Singapore Expats Forum

PR Application status

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
kanth_cost76
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat, 17 Nov 2012

PR Application status

Postby kanth_cost76 » Sat, 17 Nov 2012 12:54 pm

Hi,

I have been working in Singapore since June 2010 and paid tax twice.
I applied for PR on 22nd May 2012 (for myself,wife and child).
Last week, I received a form from ICA to fill-up the full details of my family members and my spouse's family members.

Is it a positive indication towards PR approval??

Any such procedural experiences??

One more point is.. I have been on P1 and have the IPA (In Principle Approval) for PEP as well, but didn't collect PEP yet.. anticipating the PR...
I have time to collect PEP from MOM till mid of Jan'13.

Thanks in advance for sharing inputs.

Best regards

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Sat, 17 Nov 2012 1:12 pm

kanth_cost76 wrote:Hi,

I have been working in Singapore since June 2010 and paid tax twice.
I applied for PR on 22nd May 2012 (for myself,wife and child).
Last week, I received a form from ICA to fill-up the full details of my family members and my spouse's family members.

Is it a positive indication towards PR approval??

Any such procedural experiences??

One more point is.. I have been on P1 and have the IPA (In Principle Approval) for PEP as well, but didn't collect PEP yet.. anticipating the PR...
I have time to collect PEP from MOM till mid of Jan'13.

Thanks in advance for sharing inputs.

Best regards


Collect the PEP now, before the new requirements and shorter duration go into effect December 1st. It won't cause any negative impact on your PR application.

And yes, when ICA asks for that information it is generally a positive sign. So far, they haven't found a reason to deny your application.

kanth_cost76
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat, 17 Nov 2012

Postby kanth_cost76 » Sat, 17 Nov 2012 1:18 pm

Wow...that sounds good.

I will act upon PEP now. Thanks for the advice. Will keep you posted with updates.

Thanks

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 17 Nov 2012 3:30 pm

kanth_cost76 wrote:Wow...that sounds good.

I will act upon PEP now. Thanks for the advice. Will keep you posted with updates.

Thanks


Remember one thing though. If you applied for both PR and PEP, one is with ICA and the other is with MOM. ICA requires ANY changes to you status to be reported to ICA to update your application (by law). Once they realized that you were granted the PEP just prior to the new minimum requirements, if you don't have the new minimums, they may go back and relook at whether you should be a PR or not. I don't know. I know I would not have advised you to apply for both though. Your actions smell of desperation and its possible that ICA will pick up on that......

my 2¢ only.
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Sun, 18 Nov 2012 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Sat, 17 Nov 2012 8:14 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Remember one thing though. If you applied for both PR and PEP, one is with ICA and the other is with MOM. ICA requires ANY changes to you status to be reported to ICA to update your application (by law). Once they realized that you were granted the PEP just prior to the new minimum requirements, if you don't have the new minimums, they may go back and relook at whether you should be a PR or not. I don't know. I know I would not have advised you to apply for both though. Your actions smell of desperation and its possible that ICA will pick up on that......

my 2¢ only.


I tend to agree. Looks like a PR/visa grabbing stunt.
Now I'm called PNGMK

kanth_cost76
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat, 17 Nov 2012

Postby kanth_cost76 » Sat, 17 Nov 2012 9:04 pm

So..is it better not to collect PEP at this stage and wait for PR outcome??

Callput
Regular
Regular
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu, 08 Nov 2012

Postby Callput » Sat, 17 Nov 2012 9:41 pm

kanth_cost76 wrote:So..is it better not to collect PEP at this stage and wait for PR outcome??


Makes no difference whether you take the PEP now or in Jan, you PR approval or rejection is going to take a lot longer than that. I am in the same boat as you and I know another person in the boat. We have been asked to submit details of family members and it is already 2-3 months and yet pending.

So what you have initiated, just finish it. Take that damned PEP and enjoy for the next 2 years.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Sat, 17 Nov 2012 10:50 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Remember one thing though. If you applied for both PR and PEP, one is with ICA and the other is with MOM. ICA requires ANY changes to you status to be reported to ICA to update your application (by law). Once they realized that you were granted the PEP just prior to the new minimum requirements, if you don't have the new minimums, they may go back and relook at whether you should be a PR or not. I don't know. I know I would not have advised you to apply for both though. Your actions smell of desperation and its possible that ICA will pick up on that......

my 2¢ only.


I tend to agree. Looks like a PR/visa grabbing stunt.


Well... it is? I mean, by applying for a PR they're basically telling ICA that they would like to stay here forever. If they don't, then ICA should be rejecting them, right? If I were an agent, I would actually wonder "Why didn't you collect your PEP if you wanted to stay here permanently?"

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9320
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Sat, 17 Nov 2012 11:22 pm

He already applied and had the PEP granted so collecting it or not does not change the concerns at the applications stage. And I bet more people collect the pass immediately after it is granted so this would be pretty natural move and should not trigger any suspicions.
For the application part the only concern IMO would be if he was seen as trying to abuse the system (by circumventing the new regulations/limits for instance). The fact he wants to get PR or PEP if the first unsuccessful is neutral as obviously he wants to stay in SG longer so these are the legal and natural means to do it.

kanth_cost76
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat, 17 Nov 2012

Postby kanth_cost76 » Sun, 18 Nov 2012 11:35 am

Hi,

My sincere thanks to everybody for sharing their views.

One basic doubt about PEP:

As I was granted PEP (of course, still to be collected by me from MOM) on the basis of old(existing) eligibility criteria, If I collect it before 1st Dec 2012, still I should be able to show them an annual fixed salary of S$1,44,000 per year starting from 01st Dec 2012 / next financial year... is my understanding correct??

As my current fixed salary is slightly lesser than this limit and assuming that it will NOT reach 144000 in next one year, what would be the situation then?? MOM will cancel my PEP after 1 year (say in 2013 or 2014)??

If the answer is "Yes", then I feel it's better to continue on company's EP and wait for the PR outcome.

Please advice.

Regards

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Sun, 18 Nov 2012 11:45 am

kanth_cost76 wrote:Hi,

My sincere thanks to everybody for sharing their views.

One basic doubt about PEP:

As I was granted PEP (of course, still to be collected by me from MOM) on the basis of old(existing) eligibility criteria, If I collect it before 1st Dec 2012, still I should be able to show them an annual fixed salary of S$1,44,000 per year starting from 01st Dec 2012 / next financial year... is my understanding correct??

As my current fixed salary is slightly lesser than this limit and assuming that it will NOT reach 144000 in next one year, what would be the situation then?? MOM will cancel my PEP after 1 year (say in 2013 or 2014)??

If the answer is "Yes", then I feel it's better to continue on company's EP and wait for the PR outcome.

Please advice.

Regards


If you get a PEP under the old criteria, you will need to meet the new salary requirements by 31 Dec 2014.

More important though, a PEP now will be valid for five years. New ones will only be valid for three years. I would get it ASAP and hope you meet salary requirements at that time. But that's just me.

Callput
Regular
Regular
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu, 08 Nov 2012

Postby Callput » Sun, 18 Nov 2012 12:10 pm

Yeah zzm is right that's why I told him take it now or In jan makes no difference. You have 2 years to enjoys it.

Also don't get too excited about the PR just because you have been asked additional details. I know some people with ordinary profile and Indian who have been asked for additional details and still pending.

Take the PEP and run.

kanth_cost76
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat, 17 Nov 2012

Postby kanth_cost76 » Sun, 18 Nov 2012 7:02 pm

Hi Callput, what do you mean by "ordinary profile"?? :-).....just to know.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 18 Nov 2012 8:45 pm

kanth_cost76 wrote:Hi Callput, what do you mean by "ordinary profile"?? :-).....just to know.


Okay, let me try to shed some light on what I was trying to get across earlier.

From his nick, I'm guessing that the OP is Indian. (Actually this a fact). He might pull it off but, from the face of it, because of his ethnicity, ICA is going to see someone who so represents so many of his brethren insomuch as in exactly 2 years he's applied for PR (or maybe less than two years if he actually put in the application before July 2012. The fact that he has also put in a PEP application (as a backup?) and the fact that the majority of his countrymen who have taken up PR are not doing so for the permanency but for what they can milk the system for, I'm reasonably sure that it appears to ICA that the applicant is just another P1 from the subcontinent trying to ensure that they won't get bounced out of the country as things tighten up on foreigners and Indians in particular.

However, given his current position here, who knows, he might pull it off, but I'm not going to bet my money on it. I'd grab the PEP as well if he feels unsure about his current position.

Callput
Regular
Regular
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu, 08 Nov 2012

Postby Callput » Sun, 18 Nov 2012 11:48 pm

And to make matters worse, he has applied for PEP, has the approval and now has second thoughts on whether to take it or not, If I was ICA, I would wonder, why has he not taken the PEP pass yet, may be because he is just treating as a back up and wasting our time and money, what is the guarantee that he wont do the same with PR. May be after approving him for PR, he has second thoughts again about converting to the blue IC. I would rather reject him right away.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests