Singapore Expats

Bankruptcy situation related questions (while on EP)

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
sam_g13

Bankruptcy situation related questions (while on EP)

Post by sam_g13 » Fri, 16 Nov 2012 10:25 pm

Hi All,

Looking to get some expert advice here. Sorry if I am posting in wrong category. I already searched regarding this but could not find any exact situation as I am in (or going to be in)

So here is the situation:

I am currently on EP (since past three years).
Due to personal emergencies (Father's sickness and birth of child), I had to take some loans from banks here and use my credit cards. Untill last month I was able to pay more than the minimum required sum but in last month I have missed it as my expenses kept rolling over and savings became tinier. I have a total debt of 10-times my monthly salary (nearly 70K+ debt in total) to 3 different banks. I am worried that soon I will be in a situation where the Banks will start chasing me.. As I have to pay nearly 30% of the salary as rent, and then I have expenses for newborn, travel, food, electricity and others... at most I can manage with is about 20-25% of the salary in repaying the amounts, but as the amounts are huge I dont think this much would be enough for repaying the minimum every month.. and also repaying the minimum will lead me no where as the interest will keep on adding.

I have no other source of income (cannot get any other payment on EP) and my wife also doesn't work, however she may be able to get an LOC and raise some money but that is a long shot and with the newborn at home it is not something that I want her to do.

I am very much worried that if I go into such a situation where I have to file for personal Bankruptcy will it affect my EP renewal, or will it affect my job? I have read on numerous websites and blog that it should not affect job (for locals) as the court (and the creditors) would like me to remain productive so as to recover money from me, but I am not sure how does it work for foreigners.. please note that I am not try to evade the amounts I have to pay, I am just not in a situation to clear off all at once ..
Also, I read about CCS (credit counseling services) and other debt management agencies, but I am not sure how much can I rely on them.

To summarize:
1. If I land in a situation where I am not able to keep up with the repayments, is it best option to file for personal bankruptcy?
2. Will bankruptcy affect my Employment pass (current valid for next half year) and renewals after that? While its obviously too ironic that if I am not allowed EP then whatever I could pay back that also would not come.
3. How many weeks/months it takes to apply and get the bankruptcy status?
4. In a situation if I dont apply for personal bankruptcy but any bank files a case on me (I will still go to bankruptcy status) - but how long do the banks wait before taking a legal action? Somewhere I read it is 90 days of non-payment, is it correct?

Sorry that it is such a big question, but I hope to get some advice from here, also hope that it can help someone like me in the future.

I have heard/read about some other such people who did a runner to their home country but I do not want to do anything like that, my best intention is to repay but I just dont have enough dough as of now...

thanks,
Sam

chuckd
Regular
Regular

Post by chuckd » Fri, 16 Nov 2012 10:58 pm

I would say that CCS would be a good option, they appear to have some very knowledgeable people, and even if you don't quailfy for their direct assistance (i.e. Debt Management Plan) the counselling they offer at a very nominal fee will at least help you to understand your situation and what options are available to you.

In order to proceed with CCS you have to visit one of their regular free introduction sessions. From there you can fill in a form requesting counselling, they will also provide you with information on self administration if you decide to go it alone and sort things out yourself.

(I have just recently accompanied a friend to the introductory meeting and I was impressed with the presentation and support they seem to offer. Even allowed me to reflect on my own debts.....plus it was eye opening to see how many other people were in attendance....I'd guess something like 400 people were there.)
--
Chuck

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sat, 17 Nov 2012 9:16 am

Bankruptcy here is not as terrible as you think. It will mess up your ability to borrow money again but I don't know what effect it has on your EP. HOWEVER, it's best to avoid it. $70k on a 7k salary is fixable with a good debt consolidation program - the idea is to roll up all those debts into a single loan at a lower interest rate. Those CC's are running at 24% or higher... and you need to get them down to a much lower rate.
Now I'm called PNGMK

addiegirl

Post by addiegirl » Sun, 18 Nov 2012 4:24 am

If your acct is past due, the bank will want to collect payment and are almost always willing to do payment arrangements. Call them about it. I'm not sure if banks here have collection departments that handles such concerns but if they dont have a dedicated team or department, ask to speak to a supervisor. Given the quality of customer services here in sg, speaking directly to a supervisor will save you time and emotions.

I dont really know how it works here but in the us, the bank will ask how much you can afford to pay each month and on what day. Just be honest with them and when the arrangement is made, pay the debts religiously and keep it current.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Callput
Regular
Regular

Post by Callput » Tue, 20 Nov 2012 2:15 pm

Have you considered leaving the house and moving to a common room? You will then not be paying 30% on rent anymore. Another option is to sublet a room to somebody.

Borrow from your relatives back home, sell some assets?

sam_g13

Post by sam_g13 » Thu, 22 Nov 2012 7:40 pm

Hi All,

Thank you all for the responses, it gives me some hope.

@Caliput I have rental agreement for 2 years so cannnot move, already have opted for subletting a room. Don't have any assets :-( nor can borrow.
I am trying to talk with banks and negotiate something, hopefully things should work out.

thanks and regards,
Sam

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Thu, 22 Nov 2012 9:01 pm

Although I would not normally recommend this - desperate times and desperate straights - I would stop paying rent and move out leaving some deposit for goodwill if you truly plan to go bankrupt and I would begin plans to move to a cheaper place using that cash. Your landlords accounts will be included in your bankruptcy and he will be paid whatever the final settlement is (and of course he has a deposit).
Now I'm called PNGMK