Singapore Expats Forum

ITT - how to win an argument in some parts of Asia

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Re: ITT - how to win an argument in some parts of Asia

Postby Brah » Sat, 22 Dec 2012 1:46 pm

To me that is a way of loosing, or were you joking?

Looking at them straight in the eye and challenging them seems to work every time. Plus everything OSOD said below.

phil30k wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:I've learnt a few techniques over the years... maybe we can share some?

1. Never, ever, let logic get in the way of your argument. This is a western habit - thinking your argument has to be sound and logical for the other person to accept it. In Asia, not so. You can present and win the most illogical argument if you need to.

2. Be prepared to pay a little to win a lot. You don't need to win 100% to win in Asia. Give a bit to save face, and you can take the majority win.

3. Use physical intimidation. Puff out your chest, move into their space, raise your voice. Asians, generally, won't respond with violence to these tactics unlike some westerners.

4. Don't drag in family members, wives or highly emotional words unless you want to lose (the whole relationship in the real sense). Insulting someones mother will lose the argument. Some words - are highly offensive to some people - and they'd rather die than have you win after those words are said.

Others?


That's funny, I think to "win" an argument in Singapore, simply appeal to an authority and play the victim. That's what I do when people force arguments with me. :D

sabaisabai
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun, 16 Dec 2012

Postby sabaisabai » Sat, 22 Dec 2012 6:30 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:In your case, it doesn't matter as I've already got your number and guess what......

It's almost up. :cool:


Thank you SabaiSabai, here is the million dollar question!

What should one do when a 60 or 65 year old tells him his time is almost up?

A. Pity him and get him a $1 mirror from the Chinese hardware shop
B. Laugh and walk off
C. Nominate him as the next PM of Singapore during a condo meeting

Tough choice, I think I would like to use my helpline please.

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Sat, 22 Dec 2012 6:36 pm

Million dollars? Here's my 2 cents -

Stop being a loser and don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.


sabaisabai wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:In your case, it doesn't matter as I've already got your number and guess what......

It's almost up. :cool:


Thank you SabaiSabai, here is the million dollar question!

What should one do when a 60 or 65 year old tells him his time is almost up?

A. Pity him and get him a $1 mirror from the Chinese hardware shop
B. Laugh and walk off
C. Nominate him as the next PM of Singapore during a condo meeting

Tough choice, I think I would like to use my helpline please.

sabaisabai
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun, 16 Dec 2012

Postby sabaisabai » Sat, 22 Dec 2012 7:09 pm

Brah wrote:Million dollars? Here's my 2 cents -

Stop being a loser and don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.


sabaisabai wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:In your case, it doesn't matter as I've already got your number and guess what......

It's almost up. :cool:


Thank you SabaiSabai, here is the million dollar question!

What should one do when a 60 or 65 year old tells him his time is almost up?

A. Pity him and get him a $1 mirror from the Chinese hardware shop
B. Laugh and walk off
C. Nominate him as the next PM of Singapore during a condo meeting

Tough choice, I think I would like to use my helpline please.


What are you talking about? I am about to win a million bucks here!

I would like to call my bud who is a pseudo lawyer. He is the only guy who can get lie detector tests admitted into the SG courts! He will sort this out!

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Sat, 22 Dec 2012 8:40 pm

Tonight, on Saturday Horror Night At The Movies, featuring The Thing That Wouldn't Leave http://vimeo.com/46907376

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34262
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 22 Dec 2012 8:51 pm

Wow, a pseudo human with a pseudo lawyer. I won't use the word friend because even a lawyer wouldn't stoop quite that low to call him a friend or even an acquaintance.

'nuff said. :lol:

sabaisabai
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun, 16 Dec 2012

Postby sabaisabai » Sun, 23 Dec 2012 3:05 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Wow, a pseudo human with a pseudo lawyer. I won't use the word friend because even a lawyer wouldn't stoop quite that low to call him a friend or even an acquaintance.

'nuff said. :lol:


Ouch. Your fingernails are hurting my arm!

I was thinking you are the sort to beat your wife and kids. Then I realised that your wife (who is obviously a lot younger) would easily knock you out with a single punch.

While you sit in the corner, yelling petty insults trying to get even. And come past midnight, you log into your fantasy world of the internet to 'ban' her 'account' before waking up the next morning with dark circles under your eyes cursing the West.

Kind of like...a Singaporean?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34262
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 23 Dec 2012 4:00 pm

Sorry, but you aren't even a good troll. Most trolls would at least do some research before lashing out. In your case, I don't have to do anything as you are making yourself out to be the fool without any assistance from me at all.

Image


Nak, this guy is a riot. Stupidity has no bounds apparently. I didn't know the movie had a sequel. And just like most sequels, to original is always better. Some never learn when to quit. For a guy who is in the sack by 1 am, I didn't realize I spent more time on here after midnight than the 12 hours I'm logged in during the day. :roll: :lol:

sabaisabai
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun, 16 Dec 2012

Postby sabaisabai » Sun, 23 Dec 2012 4:09 pm

Suicide in 1 year's time. You heard it here first.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34262
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 23 Dec 2012 4:20 pm

sabaisabai wrote:Suicide in 1 year's time. You heard it here first.


Look, if you want to leave, you don't have to resort to such an extreme method to go. :-k
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

\:D/

sabaisabai
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun, 16 Dec 2012

Postby sabaisabai » Sun, 23 Dec 2012 4:43 pm

sabaisabai wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:In your case, it doesn't matter as I've already got your number and guess what......

It's almost up. :cool:


Thank you SabaiSabai, here is the million dollar question!

What should one do when a 60 or 65 year old tells him his time is almost up?

A. Pity him and get him a $1 mirror from the Chinese hardware shop
B. Laugh and walk off
C. Nominate him as the next PM of Singapore during a condo meeting

Tough choice, I think I would like to use my helpline please.


Poor grandpa, I doubt he would even last more than half a year. :kiss:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34262
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 23 Dec 2012 4:53 pm

Come on sabaisabai, you are starting to flail like a drowning man clutching at straws, surely you've got better than that. Crap, I thought, for a very fleeting moment, that I had this year's Christmas Troll, but it looks like I'm mistaken, you can't even hold it till Christmas Eve. You are floundering already. Dredging up the same old lines. Come on, dig deeper. I know it's hard, considering how shallow you are, but try. :lol:

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Sun, 23 Dec 2012 5:40 pm

sabaisabai wrote:Suicide in 1 year's time. You heard it here first.

Buh-bye. I'd say you'll be missed but seeing as you're just Troll Of The Week, you will be forgotten well before you off yourself.

Really, it's just a forum, no need for such drama.

But before you do anything rash, dig this*: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrdEMERq8MA#t=0m32s



*extra points for whoever can call this one

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34262
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 23 Dec 2012 5:56 pm

Eric Idle?

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Sun, 23 Dec 2012 6:10 pm

Too easy, no. And not any of the Pythons. Re-read it.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests