Singapore Expats Forum

Chances of getting PR

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
Image
The Club Residences

goby777
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon, 31 May 2010

Chances of getting PR

Postby goby777 » Mon, 12 Nov 2012 9:05 pm

Husband: P1 for last 7 months; British National Overseas (HK Citizen); 7 years working experience.

Wife: Q1 just got approved recently, PRC passport holder


What is the chance of getting PR if applying now?

Thanks
Last edited by goby777 on Tue, 13 Nov 2012 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35175
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 12 Nov 2012 10:46 pm

goby777 wrote:Husband: P1 for last 7 months; British National Overseas (HK Citizen); 7 years IT working experience.

Wife: Q1 just got approved recently, PRC passport holder (with more than 5 years working visa from another country),

Residing in Singapore since May 2012.

What is the chance of getting PR if applying now?

Thanks


Zero. Honestly. Unless one or both of you have been here for AT LEAST two years and have had three tax assessments, it's not going to happen. Additionally, the fact that he already has PR in HK, makes him look like a PR abuser before you even get out of the starting blocks.

I wouldn't hold your breath.

sms
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Tue, 13 Nov 2012 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

goby777
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon, 31 May 2010

Postby goby777 » Mon, 12 Nov 2012 11:03 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Zero. Honestly. Unless one or both of you have been here for AT LEAST two years and have had three tax assessments, it's not going to happen. Additionally, the fact that he already has PR in HK, makes him look like a PR abuser before you even get out of the starting blocks.

I wouldn't hold your breath.

sms


He was born in HK, and got HK PR by default. Howz is this PR abuse? we plan to settle here.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Mon, 12 Nov 2012 11:57 pm

goby777 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Zero. Honestly. Unless one or both of you have been here for AT LEAST two years and have had three tax assessments, it's not going to happen. Additionally, the fact that he already has PR in HK, makes him look like a PR abuser before you even get out of the starting blocks.

I wouldn't hold your breath.

sms


He was born in HK, and got HK PR by default. Howz is this PR abuse? we plan to settle here.


There's a group of people who have PR in the US, Canada, UK, Australia, Leichtenstein, Singapore, etc so that they can hop around when convenient. They don't really plan to settle for good (the "permanent" in permanent residence) but they want the mobility and perks of being PR. There are leagues of them who do this. And they apply for PR even before they set foot in a country.

Singapore thus see most multiple PR holders as such--unfairly or not--and thus treat them as abusers. One way to dispel this misconception is by really staying long term, e.g. following the stated guidelines for PR applications. One of which is having 2 years or more of tax returns.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 13 Nov 2012 3:04 am

goby777 wrote:He was born in HK, and got HK PR by default. Howz is this PR abuse? we plan to settle here.


Wouldn't that make him an HK citizen (British Overseas Territory, or what ever the correct term is), rather than simply a HK-PR?

Callput
Regular
Regular
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu, 08 Nov 2012

Postby Callput » Tue, 13 Nov 2012 3:37 am

nakatago wrote:
goby777 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Zero. Honestly. Unless one or both of you have been here for AT LEAST two years and have had three tax assessments, it's not going to happen. Additionally, the fact that he already has PR in HK, makes him look like a PR abuser before you even get out of the starting blocks.

I wouldn't hold your breath.

sms


He was born in HK, and got HK PR by default. Howz is this PR abuse? we plan to settle here.


There's a group of people who have PR in the US, Canada, UK, Australia, Leichtenstein, Singapore, etc so that they can hop around when convenient. They don't really plan to settle for good (the "permanent" in permanent residence) but they want the mobility and perks of being PR. There are leagues of them who do this. And they apply for PR even before they set foot in a country.

Singapore thus see most multiple PR holders as such--unfairly or not--and thus treat them as abusers. One way to dispel this misconception is by really staying long term, e.g. following the stated guidelines for PR applications. One of which is having 2 years or more of tax returns.


Not dis-agreeing with most of what you said, but wanted to mention, that the only realistic way of immigrating to both Canada and Australia, is to apply and get PR before setting foot into the country. There PRs have almost same privilege like a citizen and most jobs require PR or citizen unlike in Singapore, where foreigners can come over a weekend holiday and land a job offer quickly followed by an EP, lol. I know I am exaggerating but you know its possible or atleast used to be couple of years ago.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9320
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Tue, 13 Nov 2012 7:58 am

It does not matter what is the procedure of getting PR in some other countries. The point is there are people acting like some PR collectors trying to get their feet in any place where they can sniff some real or potential benefits. Singapore is on the map of interests of such people and the government knows too well about it.
If OP's husband is a HK PR by birth I guess he should be fine in respect of this part but still all the rest does not really make up at this moment to a successful PR application.

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1791
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

Re: Chances of getting PR

Postby Mi Amigo » Tue, 13 Nov 2012 8:59 am

goby777 wrote:Husband: P1 for last 7 months; British National Overseas (HK PR); 7 years IT working experience.

Wife: Q1 just got approved recently, PRC passport holder (with more than 5 years working visa from another country),

Residing in Singapore since May 2012.

What is the chance of getting PR if applying now?

Thanks

Please don't take this the wrong way, but looking at it from the ICA's point of view, how certain can you really be that you want to make Singapore your permanent home after being here only 7 months? This is the reason why the standard 'requirement' on the PR form used to be for three years of tax returns to be provided. It's no longer necessary to provide that information explicitly because the ICA can now get all the data they need directly from IRAS. However this is why SMS is suggesting that you wait until you have both been here for at least two years.

Anecdotally it does appear that people from certain country / ethnic group combinations have been able to obtain PR in a shorter time frame (if you do a search of the forum you'll find a lot of discussion about this). However I'm not sure how relevant that would be in your case. You don't mention your husband's ethnicity but that might be a relevant factor.
Last edited by Mi Amigo on Tue, 13 Nov 2012 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be careful what you wish for

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Tue, 13 Nov 2012 9:01 am

Callput wrote:Not dis-agreeing with most of what you said, but wanted to mention, that the only realistic way of immigrating to both Canada and Australia, is to apply and get PR before setting foot into the country. There PRs have almost same privilege like a citizen and most jobs require PR or citizen unlike in Singapore, where foreigners can come over a weekend holiday and land a job offer quickly followed by an EP, lol. I know I am exaggerating but you know its possible or atleast used to be couple of years ago.


Just to point out, PR-ship in Canada and Australia before setting foot is expensive. You need to pay thousands of dollars (for both currencies) and go through series of assessment before you're even considered.

Singapore: Free. You only have to pay for your REP. And that's making the job easy for a lot of PR abusers (unfortunately from the substandard quality because of the no-cost involved).

goby777
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon, 31 May 2010

Postby goby777 » Tue, 13 Nov 2012 9:04 am

Thank you guys for replying. He is hk citizen holding BrItish national overseas passport.

Since husband is in EP1 and wife is also EP(Q1), I thought the chance would be good and no need for staying for such long time, and both EP got approved within a week time.

Callput
Regular
Regular
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu, 08 Nov 2012

Postby Callput » Tue, 13 Nov 2012 10:03 am

the lynx wrote:
Callput wrote:Not dis-agreeing with most of what you said, but wanted to mention, that the only realistic way of immigrating to both Canada and Australia, is to apply and get PR before setting foot into the country. There PRs have almost same privilege like a citizen and most jobs require PR or citizen unlike in Singapore, where foreigners can come over a weekend holiday and land a job offer quickly followed by an EP, lol. I know I am exaggerating but you know its possible or atleast used to be couple of years ago.


Just to point out, PR-ship in Canada and Australia before setting foot is expensive. You need to pay thousands of dollars (for both currencies) and go through series of assessment before you're even considered.

Singapore: Free. You only have to pay for your REP. And that's making the job easy for a lot of PR abusers (unfortunately from the substandard quality because of the no-cost involved).


Cost depends on worth also, even though the PR in CA, AU cost like 3-4k,there are plenty of people with just paper qualifications, queuing up to get it as they know, once they get there they could drive a taxi also and recover the money back.

Singapore on the other hand, if they put up even a meagre fee of say 500$ I won't be surprised if many people just back off as its hard to recover that money, especially if you are in a stable job and don't want to buy hdb :wink:

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1791
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

Postby Mi Amigo » Tue, 13 Nov 2012 10:27 am

goby777 wrote:Thank you guys for replying. He is hk citizen holding BrItish national overseas passport.

Since husband is in EP1 and wife is also EP(Q1), I thought the chance would be good and no need for staying for such long time, and both EP got approved within a week time.

So you are neither the husband nor the wife then? I see that you obliterated many of your posts in a thread from a couple of years ago - what have you got to hide? I do hope you're not going to do the same thing this time; such an action is rather selfish and deprives future forum readers of information that might be helpful to them if they are in similar circumstances.
Be careful what you wish for

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35175
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 13 Nov 2012 11:37 am

So, now at this juncture, we learn that both are Chinese, one from HK & one from the mainland. This will not fly at all unless the timelines are followed. The only possibility I saw AT ALL was the possibility of the husband being Caucasian British born in HK so was given PR on the back of his parents. So, what I said in my initial response still holds. Even moreso now. Chances: Zero. Until you have been here at least 2 years and have had at least 3 tax assessments (can be zero assessments but assessments nonetheless.) Get it quickly? You gotta be dreaming.

Mi Amigo, I've saved a PDF of the thread up to this point just in case.

:wink:

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9320
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Tue, 13 Nov 2012 1:28 pm

S(he) should be already fried for doing what Mi Amigo has pointed to. Should I go ahead or give it the last chance?
(asking as you are engaged in the discussion)

Moderator


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests