Singapore Expats

One Night in KL: Suggestions?

Discuss travel and holidays tips and advice here.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 20 Nov 2012 7:35 pm

Oh one more thing! Don't just show up at Petronas Twin Towers and think you're going to be able to go to the top. You have to buy tickets, and they sell out days in advanced apparently! We went Sunday ~4pm, and were told Sunday was all sold out, and almost everything on Tuesday was sold out too. Wednesday ~50% filled. Mondays are closed. This was quite disappointing. I was able to get some nice photos from the bottom though. Lights come on right around 7pm.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 21 Nov 2012 8:31 am

zzm9980 wrote:One name was something in Vietnamese, the other was "THAI BAR".
With that kind of names for a bar, without a doubt. :-|

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 29 Nov 2012 10:53 am

Oh zzm, mind to share which hotel did you stay in Bukit Bintang and whether you'd recommend it? Need to arrange an accommodation and I'd like to aim for Bukit Bintang this time.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 29 Nov 2012 11:59 am

1.central market -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Ma ... ala_Lumpur

2. batu caves - catch the KTM from KL Sentral 1RM to batu/ 2 RM on the way back

3. Bukit Bitang

4. KLCC

5. a few malls here and there ( they are usually the same no matter what city you go to these days ) avoidable if you ask me

6. try to eat in warm cosy non flashy hole in the wall places in malaysia, they make food so much more better.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 29 Nov 2012 12:04 pm

the lynx wrote:Oh zzm, mind to share which hotel did you stay in Bukit Bintang and whether you'd recommend it? Need to arrange an accommodation and I'd like to aim for Bukit Bintang this time.
I stayed at JW Marriott. It was nice enough, but I would say roughly what I'd expect for the relative cost (cheap compared to other JWs, more than other options in KL).

I did pass this place in the Bukit Changkat area (right off B Bintang):
http://www.anggunkl.com/promotions/room-packages/

It was a pretty nice looking boutique hotel (at least from lobby and outside), and is about half the price of JW. I would probably look at this place if I was going back on my own dime. The only downside if the street was loaded with cheapo hostels/backpacker hotels, but it was near nightlife and good RM2 Roti Canai. :)

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asian_Geekette » Thu, 29 Nov 2012 2:08 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Oh one more thing! Don't just show up at Petronas Twin Towers and think you're going to be able to go to the top. You have to buy tickets, and they sell out days in advanced apparently! We went Sunday ~4pm, and were told Sunday was all sold out, and almost everything on Tuesday was sold out too. Wednesday ~50% filled. Mondays are closed. This was quite disappointing. I was able to get some nice photos from the bottom though. Lights come on right around 7pm.
When I first started going to KL for business trips in 2007, the tickets to the Skybridge used to be free. You just have to queue up for it very early. Then through the years, they changed it to free tickets to paid tickets. Early last year when my sisters visited me in Singapore, we went to KL via the overnight train from the old Tanjong Pagar KTM railway station and we got the tickets to the Skybridge on the morning we arrived in KL. They use to only sell tickets for same day use.
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning