Singapore Expats Forum

DUTCH Community

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
lis
Regular
Regular

DUTCH Community

Postby lis » Mon, 05 Apr 2004 5:54 pm

Need HELP !! As hubby is ALWAYS Workin & ME to busy lookin after the kids ( WE DONT have a maid so most of the time we stay at home as baby sitter can be expensive ), we are Always STUCK at home
and Now ..I think Hubby is missing home :roll: Town badly ..........
ANy Dutch or any mix marriages couples so we can get to know and make new friends ??Drop me aline ............

Krak

Postby Krak » Tue, 06 Apr 2004 11:43 am

Try the Hollandse Club, that may be good for you.

Onto domestic assiatnce, there is a previous post on this board from a part-time maid. It can be relatively cheap, may be worth asking the question if you want some free time during the week.

lis
Regular
Regular

Tanxs

Postby lis » Tue, 06 Apr 2004 11:58 am

Hi ! Thanks ..but did check out the club but we dont really like the ones that go for membership & will check out the partime babaysitter too... :D

NBB

Postby NBB » Tue, 06 Apr 2004 2:41 pm

Geen paniek :) Zat leuke dingetjes te doen hoor. Waar gaan je interesses naar uit? Geef me 'n idee, wellicht kan ik je een aantal suggesties doen?

Hou je van strand? Zeil of surf je? Of ben je meer een cultuur type?

Keep in touch.

Doei doei.

NBB

NBB

Postby NBB » Tue, 06 Apr 2004 2:43 pm

P.S. I'm a member of The Dutch Club :lol:

Maar ik snap wat je bedoelt :)

NBB

lis
Regular
Regular

De Ja Vu

Postby lis » Tue, 06 Apr 2004 3:10 pm

Been there before ...I mean ........Was in Holland last week....so U see...COmunication Major Breakdown.......I dont understand Dutch eventhou livin with one.... :?
Now......maybe will have to pick up some before goin there again....Its so DiFFICULT to be in a conversation when everybody is Speakin Dutch :cry: .....Had lessons few years back but stop as the lady that teaches have to go back to Holland.....
Well..........Love Holland but to live there ...I dunno yet :wink:

NBB

Postby NBB » Tue, 06 Apr 2004 5:39 pm

Perhaps you guys should hang out in mixed company?

I lived in Singapore, but it was more common to speak English even among us Dutchies because you tend to lose your Dutch fluency anyway, but also because it's common courtesy to the English speakers in the company with you.

But, yeah, some hard-core Dutch people will stubbornly stick to Dutch. :(

I was going to suggest ECSC. It's very casual, mostly cosmpolitan people, laid back and friendly. Occasionally, you bump into a KLM pilot or some cabin crew, so you can brush up your Dutch when you like, as well. :)

Good luck!

NBB

GIGI

Hi dutchy!

Postby GIGI » Tue, 12 Oct 2004 9:43 pm

Hi,
I am not Dutch, but stay in Holland for sometime for trainning. great weather!! in summer. I have some dutch friends but they don't live in Singapore !! :cry: I'm now working in Singapore also would like to make new friends,,, just can do soem sport, exchange opinion or out explore singapore sometime.. do somethings nice

can find me as below email :wink:
chiangmai_2@hotmail.com

dyslexic_alien

Postby dyslexic_alien » Fri, 10 Feb 2006 12:39 pm

NBB wrote:Geen paniek :) Zat leuke dingetjes te doen hoor. Waar gaan je interesses naar uit? Geef me 'n idee, wellicht kan ik je een aantal suggesties doen?

Hou je van strand? Zeil of surf je? Of ben je meer een cultuur type?

Keep in touch.

Doei doei.

NBB

Dit is leuk! well, zon, strand een zee! is er allemaal in SG? hehehe, nee, sorrie, I was just kidding, NBB :grin:

I haven't been to the Hollandse Club even though I am now staying with a typical Kaaskop (thats what he says he is n he doesnt like cheese for the record, hahahah!) and a typical Belgian (loves beers and food) who has stayed in NL all his life.

:::Having 2 Dutch speaking people under 1 roof is like doing an Integration Course in Singapore, but I often wonder who is the one integrating, and who is the one being integrated. giggles!:::

katje

Postby katje » Fri, 10 Feb 2006 12:45 pm

NBB wrote:
I was going to suggest ECSC. It's very casual, mostly cosmpolitan people, laid back and friendly. Occasionally, you bump into a KLM pilot or some cabin crew, so you can brush up your Dutch when you like, as well. :)

Good luck!

NBB

Wats ECSC actually? and may I know where is it located? thanks!

schizoide

Postby schizoide » Tue, 14 Feb 2006 6:01 pm

funny that dutch people abroad always like to hang out with other dutch people.

integrationcourse anyone? haha. i think these 'new singaporeans' need to be educated how to 'fit in' into singaporean society.

schizoide

Postby schizoide » Tue, 14 Feb 2006 6:03 pm

and i think it should be encouraged to speak singlish in public and not dutch (which is rude) :)

dyslexic_alien

Postby dyslexic_alien » Wed, 15 Feb 2006 10:07 am

Hahaha! That's a good one schizoide! If speaking in other languages in NL is considered rude, then they speaking to Dutch in Singapore is indeed considered rude because it is not in any of the four commonly used language here namely English, Mandarin, Malay nor Tamil!

Also, I was "nicely" orientated into the "niceness" of "Dutch manners" as mentioned by Mr Kaaskop at home. OMG... Dutch manners means letting ladies pay for the cab fare because it is decadent to take a cab (IN THE RAIN!!), even in Singapore. Come on, the starting fare here is SGD2.40, and the trip is not even like its 24Euros or what..

Dutch manners also mean letting ladies take a chair and put it by the table for a guy without saying even a word of "thank you" or a smile.

Dutch Manners indeed!

dean

Dutch community

Postby dean » Wed, 15 Feb 2006 1:46 pm

Hi,
I'm not Dutch I'm from the U.K. but I lived in Holland for 11 years, speak fluent Dutch and had a great time there :-) Whereabouts is your hubbies hometown? Where are you from? We're based in Holland village of all places so it might be possible to meet up if you're round there.

Regards
Dean
Without question the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention but the wheel doesn't go nearly as well with pizza - Dave Barry

My Singapore Web page :-
http://www.theblackadder.co.uk/Singapore/

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Wed, 15 Feb 2006 10:23 pm

dyslexic_alien wrote:Dutch manners means letting ladies pay for the cab fare because it is decadent to take a cab (IN THE RAIN!!), even in Singapore. Come on, the starting fare here is SGD2.40, and the trip is not even like its 24Euros or what..

Dutch manners also mean letting ladies take a chair and put it by the table for a guy without saying even a word of "thank you" or a smile

Manners? Surely you jest! Tight-fisted behaviour only seen in Dutchies? Huh?

These are two characteristics of Singaporeans that are, shall we say, less than desirable. People here will do a lot to save 50c and think nothing of living at home to save on rent (yeah, yeah it's expensive :roll: ) And as for the "magic words" - don't hear those too often here either. Sweeping generalisations of course, but you understand, right? :P