Singapore Expats Forum

ITT - how to win an argument in some parts of Asia

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

kikeo
Member
Member
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu, 26 Apr 2012
Location: Jurong West

Postby kikeo » Wed, 14 Nov 2012 9:13 am

Brah wrote:Ok, this just became un-funny.

Two guys were either stupid enough to get what they deserve, or are being set up like others have.

If they did what they say they did, they should get whacked just out of stupidity, and again for the actual crime.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ ... 92/1/.html

2 years jail + caning for hugging/kissing/touching the butt of a woman? And you seriously think they'd deserve something like that?
I think the day I stepped in SG I actually stepped in another dimension, where there is no common sense anymore.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Wed, 14 Nov 2012 9:17 am

kikeo wrote:
Brah wrote:Ok, this just became un-funny.

Two guys were either stupid enough to get what they deserve, or are being set up like others have.

If they did what they say they did, they should get whacked just out of stupidity, and again for the actual crime.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ ... 92/1/.html

2 years jail + caning for hugging/kissing/touching the butt of a woman? And you seriously think they'd deserve something like that?
I think the day I stepped in SG I actually stepped in another dimension, where there is no common sense anymore.


THIS JUST IN: The sky is blue on good days. There are also reports that most fresh grass is green. Symposium at 11.

:P

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1962
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Wed, 14 Nov 2012 9:25 am

Doesn't matter what I think, and that would be missing the point.

Maybe they should update the disembarkation card with something like "Contact with local women, actual or alleged, carries risk of imprisonment and / or caning", right next to the "Death to drug traffickers" warnings.

Common Sense is a location-specific concept that sometimes doesn't travel well. Not that I disagree with you there.

kikeo wrote:
Brah wrote:Ok, this just became un-funny.

Two guys were either stupid enough to get what they deserve, or are being set up like others have.

If they did what they say they did, they should get whacked just out of stupidity, and again for the actual crime.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ ... 92/1/.html

2 years jail + caning for hugging/kissing/touching the butt of a woman? And you seriously think they'd deserve something like that?
I think the day I stepped in SG I actually stepped in another dimension, where there is no common sense anymore.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Wed, 14 Nov 2012 9:57 am

Brah wrote:Maybe they should update the disembarkation card with something like "Contact with local women, actual or alleged, carries risk of imprisonment and / or caning"*, right next to the "Death to drug traffickers" warnings.


Along with:

"* - designer handbags or large cash sums also can"

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Wed, 14 Nov 2012 10:42 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If I were either of the two, I'd demand lie detector tests, if for no other reason that if they are theoretically telling the truth via the tests, it will put the onus on the women. It's been known here for the women to do jail time when found out.

Of course, if their are guilty, they better just hope for Prada or Gucci bags in payment settled out of court.


I just don't get them, these guys. Were they drunk or something? From the news report, it wasn't that these guys 'accidentally' grabbed these women.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Wed, 14 Nov 2012 10:47 am

kikeo wrote:
Brah wrote:Ok, this just became un-funny.

Two guys were either stupid enough to get what they deserve, or are being set up like others have.

If they did what they say they did, they should get whacked just out of stupidity, and again for the actual crime.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ ... 92/1/.html

2 years jail + caning for hugging/kissing/touching the butt of a woman? And you seriously think they'd deserve something like that?
I think the day I stepped in SG I actually stepped in another dimension, where there is no common sense anymore.


At least they are protecting the rights of women (I'm saying in assumption of genuine cases only).

On the other hand, you get celebrated to do that in certain countries :-|

http://leanman.hubpages.com/hub/Saudi-Arabia-Women

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Wed, 14 Nov 2012 10:57 am

Anyone who touches a 54 year old woman's saggy arse needs his head examined.
Now I'm called PNGMK

User avatar
nutnut
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu, 24 Nov 2011
Location: The Mainland....

Postby nutnut » Wed, 14 Nov 2012 8:10 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:Anyone who touches a 54 year old woman's saggy arse needs his head examined.


Here I was thinking I was the only one thinking this! You never fail to disappoint OSOD! ;)
nutnut

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Wed, 14 Nov 2012 8:49 pm

nutnut wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:Anyone who touches a 54 year old woman's saggy arse needs his head examined.


Here I was thinking I was the only one thinking this! You never fail to disappoint OSOD! ;)


It would look like a white flour sack full of jelly beans and probably feel like a cold lump of lard.
Now I'm called PNGMK

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 14 Nov 2012 11:11 pm

the lynx wrote:I just don't get them, these guys. Were they drunk or something?


Is there an election coming; you know a need for 'bash the foreigners' stories? :roll:

sabaisabai
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun, 16 Dec 2012

Postby sabaisabai » Sun, 16 Dec 2012 11:11 pm

Callput wrote:Its hard to get into an argument with Asians. They are just too polite, that even if they disagree, they wont tell it on your face, like westerners do. They just nod back at you with a smile and say "ya,ya"

Speaking about westerners, did you watch the video of the Barclays executive hurling vulgarities at the construction workers? Its only in Singapore, that he could do that. Any other country, they would have just buried him in the concrete, alive, lol.


True that. Asians never fail to blanket you with smiles and polite behaviour.

kikeo
Member
Member
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu, 26 Apr 2012
Location: Jurong West

Postby kikeo » Tue, 18 Dec 2012 2:10 pm

sabaisabai wrote:
True that. Asians never fail to blanket you with smiles and polite behaviour.


Well, you've already demonstrated in several topics how you hate SG and Asia and their local population. Now can you just p*ss off and go trolling somewhere else?

Thanks

sabaisabai
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun, 16 Dec 2012

Postby sabaisabai » Tue, 18 Dec 2012 2:23 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If I were either of the two, I'd demand lie detector tests, if for no other reason that if they are theoretically telling the truth via the tests, it will put the onus on the women. It's been known here for the women to do jail time when found out.

Of course, if their are guilty, they better just hope for Prada or Gucci bags in payment settled out of court.


How smart! What's your number, Mr lawyer. I will pass it to all my friends during lunch.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Dec 2012 5:00 pm

In your case, it doesn't matter as I've already got your number and guess what......

It's almost up. :cool:

phil30k
Regular
Regular
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri, 04 Jan 2008

Re: ITT - how to win an argument in some parts of Asia

Postby phil30k » Sat, 22 Dec 2012 12:26 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:I've learnt a few techniques over the years... maybe we can share some?

1. Never, ever, let logic get in the way of your argument. This is a western habit - thinking your argument has to be sound and logical for the other person to accept it. In Asia, not so. You can present and win the most illogical argument if you need to.

2. Be prepared to pay a little to win a lot. You don't need to win 100% to win in Asia. Give a bit to save face, and you can take the majority win.

3. Use physical intimidation. Puff out your chest, move into their space, raise your voice. Asians, generally, won't respond with violence to these tactics unlike some westerners.

4. Don't drag in family members, wives or highly emotional words unless you want to lose (the whole relationship in the real sense). Insulting someones mother will lose the argument. Some words - are highly offensive to some people - and they'd rather die than have you win after those words are said.

Others?


That's funny, I think to "win" an argument in Singapore, simply appeal to an authority and play the victim. That's what I do when people force arguments with me. :D


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests