 250 is a far better bike.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Sun, 18 Nov 2012 9:43 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:A nice Minsk in good shape would be pretty fun. I saw a group of them in Shanghai recently.


I've ridden Minsks all over Vietnam and Laos. 125 cc buzzer. Such a serious two stroke oil burner that they have been outlawed in Hanoi... although plenty can be found.

If the Minsk has anything going for it, it is simplicity, and if you can get the engine revved high enough, it will climb a lot of things. But the Honda Baja 250 is a far better bike.


Oh, I'm sure some Honda or Suzuki is a better bike. The Minsk just seems to have some character and looks 'fun'. I would never buy one unless it was just a pet project and I had a garage or space with plenty of room (something that will never happen here). Pretty much the same thing happened while I was still in California. I wanted a Ducati Monster, but the Suzuki SV650 was pretty much superior in every possible way (except the name and 'character'), and half the price. Since I only had room for one bike, well, I went practical. Enjoyed the hell out of the SV650, but still wish I had the Ducati every day.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10408
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Sun, 18 Nov 2012 6:08 pm

In a highly inebriated condition (serious Vietnamese rice whisky), I rode the original, one and only Pink Minsk through the streets of Hanoi, the exact same bike that was ridden in a Top Gear episode. So plowed under I nearly fell off the back... and made it anyway.

Image

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Mon, 19 Nov 2012 8:25 am

/like

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9258
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 19 Nov 2012 1:39 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:In a highly inebriated condition (serious Vietnamese rice whisky), I rode the original, one and only Pink Minsk through the streets of Hanoi, the exact same bike that was ridden in a Top Gear episode. So plowed under I nearly fell off the back... and made it anyway.


The video cam - is it STC'd ?? :D :D


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
  • Motorcycle problem
    by bluenose » Thu, 18 Oct 2012 7:40 am » in Cars & Motorcycles
    8
    4858
    by Strong Eagle View the latest post
    Fri, 19 Oct 2012 2:41 pm
  • Motorcycle Day Trips, Evening Rides, etc.
    by achieve1ness » Wed, 06 Mar 2013 3:08 pm » in Cars & Motorcycles
    20
    17732
    by x9200 View the latest post
    Wed, 11 Sep 2013 5:58 pm
  • Motorcycle Buying Process Question
    by hairball » Sun, 25 Aug 2013 11:16 am » in Cars & Motorcycles
    54
    27460
    by ST_Nepal View the latest post
    Tue, 01 Apr 2014 11:30 pm
  • Motorcycle mechanic
    by dxb625 » Thu, 07 Nov 2013 7:47 am » in Cars & Motorcycles
    5
    3620
    by Strong Eagle View the latest post
    Thu, 07 Nov 2013 11:37 pm
  • Motorcycle COE quota drastically reduced
    by Wd40 » Sun, 02 Feb 2014 1:47 pm » in Cars & Motorcycles
    55
    21622
    by PNGMK View the latest post
    Sat, 22 Apr 2017 6:22 pm

Return to “Cars & Motorcycles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest