Expat Advice

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Post Reply
JBoogie
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 6:06 am
Location: Australia

Expat Advice

Post by JBoogie » Fri, 16 Nov 2012 7:23 am

Hi,

I'm currently a web developer, who has found work in Singapore.
I just wanted to get some advice and opinions. I'm currently living in Australia and have been offered a position in a Media Company. I've been offered $3500 during probation period, and $3800 thereafter.

I'm not too sure if this is low for an expat or if i should keep looking?
I've also heard entitlements for Lodging and travel, is this standard for most jobs?

Thanks in advance guys :)

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5274
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 6:29 pm
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Expat Advice

Post by the lynx » Fri, 16 Nov 2012 8:30 am

JBoogie wrote:Hi,

I'm currently a web developer, who has found work in Singapore.
I just wanted to get some advice and opinions. I'm currently living in Australia and have been offered a position in a Media Company. I've been offered $3500 during probation period, and $3800 thereafter.

I'm not too sure if this is low for an expat or if i should keep looking?
I've also heard entitlements for Lodging and travel, is this standard for most jobs?

Thanks in advance guys :)
You, my friend, have been offered a local package, not expat package. Just curious, are you a recent graduate or a long-timer in your industry?

JBoogie
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 6:06 am
Location: Australia

Post by JBoogie » Fri, 16 Nov 2012 8:43 am

Thanks for your reply,
I graduated last year, but have been working full time as a dev for around 2 years..


Should i be looking around more? or use this to get my foot in the door, then scout for more jobs?

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8348
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Fri, 16 Nov 2012 8:50 am

Looks marginally acceptable, a tad bit on the low side though. High for a local package. If the company, however, will provide lodging and travel allowances, might be ok and not bad for several years experience (depending on type of lodging of course).

Some things to consider:

* how much are you making in Australia?
* income tax in Singapore is really low
* how much are your living expenses a month?
* rent is s#!+ expensive in Singapore, much more than Sydney

Most definitely not a long time prospect unless you really fall in love in Singapore.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 9:45 pm

Re: Expat Advice

Post by offshoreoildude » Fri, 16 Nov 2012 9:03 am

JBoogie wrote:Hi,

I'm currently a web developer, who has found work in Singapore.
I just wanted to get some advice and opinions. I'm currently living in Australia and have been offered a position in a Media Company. I've been offered $3500 during probation period, and $3800 thereafter.

I'm not too sure if this is low for an expat or if i should keep looking?
I've also heard entitlements for Lodging and travel, is this standard for most jobs?

Thanks in advance guys :)
Ouch. Rent will wipe out all of that unless you share and even then you're out almost $1500 before you start.
Now I'm called PNGMK

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8348
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Re: Expat Advice

Post by nakatago » Fri, 16 Nov 2012 9:16 am

offshoreoildude wrote:
JBoogie wrote:Hi,

I'm currently a web developer, who has found work in Singapore.
I just wanted to get some advice and opinions. I'm currently living in Australia and have been offered a position in a Media Company. I've been offered $3500 during probation period, and $3800 thereafter.

I'm not too sure if this is low for an expat or if i should keep looking?
I've also heard entitlements for Lodging and travel, is this standard for most jobs?

Thanks in advance guys :)
Ouch. Rent will wipe out all of that unless you share and even then you're out almost $1500 before you start.
He needs to definitely share. However, he also needs to clarify if the lodging and travel he heard about is from his would-be company or just something he heard about other companies through the grapevine.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JBoogie
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 6:06 am
Location: Australia

Post by JBoogie » Fri, 16 Nov 2012 9:23 am

I'm not too sure what the market is like, but 'Web developers" seem to be undercut by locals ie salaries based around 2000-2500 a month...

Do you think this would be a good start getting my foot in the door? I guess im thinking if i get there and stay for a year i can network and find more opportunities ?

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8348
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Fri, 16 Nov 2012 9:28 am

JBoogie wrote:Do you think this would be a good start getting my foot in the door? I guess im thinking if i get there and stay for a year i can network and find more opportunities ?
That will be tough since you'll be competing against cheaper labor unless you're a rockstar developer. But this is Asia; it's almost always about the money. Moreover, the country's policies are gradually getting rid of foreign workers in favor of local 'talent'--such as those locals who are going for 2500-2800 a month. Safe to say, your foot won't stay in for a long time.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

User avatar
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 11:28 am
Location: Chocolate Factory

Post by v4jr4 » Fri, 16 Nov 2012 9:41 am

nakatago wrote:
JBoogie wrote:Do you think this would be a good start getting my foot in the door? I guess im thinking if i get there and stay for a year i can network and find more opportunities ?
That will be tough since you'll be competing against cheaper labor unless you're a rockstar developer. But this is Asia; it's almost always about the money. Moreover, the country's policies are gradually getting rid of foreign workers in favor of local 'talent'--such as those locals who are going for 2500-2800 a month. Safe to say, your foot won't stay in for a long time.
Assuming OP is around 25, I guess EP is not on the list. Perhaps OP still can manage to get SP.
"Budget Expat"

JBoogie
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 6:06 am
Location: Australia

Post by JBoogie » Fri, 16 Nov 2012 10:01 am

v4jr4 wrote:
nakatago wrote:
JBoogie wrote:Do you think this would be a good start getting my foot in the door? I guess im thinking if i get there and stay for a year i can network and find more opportunities ?
That will be tough since you'll be competing against cheaper labor unless you're a rockstar developer. But this is Asia; it's almost always about the money. Moreover, the country's policies are gradually getting rid of foreign workers in favor of local 'talent'--such as those locals who are going for 2500-2800 a month. Safe to say, your foot won't stay in for a long time.
Assuming OP is around 25, I guess EP is not on the list. Perhaps OP still can manage to get SP.
Hi could you please kindly elaborate why EP is not on the list?


Just to put it all in perspective, I wanted to get a job in SG (which i have) so I could network and find more job opportunities say after a year?
Also I'm thinking of setting up a company, for consulting and doing extra work. I have a business plan in the process, is this possible with an EP?

I'm currently 24 (you were close!)

Thankyou kindly for everyone's advice :)

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8348
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Fri, 16 Nov 2012 10:04 am

JBoogie wrote:
v4jr4 wrote:
nakatago wrote: That will be tough since you'll be competing against cheaper labor unless you're a rockstar developer. But this is Asia; it's almost always about the money. Moreover, the country's policies are gradually getting rid of foreign workers in favor of local 'talent'--such as those locals who are going for 2500-2800 a month. Safe to say, your foot won't stay in for a long time.
Assuming OP is around 25, I guess EP is not on the list. Perhaps OP still can manage to get SP.
Hi could you please kindly elaborate why EP is not on the list?


Just to put it all in perspective, I wanted to get a job in SG (which i have) so I could network and find more job opportunities say after a year?
Also I'm thinking of setting up a company, for consulting and doing extra work. I have a business plan in the process, is this possible with an EP?

I'm currently 24 (you were close!)

Thankyou kindly for everyone's advice :)
http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... fault.aspx

No, you can't set up a business/moonlight/freelance on an EP/SP/QP. Please use the search function since it has been asked before.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

User avatar
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 11:28 am
Location: Chocolate Factory

Post by v4jr4 » Fri, 16 Nov 2012 10:30 am

JBoogie wrote:
v4jr4 wrote:
nakatago wrote: That will be tough since you'll be competing against cheaper labor unless you're a rockstar developer. But this is Asia; it's almost always about the money. Moreover, the country's policies are gradually getting rid of foreign workers in favor of local 'talent'--such as those locals who are going for 2500-2800 a month. Safe to say, your foot won't stay in for a long time.
Assuming OP is around 25, I guess EP is not on the list. Perhaps OP still can manage to get SP.
Hi could you please kindly elaborate why EP is not on the list?


Just to put it all in perspective, I wanted to get a job in SG (which i have) so I could network and find more job opportunities say after a year?
Also I'm thinking of setting up a company, for consulting and doing extra work. I have a business plan in the process, is this possible with an EP?

I'm currently 24 (you were close!)

Thankyou kindly for everyone's advice :)
Perhaps you can try this: http://sat.mom.gov.sg/satservlet
While it does not guarantee the actual outcome, it's worth to try.
"Budget Expat"

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 9:45 pm

Post by offshoreoildude » Fri, 16 Nov 2012 11:13 am

Even if it's only for a year I'd encourage you to come up. You'll be on the bones of your ass drinking in coffee shops, eating $2.50 chicken rice and living in a rented room but it's a great life experience not to be missed. Also the girls are much easier to pick up here than those obnoxious Melbourne princesses :)
Now I'm called PNGMK

JBoogie
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 6:06 am
Location: Australia

Update on Employment in Singapore

Post by JBoogie » Sat, 19 Oct 2013 6:54 pm

Hey All,

I haven't been on this forum for almost a year but just wanted to give an idea of whats happened since i got here.

Since working here my first company was cheating me with my salary saying they would offer $3800 after confirmation which they never did. I could of taken it further, but there was too much of a bad taste in my mouth after this incident.

As i mentioned here i wanted to network and meet others to find better job opportunities. I ended up changing jobs within my first 6 months as I managed to find another company from freelancing. I ended up moving there for a salary of $3800 (was only an increase of $300) which has a much better working environment, and colleagues.

Through my stay here I got to meet a lot of entrepreneurs and managed to land another job opportunity this time at $6000. I applied for my new Epass and got pre approved. As i was about to quit the current company i was employed in to move to the startup, they decided to keep me. They ended up matching that same salary, with extra benefits. I decided my current company was much safer in the long term rather than moving to the startup company, which had more risk, so i decided to stay.

I also managed to register and setup my business in Singapore, and am in the midst of launching it officially next month, so looking forward to that. This whole year seems like it was all about getting setup, but now everything is starting to stabilize.

To each their own..

User avatar
PNGMK
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8646
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Update on Employment in Singapore

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 19 Oct 2013 7:59 pm

JBoogie wrote:Hey All,

I haven't been on this forum for almost a year but just wanted to give an idea of whats happened since i got here.

Since working here my first company was cheating me with my salary saying they would offer $3800 after confirmation which they never did. I could of taken it further, but there was too much of a bad taste in my mouth after this incident.

As i mentioned here i wanted to network and meet others to find better job opportunities. I ended up changing jobs within my first 6 months as I managed to find another company from freelancing. I ended up moving there for a salary of $3800 (was only an increase of $300) which has a much better working environment, and colleagues.

Through my stay here I got to meet a lot of entrepreneurs and managed to land another job opportunity this time at $6000. I applied for my new Epass and got pre approved. As i was about to quit the current company i was employed in to move to the startup, they decided to keep me. They ended up matching that same salary, with extra benefits. I decided my current company was much safer in the long term rather than moving to the startup company, which had more risk, so i decided to stay.

I also managed to register and setup my business in Singapore, and am in the midst of launching it officially next month, so looking forward to that. This whole year seems like it was all about getting setup, but now everything is starting to stabilize.

To each their own..
Excellent!

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests