Singapore Expats

PR rejected - a few thoughts.

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
carcrazymadman

PR rejected - a few thoughts.

Post by carcrazymadman » Thu, 15 Nov 2012 5:25 pm

Hi all,

First time poster but long time user (well 1 year!) and all the info on here has been very helpful. Just wanted a few people's thoughts on my PR application as well as my wife's.

We are both in our late 20s, no kids and work for MOHH as medical doctors. We trained in the UK and worked there for 3 years before moving over here at the end of October 2011. I am British chinese (British citizen but parents born in Malaysia) and my wife is Malaysian chinese.

We applied for PR separately in July 2012 but when we submitted our documents the clerk placed all our files together in the hope that they would be seen by the same duty officer. Two and a half months down the line I receive the dreaded 'Unfortunately your PR has been rejected but you can continue to work on a valid work pass' which looks like a nail in the coffin of any future PR applications for me.

My wife's application, on the other hand, is still pending and I wonder what people's thoughts are on her chances of PR. I would have thought if they wanted to reject her as well it would have been around the same time as my rejection.

Thanks all.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 15 Nov 2012 5:46 pm

I'd say do everything in your power to get an appeal. For some reason, it looks like the file was separated. However, having said that, you have not been here on EP for more than two years yet so that may well be the reason it was rejected. What may a generated it was the filing separately after coming here together. As to why hers is still pending I don't have a clue, unless it was split for some reason. They are swamped at ICA and there have been some bad/wrong decisions made as of late, due primarily to the shear volume of applications.

I would seriously appeal it though.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Callput
Regular
Regular

Post by Callput » Thu, 15 Nov 2012 5:52 pm

If you were on this forum for more than a year, why did you decide to apply seperately and then whats the point if the officer keeps them close together. 2 files are 2 files. There could be various reasons why they got seperated. May be because there are seperate timelines for British Chinese vs Malaysian Chinese, hence different buckets? Anybody's guess.

The advice on this forum has always been to apply together in a single application.

The officer might have just looked at your file and thought, "why hasn't he included his wife, hmmmm..." so "Reject" or if he had the time to look up for any seperate applications by dependents, your wife's might have come up and he might have thought "Wow! So innovative, seperate applications, lets me become smart also, let me reject this fellow, he is British anyways. His wife's application is for the other officer to deal with". Again, anybody's guess.

Now as SMS says, the best you can do is to appeal.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Thu, 15 Nov 2012 7:49 pm

There's a quota on medical doctors I suspect and it may have been met for this 'period'. If you both faily reapply next year.
Now I'm called PNGMK

carcrazymadman

Post by carcrazymadman » Thu, 15 Nov 2012 9:05 pm

Thanks for the info so far. We only applied separately because the clerk who double checked all our documents suggested for us to do so. We actually had two sets of documents; separate and joined but the clerk suggested handing in the separate documents so we were not deemed 'dependant' on each other. It was also the clerk's decision to put our applications together not our own. So we let her do it as she seemed keen to help.

Either way we'll just wait for my wife's result and if rejected then we'll apply again at a later date.